Dream Theater Role Call in ATL

After seeing this, I'm kind of glad I didn't go. Dream Theater would have been the big draw for me (as I don't really know that much Zappa to appreciate ZpZ, or the other openers)...and honestly, I think this is a fucking terrible setlist. I understand the inclusion of three new tracks, that's fine. "Take the Time" is okay, but it's like the 4th best song on I&W, "Dance of Eternity"/"One Last Time" is cool b/c it's from my favorite album, but I can name about 4 songs from that album that I'd rather hear instead. Fuck "Solitary Shell"...it's just one part of a big long epic that would be better off played in it's entirety. And why do they ignore the first CD of that album? "The Glass Prison" is easily the best song on Six Degrees if not the best DT song ever. Furthermore, fuck "Prophets of War" and "Sacrificed Sons"...nowhere close to being the good songs on their respective albums. If they're gonna play something from Systematic Chaos, how about a song that actually rules like "Constant Motion" or "The Dark Eternal Night"? Hell, even "Forsaken"--they made a video for it! Jesus Christ, play the songs people might know!

And it seems like they care not for the songs that got them a shred of popularity to begin with. They can put a few songs in there that are fun to play just for them, that's fine, they can play whatever they want most of the time. But give the people what they want: where the fuck is "Pull Me Under"? You dedicated a goddamn greatest hits album to that song, yet you still fail to play it at most of your gigs...fuck that. And also, I rather enjoy the song "The Spirit Carries" on and think that it goes over really well live...see The Score for details. Lastly, nothing from the album Awake is just sad, if not unforgiveable. I hope the performance was good, and the people who went enjoyed it, because I probably would have been disappointed regardless.

I'm sorry, this upset me so much I had to log in and post for the first time in ages.

1. Terrible setlist... are you even a fan?
2. I'm glad you didn't go too, because you're the kind of fan Never Enough is about.
3. To actually break things down, using only the songs they've played the previous 3 times in Atlanta before this year, since those are the ones I've been to personally:
- Take the Time is the 4th best song? Debatable, but even if I agree, they've already played 1) Under a Glass Moon, 2) Surrounded, 3) part of Learning to Live, and 4) Pull Me Under & 5) Metropolis (1.5 times since once was a combo medley).
- 4 other songs from SFAM you would have rather heard? They've already played 1) Fatal Tragedy twice, 2) Home, 3) Beyond This Life, and 4) Part of Finally Free.
- Fuck Solitary Shell because it's part of a long epic song? Um, isn't everything SFAM one of those too? While you're at it, might as well include the songs from Portnoy's 12 steps of alcoholic recovery songs. Wait, but that includes Six Degrees which is the best one to you.
- Ignore the first CD off Six Degrees? They've played Glass Prison and Misunderstood.
- They should play Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night? They did... just a year ago. Man, maybe I'm starting to feel bad for you, kind of a tough break to miss all these songs you love. Must have pretty bad luck to not see ANY of them... or somehow not remember seeing any of them.
- Nothing from Awake? Well, to begin with, when 3 of the new songs are rather lengthy, and they only have 90 mins, and have 10 studio albums released in their name, it's kinda hard to hit every single one. But so far, I've gotten to hear 1) Scarred 2) Innocence Faded 3) Lie 4) Voices.
- Not playing songs that got them a shred of popularity? I'm not sure if you know, but DT isn't exactly the popular type of band with numerous radio hits.

I think that's about all I can hit. While I would never want the band to lose fans, I would personally be happy if you removed yourself from that crowd so I wouldn't have something in common with an unappreciative (any expletive) like you. I would gladly buy 2 albums and 2 concert tickets from now on to make up for your absence. Oops, I meant 1 ticket since you apparently don't go.

I love how Dream Theater fans go on a bender anytime someone has any negative thoughts against their messiahs. Its an opinion man... we all have them. No need to get all hot and bothered because of how Palabra feels. I think you are taking this a touch too serious.

I'm sorry, this upset me so much I had to log in and post for the first time in ages.

