Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

I don't like Metallica :p and I think DT have the right to use an orchestra, especially being as certain songs of certain albums were written with an orchestra in mind if not actually using an orchestra (fake or real).

Kenneth - I kind of agree with point 1, and agree with point 2. My response to 1. is "not always", but anyway :).

I dont think the two blend well in concert. A keyboard doing what they can will come through the mix with the better tonal qualities. Lets face it metal/rock is played far louder live than symphonies can match, start mic-ing a symphony and you are going to loose fidelity. Hell, metal/rock bands most always sound like shit live anyhow, fidelity is elusive due to some bizarre mind set of "must be intensely loud, screw all else"

That said I have enjoyed music recorded with orchestra arrangements since... forever. There have been many great songs done this way in rock since at least the late 60's.

They already used an orchestra.

They should go Big Band era. Use the TOP horns.

I love big band music but damned if I can figure it to comply with metal. Brian Setzer got it rockin a bit, its more similiar.

My favorite horn orchestrated piece is Uriah Heeps Salisbury(not counting early Chicago). Its an entire side of a album and becomes overly repetitive in areas but if they shortened it 5 miutes its a great composition and has some early metal leanings. A must have for progressive heads as far as Im concerned.

I dont think the two blend well in concert. A keyboard doing what they can will come through the mix with the better tonal qualities. Lets face it metal/rock is played far louder live than symphonies can match, start mic-ing a symphony and you are going to loose fidelity. Hell, metal/rock bands most always sound like shit live anyhow, fidelity is elusive due to some bizarre mind set of "must be intensely loud, screw all else"

That said I have enjoyed music recorded with orchestra arrangements since... forever. There have been many great songs done this way in rock since at least the late 60's.

you have no idea how loud brass can be.

they just need to get some drum corps contribution. and it would be much cheaper and cooler than an orchestra. I can't even imagine how amazing Octavarium would be, or In the Name of God

Last edited by a moderator:
you have no idea how loud brass can be.
they just need to get some drum corps contribution. and it would be much cheaper and cooler than an orchestra. I can't even imagine how amazing Octavarium would be, or In the Name of God

Oh I know how loud a horn is Trumpet was my first instrument. Still no comparision to a full blown live rock act. I've never been much on marching band music, something about it, too white(stiff) I suppose. Now the drums on the other hand I have great respect for. My teenage buddy and drummer was out of a competeing drum and bugle corp and what he could do with a drum set on drum fills knowing all those cadences was astounding.

News flash!

Every song will .....

Have a cool (maybe) riff
Repeat a few times
Another cool (maybe) riff
Repeat a few times
Have a lonnnngggggg, wanking solo that doesn't fit the rest of the song
Be long for the sake of being long because Mike doesn't like to edit

On top of that James will probably be forced (again) to sing outside of his range most of the time.

..... lather, rinse, repeat

Oh, wait, that's not a news flash. That's simply the DT formula!

This is more for the people who actually like DT, but no doubt it'll provide the haters with some more fuel... :rolleyes:

The song lengths and lyricists have been released:

1. "A Nightmare to Remember" (lyrics: John Petrucci) 16:10
2. "A Rite of Passage" (lyrics: John Petrucci) 8:35
3. "Wither" (lyrics: John Petrucci) 5:25
4. "The Shattered Fortress" (lyrics: Mike Portnoy) 12:49
5. "The Best of Times" (lyrics: Mike Portnoy) 13:07
6. "The Count of Tuscany" (lyrics: John Petrucci) 19:16

Lots of epics, which I'm glad about, because long songs is what they've always done best imo.

This is more for the people who actually like DT, but no doubt it'll provide the haters with some more fuel... :rolleyes:

The song lengths and lyricists have been released:

Lots of epics, which I'm glad about, because long songs is what they've always done best imo.

JLB didn't write anything???!!! :Smug:

Not a hater, just a waiter. Waiting for them to do something exciting again...
:p

I am really hoping they'll break the mold and start being creative again. I&W was a great album, everything until ToT tended to have a decent selection of great well-written songs, but Oct and SC fail miserably. Octavarium was about 20 minutes too long and seemed too fractal for me to say it was well written. It had some great parts in it though.

News flash!

Every song will .....

Have a cool (maybe) riff
Repeat a few times
Repeat a few times
Have a lonnnngggggg, wanking solo that doesn't fit the rest of the song
Be long for the sake of being long because Mike doesn't like to edit

On top of that James will probably be forced (again) to sing outside of his range most of the time.

..... lather, rinse, repeat

Oh, wait, that's not a news flash. That's simply the DT formula!

As weird as it sounds, one of the reasons I still enjoy listening to DT on occasion is not because of song structure or riff quality, but timbre...they have a knack for finding cool sounds. Pretty dumb reason to listen to a band, but I swear, some of their keyboard and guitar tone is just so pleasing to my ears, even if the song itself isn't amazing.

So I will probably buy it even though I agree with your complaint. :loco:

JLB didn't write anything???!!! :Smug:

Not a hater, just a waiter. Waiting for them to do something exciting again...
:p

I would've been excited to see if John Myung had penned any of the tunes, Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears, Fatal Tragedy, all great songs, with great lyrics...

Hopefully they're not as cheesy as on SC, looking forward to hearing them!

I love how anytime a normal thread for Dream Theater comes out it turn's into a DT haters thread, if you don't like them stay out of the thread simple isn't it?

My favorite DT hater post is the wanking thing (there are very few what has been explained to as i don't understand the solos so its wanking ) that are maybe in there last 2 efforts other than that I don't get all the bashing

I love DT, but for me I agree with the wankery. As awesome as these guys are, the past many albums seems to me they have this idea to 'insert random assortment of notes that has been played on every album here' kinda thing going. They are awesome musicians, but ive found they've lost feeling. The last song which really touched me was 'the answer lies within' and the last grooviest album was ToT. And the last masterpiece of an album was I&W. So you get the drift, to me its just lacking the feeling and emotion, because of this i've become bored.