Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

I love DT, but for me I agree with the wankery. As awesome as these guys are, the past many albums seems to me they have this idea to 'insert random assortment of notes that has been played on every album here' kinda thing going. They are awesome musicians, but ive found they've lost feeling. The last song which really touched me was 'the answer lies within' and the last grooviest album was ToT. And the last masterpiece of an album was I&W. So you get the drift, to me its just lacking the feeling and emotion, because of this i've become bored.

Very well put
I do agree that there last 3 efforts Don't grab me as the rest of there collection
My least favorite out of those as a whole album is Octavarium I can't really say that i can listen to the whole album threw as many times as i have tried to
But i do give them credit for trying something new for them and I can always find lots of pieces of music i really enjoy in tot + SC
I do have a feeling there is going to be a different vibe to the up coming cd not that i no what it will be but with that said im still glad that they didn't make a bunch of Images + words clone cd's and just keep sounding the same , so im looking forward and yes hopeing for a change that will bring me back to listing to a new cd all the way threw over and over again

Guess what im tring to say is I agree that they haven't wowed me for a whole album in a while but who can do that for that long of a period of time
Keep the faith!!!

'A Nightmare to Remember' and 'A Rite of Passage' have been leaked. I'm listening to the former right now.

So far, typical post-2000 DT, no surprises. Pseudo-metal lyrics, somewhat awkward time signature shifts, a bit of wank, eh. This album reminds me of a mixture between their debut and Systematic Chaos so far. Decent, not great.

EDIT: OH HOLY SHIT NU-METAL for about a minute there

Between When Dream and Day Unite and Images and Words, they used up all possible note combinations, vocal ideas and drum beats, fills and attack, since then its been mix and match, but in the mean time they have still managed to push a few great waves. Every band becomes redundant and lossed in their own sauce, so what ?

Between When Dream and Day Unite and Images and Words, they used up all possible note combinations, vocal ideas and drum beats, fills and attack, since then its been mix and match, but in the mean time they have still managed to push a few great waves. Every band becomes redundant and lossed in their own sauce, so what ?

This is true - however in my humble opinion, if you just used Symphony X as an example, while all of their albums share some features they have remained consistently more interesting than Dream Theater in later releases. SX always has a number of included beats, riffs, solos, tricks, or ideas on their albums that make you go 'wow, that was actually pretty fucking awesome.' It is possible to stay interesting within the same style of music. Dream Theater isn't right now. Just my two cents right thur.

Nope sorry, I find just as much redundency, and rehashing in Symphony X. they are slightly younger and have fewer recordings. About the only difference between the two bands is it is highly popular pass time to hate and bash Dream Theater, statis quo

I lack very few recordings by either band and I just dont have the time to sit around and bitch and cry. What the fuck some peoples problem is goes beyond my level of intellegence. Like I spend my time on death metal or black metal bands forums to bitch and cry about the style of music.... must take a higher order of intellegence to do this.

This is my review of all self heralded critics:

So fucking what? you dont like them or anybody else, so fucking what? go do something productive, go write some astounding song that is simply going to baffle the world so you can show Petrucci or any other "progger" how its all supposed to be done. Or just sit in the mud puddle spinning yer tires bitching and moaning about acheivements one will never obtain themselves.

Nope sorry, I find just as much redundency, and rehashing in Symphony X. they are slightly younger and have fewer recordings. About the only difference between the two bands is it is highly popular pass time to hate and bash Dream Theater, statis quo

I lack very few recordings by either band and I just dont have the time to sit around and bitch and cry. What the fuck some peoples problem is goes beyond my level of intellegence. Like I spend my time on death metal or black metal bands forums to bitch and cry about the style of music.... must take a higher order of intellegence to do this.

This is my review of all self heralded critics:

So fucking what? you dont like them or anybody else, so fucking what? go do something productive, go write some astounding song that is simply going to baffle the world so you can show Petrucci or any other "progger" how its all supposed to be done. Or just sit in the mud puddle spinning yer tires bitching and moaning about acheivements one will never obtain themselves.

Who's wasting his time bitching, now? :loco:

I see nothing wrong with critiquing a band for rehashing.

