Dredg thoughts

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I have two of their CDs: El Cielo and Catch Without Arms. I never heard their earlier work. How does it compare to these discs?

What does everyone think of Dredg in general?

Orph EP - C+
2001 demos - A-
Leitmotif - A
El Cielo - A+
Catch Without Arms - B-

a very enjoyable band, I have all of their unreleased and rare songs except their first "rapcore" EP. they don't write bad music. ever.

^sanzen is amazing. but i was actually kinda disappointed by catch without arms. There didn't seem to be nearly as much experimentation on the album. I hope their next album is great because i dont wanna be let down again by a band that i feel has so much potential.

catch without arms was a good album for them for several reasons. but most important of all, it showed their more focused and accessible possibilities. rather than using that same style with the first 2, showing purely a sophisticated but longggg scoped pretention, they proved they can write shorter, more concise and catchy, but thoughtful tracks as well. i imagine they can go back to being more broad and experimental on the next album.

Well great, theyre good at writing pop songs. But nfu, don't you think that any good song writer, progressive or not, if they really tried, could chug out a decent pop song. I don't listen to dredg because I want to hear verse chorus verse bridge chorus. I would prefer they astound me than present me with solid pop songs. I agree with you that they're fully capable of really good, concise rock songs. But they're a band i go to for more than that. Don't you?

BurningSky said:
Well great, theyre good at writing pop songs. But nfu, don't you think that any good song writer, progressive or not, if they really tried, could chug out a decent pop song. I don't listen to dredg because I want to hear verse chorus verse bridge chorus. I would prefer they astound me than present me with solid pop songs. I agree with you that they're fully capable of really good, concise rock songs. But they're a band i go to for more than that. Don't you?

well...they actually transcend any sort of pedestrian criticisms you think youre validated in giving them, so frankly i would just stick a cork in it. But to answer your question...no, i have enough albums/bands of epic, pretentious rock to last me a lifetime, sometimes its good to have very talented and interesting artists write shorter songs. Im not always in the mood for a long musical journey...i dont always have the time or the mindset for that. For instance...Peter Gabriel's solsbury hill. 3 minute track, but no less quality or essential than any 10-20 minute epic genesis ever wrote with him. but using your logic then...benighted, isolation years, hours of wealth, face of melinda, credence, and all of damnation etc. is of no interest to you right?

not true at all actually. I like pretty much all of those songs and solsbury hill is over 4 and a half minutes. I don't have a problem with pop songs and i know you have tons of prog music to listen to since you make it ever so clear. I just want more from dredg than catch without arms provides. I like the album for what it is, but its not something i want them to go for again. That doesnt mean i want them to remake leitmotif or el cielo, either. I just would rather them expand on new musical boundaries than prove they can make good pop/rock songs.

BurningSky said:
not true at all actually. I like pretty much all of those songs and solsbury hill is over 4 and a half minutes. I don't have a problem with pop songs and i know you have tons of prog music to listen to since you make it ever so clear. I just want more from dredg than catch without arms provides. I like the album for what it is, but its not something i want them to go for again. That doesnt mean i want them to remake leitmotif or el cielo, either. I just would rather them expand on new musical boundaries than prove they can make good pop/rock songs.

did i also not make it clear that i said they could easily go back to their older style now without any issue? did i not state that i felt it was just good for them to change it up and have some variance, and that they did it well? i like the album for what it is too and thats all i was saying...so what are you even on about right now?

Reactions: localloadie
I have el Cielo, it's a great album. BUT...

this will sound ridiculous, but you have to be latino to know this, i think. There is a band frm Chile called "la ley". They are pretty famous and i HATE them sooo fucking bad, especially the singer. Well, guess what? The guy from Dredg sings *EXACTLY* the same as this guy i hate, they have the exact same voice. This is a bit of an issue to me, but i still love Dredg

Reactions: localloadie