1. Terrible setlist... are you even a fan?
2. I'm glad you didn't go too, because you're the kind of fan Never Enough is about.
3. To actually break things down, using only the songs they've played the previous 3 times before this year, since those are the ones I've been to personally:
- Take the Time is the 4th best song? Debatable, but even if I agree, they've already played 1) Under a Glass Moon, 2) Surrounded, 3) part of Learning to Live, and 4) Pull Me Under & 5) Metropolis (1.5 times since once was a combo medley).
- 4 other songs from SFAM you would have rather heard? They've already played 1) Fatal Tragedy twice, 2) Home, 3) Beyond This Life, and 4) Part of Finally Free.
- Fuck Solitary Shell because it's part of a long epic song? Um, isn't everything SFAM one of those too? While you're at it, might as well include the songs from Portnoy's 12 steps of alcoholic recovery songs. Wait, but that includes Six Degrees which is the best one to you.
- Ignore the first CD off Six Degrees? They've played Glass Prison and Misunderstood.
- They should play Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night? They did... just a year ago. Man, maybe I'm starting to feel bad for you, kind of a tough break to miss all these songs you love. Must have pretty bad luck to not see ANY of them... or somehow not remember seeing any of them.
- Nothing from Awake? Well, to begin with, when 3 of the new songs are rather lengthy, and they only have 90 mins, and have 10 studio albums released in their name, it's kinda hard to hit every single one. But so far, I've gotten to hear 1) Scarred 2) Innocence Faded 3) Lie 4) Voices.
- Not playing songs that got them a shred of popularity? I'm not sure if you know, but DT isn't exactly the popular type of band with numerous radio hits.

I think that's about all I can hit. While I would never want the band to lose fans, I would personally be happy if you removed yourself from that crowd so I wouldn't have something in common with an unappreciative (any expletive) like you. I would gladly buy 2 albums and 2 concert tickets from now on to make up for your absence. Oops, I meant 1 ticket since you apparently don't go.

Hey...guess what...I don't give two shits what the band played in Los Angeles or New York City. I care about the show I'm going to see. He was making judgments about the Atlanta setlist, in case you didn't catch onto that. And he's right.

And I was only commenting about the Atlanta setlists they've had for the past 6 years. I don't care what they play in other cities either, doesn't affect me.

It's not that he doesn't like it; hell, I don't like every song of theirs or their setlist choices. But all I did was to logically point out why "his" songs didn't get played. If he's gonna whine about it rudely, I'm gonna do it right back.

But I'll just shut up before I do anything that gets me banned.

And I was only commenting about the Atlanta setlists they've had for the past 6 years. I don't care what they play in other cities either, doesn't affect me.

Correct, and Mike Portnoy spends a LOT of time determining which songs each city will get on the following tour, based on what's been played in that city (or within reasonable driving distance).

It's a very cool thing for DT to do....but this time it meant that Atlanta got a sub-par setlist. IMO, of course.

Yeah - I think that's the flaw in the system. It's cool they change the set so its fresh for repeat fans - but this was my first DT show (I've been a fan for years, just never made a show). To be honest, it was not the setlist I was expecting. That's great they've played those songs I was expecting in years past, but at the end of the day - that means nothing to me.

Would I see DT again? Hell yes. Was I still a little bummed by the set? Yes.

Does that make me any less of a fan? I wouldn't think so. I know all the songs they played - but that doesn't mean I will enjoy Solitairy Shell as much as Glass Prison for instance.

Like you said - they only have so much time and so many albums to play from. That's why the final setlist was even stranger to me. All the albums and that was our song selection. I know why we got what we did - but can I feel a little bummed for $60? Yeah

It's not that he doesn't like it; hell, I don't like every song of theirs or their setlist choices. But all I did was to logically point out why "his" songs didn't get played. If he's gonna whine about it rudely, I'm gonna do it right back.

But I'll just shut up before I do anything that gets me banned.

Ah, ok, I misunderstood what you were saying then.

But just so I understand your point, let me clarify. He has no right to be unhappy with their setlist in 2009 just because they played some songs he likes in 2004 and 2005?