Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

Tis true. I still listen to Images and Words more than any of Symphony X.

Accolade
Rediscovery part 2.

Those are goofy lyrics.

Take that SX fanboys!

The thing about songs with strange lyrics like Rediscovery P2 compared to songs like Nightmare to remember or Count of Tuscany, is that SX may indeed have some cheese-ass vocals but Allen delivers them so powerfully and sings EVERYTHING with so much emotion that it doesn't really matter and "I" hardly notice what he's singing about.

/shrug. As Postulate said... listen to Wicked, the lyrics just tell a story but that motherfucker sings with serious balls the whole song, and just delivers through the whole thing...even the bridge when he's singing softer. Perfect example.

The thing is, even looking back at songs by DT like Metropolis Pt. I or Strange Deja Vu, the music was always good even on those hits by the band, but the vocals were just kinda operatic and there was just no feeling...making the awful lyrics stand out and worsen. :zombie:

If you want metal cheese you go look at Dragonforce, or that other band... Rhapsody! Most of symphony x's lyrics are not cheesy, and pretty well wrote if you ask me. I do notice they use some of the awesome passages and or lyrical words in othersongs. Which is normal I suppose accept when they use an awesome word like lucid, or ethereal. When you heard them several times it starts loosing its pazazz lol

Of course SX's lyrics are cheesy, well written or not (I think they are, most of the time). The context is what makes them ok (well, again, most of the time).
well that if u only focus on th surface of th story : in th case e of S X it's not just about a stupid simple fictionnal story rather than th fantastic creation of a whole new world where the morals are hidden between th lines : th lyrics are not cheesy if u consider th symbolism within , which is th source of all that emotions in their music ; therefore usally for any band ,writing th lyrics is th toughest part through th writing process because th music is ultimately th translation ,th "soundtrack" of th lyrics which explaines th fact that many bands write lyrics for instrumental songs so let's just not underestimate this great band please , i think V is th best example . if we neglect th symbolism within fictional stories then in this case even Shakespeare would be cheesy not to mention Star Wars or L.O.T Rings :lol:

The thing about songs with strange lyrics like Rediscovery P2 compared to songs like Nightmare to remember or Count of Tuscany, is that SX may indeed have some cheese-ass vocals but Allen delivers them so powerfully and sings EVERYTHING with so much emotion that it doesn't really matter and "I" hardly notice what he's singing about.

I complete agree; great description.

I agree with PrgrsveMetalnChains. It's the delivery and execution of the lyrics through the singing that make you believe them. Thats a big reason why I'm so fond of bands like Symphony X, Iced Earth, and even Dio! Holy Diver is damn EASY CHEESE but the way Dio sings it brings it to life and makes you believe it.

Check out this video of Wicked and just listen to how Russel sings it. It is so badass.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfD0GTNS1A&NR=1[/ame]

I agree with PrgrsveMetalnChains. It's the delivery and execution of the lyrics through the singing that make you believe them. Thats a big reason why I'm so fond of bands like Symphony X, Iced Earth, and even Dio! Holy Diver is damn EASY CHEESE but the way Dio sings it brings it to life and makes you believe it.

Check out this video of Wicked and just listen to how Russel sings it. It is so badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfD0GTNS1A&NR=1

\m/ man, just fuckin \m/

As much as you guys are right about the "execution" of the vocals/lyrics. I still dont sense enough impartial minds around this thread.

If you want metal cheese you go look at Dragonforce, or that other band... Rhapsody! Most of symphony x's lyrics are not cheesy, and pretty well wrote if you ask me. I do notice they use some of the awesome passages and or lyrical words in othersongs. Which is normal I suppose accept when they use an awesome word like lucid, or ethereal. When you heard them several times it starts loosing its pazazz lol

Interesting point. I remember that I used to be very annoyed when listening to Time Requiem's first cd the fact that the word "everlasting" was present on the first four songs of that album. I thought I was the only one who minded those things.

I always thought it was the delievery and underlying message. Alot of that stuff seems always symbolic to reality even when they are put in a fantacy topic.

Its gotta be damn hard to write a solid album of lyrics that will suit the needs of such critics. I know our lyrics and vocal parts are the weakness or whats holding us back from concluded arrangement. I find some neat ways to word things and other passages Ill struggle with, or not be able to get anything going for the next part of the story.

So as usual I'll say let the critics show me something profound of their own or they are just blowing their own meaninglees smoke.

BTW: Holy Diver kicks it !

I'm with Danilo from first page of these posts. But the quality of Symphony X's stuff is why we have to wait. Like a great bourbon it has to develop into the awesomeness that we all know it will be. It's worth the wait, oh, yea, I feel it in my bones. They just finished touring a year ago, so in reality we are not waiting that long. I hope someone will post tour ticket availability the nano second they find out. I've seen them perform twice and it's definitely not enough. I'm surprised there hasn't been any hint of the new CD's title or theme or whatever. We knew Paradise Lost for quite some time before its release. Hey, Canto, Wicked is one of my top two SX tracks out of all they ever did. Fallen is my number one. Russ's vocal style in Wicked is incomparable to anything or anyone else. He is the god king of vocals, no kidding. Their lyrics are NOT cheesy, to anyone who says so. "out of the ashes of my youth, I'll rise a man..." that's genius, folks. "I waltzed with the wicked within.."" come ON!!

08530.ogre.gif

BASH GOOOOOOOD

It´s sad that the most famous thread here is this. After all this is SX forum.