Both new songs rule...I dont understand the hate anymore...I love every album by them...A Nightmare to Remember has the best vocal line from dt since Images. Around 4 mins it gets soft and has Godly vocal melodies...

Dt fans are the worst people I've come across on the internet.

Who's wasting his time bitching, now? :loco:

I see nothing wrong with critiquing a band for rehashing.
As predictable as the next greatest pop song.

You have alot of bands to come down on for rehashing and I dont believe DT's fault is rehashing

I liked Octavarium. SC was average, some good moments ofcourse. Seems to be a trend in post 00 DT, mostly average fair with some good moments. 6 Degrees was the last album of theirs I thought was excellent. Train Of Thought is the most bloated, overrated piece of wank I've ever heard, song writing was terrible and DT just can't pull off that really heavy sound convincingly. SX can because they have always been heavy, though I prefer their more melodic albums to the recent heavy ones. Octavarium was really good, and SC was kinda like ToT but better.

New songs actually sound pretty good, still sounds like 00 post 00 DT, but the songs are pretty good. A Nightmare to Remember has a very 'Scenes From A memory' style keyboard solo jam part. Didn't think A rite Of passage was that great, cool chorus a bit different for DT but in a good way, but Petrucci's solo in this song really impressed me.

Edit: A nightmare to remember - god damn, they need to stop making Portnoys vocals a feature in their songs, he can't sing and he doesn't add anything to the songs. Just let LaBrie sing for fucks sake.

I agree. I think Portnoy's part in ANTR is lame but at the same time I like it cuz Mike is such a cool dude.

Images and Words, Awake, Metropolis Pt 2 : Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance and Octavarium are all amazing to me. While Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos being Flawed are still worth buying. The first album I've never heard and Falling Into Infinity is not bad. A Change of Seasons Isn't a full length but it's a great song..So Overall I have liked almost everything by Dt even my least favorite albums by them are better then most music out today.

If I would breakdown A Nightmare to Remember. It has a few SFAM type moments and then some parts that remind me of Six Degrees and the middle soft section vocal melodies remind me of Images and Words..but the overall feel is SysyChaos. I like it alot

I agree. I think Portnoy's part in ANTR is lame but at the same time I like it cuz Mike is such a cool dude.

Images and Words, Awake, Metropolis Pt 2 : Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance and Octavarium are all amazing to me. While Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos being Flawed are still worth buying. The first album I've never heard and Falling Into Infinity is not bad. A Change of Seasons Isn't a full length but it's a great song..So Overall I have liked almost everything by Dt even my least favorite albums by them are better then most music out today.

If I would breakdown A Nightmare to Remember. It has a few SFAM type moments and then some parts that remind me of Six Degrees and the middle soft section vocal melodies remind me of Images and Words..but the overall feel is SysyChaos. I like it alot

You mentioned there first album ,I hope you at least heard ytse jam on a recording or something , It's really the ony good song on the album

The albums really amazing but that old crazy prog metal vib, odd vocal timing or phrasing and melody. Nothing pretty there, kind of radical, I should put my tape in, been along time. Not really a go too recording but damn interesting. Ytse Jam rules.

Both new songs rule...I dont understand the hate anymore...I love every album by them...A Nightmare to Remember has the best vocal line from dt since Images. Around 4 mins it gets soft and has Godly vocal melodies...

Dt fans are the worst people I've come across on the internet.

funny your first paragraph almost had me convinced that you are a DT fan.

Just listened to Nightmare to Remember a couple times - really digging it. Much more so than anything off SC. For me, i just couldn't see what people found so awe-inspiring in SC. I pretty much dislike every song on it, from start to finish. I can sense a lot of those elements in this new song, but at least it doesn't kill the tone of the song. There are real jumps between sc to images and awake in the song for me, and the good bits of it are awesome.

And yeah, whoever let Portnoy sing AGAIN on a DT album should be shot. Do what you are actually good at: Play the fucking drums and shut up.

Not the biggest fan of rite of passage, but again, more enjoyable than anything on SC so far for me. Really looking forward to the album. But, for the love of god, i hope the boys sat down, listened to Images again, and asked themselves how they could capture that magic again.

agreed 100%^^^

but portnoys singing in ANTM was so breif i dont see why so many people would complain, especialy when the song is over 14 min...