Dream Theatre

I like Dream Theater quite a lot. Scenes From a Memory is good, but if you like that, you should check out Images and Words and Awake (my personal favorite). My favorite part of Dream Theater is not their technicality. They are ridiculously skilled musicians, but I think their lyrics and compositions are usually their best feature. Lyrically, Awake is a very dark album, and I got into it at a time when I could relate to much of the lyrics (Lie and Space Die Vest especially).

You're referring to "Silent Man" from Awake. Awake is by far their darkest album, I think Kevin Moore was having problems with a girlfriend or something when some of those lyrics/music were written. Some quite angry stuff. Also, Space Die Vest is a very distraught tune. But I'm afraid if you are looking for dark and gloomy stuff...you better stick with doom metal, because Dream Theater isn't it.

I know what you mean. I love dark, gloomy music, and I don't think there is enough good doom metal out there. It's such a small genre, overall. I know you're a doomster :) I am too!

Yeah, unfortunately the genre Dream Theater falls into doesn't get very dark usually. Probably the most dark, gloomy band in that so-called prog/metal genre is Evergrey, from Sweden. They are very good, I highly recommend them if you like more traditional sounding metal with keyboards and a dark edge.

Originally posted by Elisstar
I like Dream Theater quite a lot. Scenes From a Memory is good, but if you like that, you should check out Images and Words and Awake (my personal favorite). My favorite part of Dream Theater is not their technicality. They are ridiculously skilled musicians, but I think their lyrics and compositions are usually their best feature. Lyrically, Awake is a very dark album, and I got into it at a time when I could relate to much of the lyrics (Lie and Space Die Vest especially).

Yeah u listen to the guitars and its like...... How the hell do you do that. Does their guitarist have like 10 fingers on on hand? I really like the concept behind scenes from a memory, a very good, origonal idea

Then you should try Liquid Tension Experiment!!
I would recommend LTE2 its fantastic instrumental prog metal gone wild. :eek: