Dredg

SSJ2 Vegeta said:
3 bucks for Catch Withut Arms?! That's awesome.

It is quite awesome. I was actually really surprised. I had heard a lot about the band but for some reason hadn't got any of their music. I was looking through a bargain bin at a cd store and decided I would give it a shot when I found it for three bux...and now I am hooked. Also, I'm glad to see that so many people here enjoy this band...I wasn't sure if anyone else liked them.

SSJ2 Vegeta said:
3 bucks for Catch Withut Arms?! That's awesome.
Man I know! Not only that but it's an actual reason to like bands that aren't popular other than liking unknown stuff for its own sake

I paid 11 dollars for Leitmotif, which is still a good deal.

Jude said:
Man I know! Not only that but it's an actual reason to like bands that aren't popular other than liking unknown stuff for its own sake

I paid 11 dollars for Leitmotif, which is still a good deal.

How is Leitmotif? Should I try and find that album too? On a side note, I got 'Catch without Arms' for 3 dollars (which is ridiculous) and 'El Cielo' only cost me nine dollars. So I got a great deal on both of them actually.

Wow, I wasn't sure fans of Opeth would dig dredg, but it's very obvious that good taste in metal is proof of good taste in music. One of the things that attracts me to dredg is that over the course of each album, they have dramatically changed. They never do the same thing twice, and I'm hoping that trend continues on to their next album.

I have a friend whose favorite band is Opeth. He likes Leitmotif, but hasn't yet warmed up to El Cielo. I'm hoping that'll change.

I LOVE dredg. I've seen them like six or seven times in the last couple years. VERY versatile band. They are also the coolest band you could ever meet. They will walk up and talk to you more often than not. You don't have to wait by the back door or anything, they'll be in the crowd after they're done. Note that in the acoustic video, that's the drummer, Dino, playing the keys. He will actually play keys AND drums at the same time during shows.

The demo that was mentioned is actually titled Orph. It's a 3 song demo and is the shit. It's very heavy, almost nu-metalish, but good. It's hard to explaing, but I would recommend it. If anyone really wants it, I've got it on my computer. There is actually another pre-Leitmotif demo, Conscious. It was recorded when Gavin was still playing guitar and hadn't taken over as vocalist. It's also very good.

If any of you like Sangreal and Zebraskin, you should check out the Coquette demo, the demo for Catch. The versions of those two songs really stand out.

Faves:
Conscious - Ignore Me (awesome drum intro)
Orph - Kayasuma (wonderful vocals)
Leitmotif - Intermission
El Cielo - Whoa Is Me
Catch Without Arms - Matroshka/The Ornament
Others - Running Through Propellors, The Papal Insignia, Walter's Soundtrack, The Ornament (with vocals)
All-time fave - Halong Bay

On a side note, Canyon Behind Her was written about Salvador Dali's Dream Caused By The Flight Of a Bee Around a Pomegranate One Second Before Awakening. Check out the lyrics and take a look at the painting. Pretty cool shit. You guys should also check out some of Drew's paintings. Drew Roulette. My old apartment had 3 of his paintings in it, but my roommate held onto them.

great band...

leitmotif is an alright album, you need to really be ready to sit down and just listen to instrumentals though...

they did a demo, which has a great track "propellers" (or something to that effect, i can't find my mp3's of them right now)...

orph is an ok demo...

"el cielo" is their shining moment, by far...brilliant album, and to have seen them tour during that stint, was, well incredible, i've never heard a band nail their sound so prefectly on a tour before...

"catch without arms" is ok, but like someone else said, very much about it's hooks...i do like it, but i feel like they got a little lazy with this one, though, that could be moreso due to the height "el cielo" reached...

i might just have to go see them at taste of chaos this saturday...haven't decided just yet...

AnewKINDofFEELIN said:
On a side note, Canyon Behind Her was written about Salvador Dali's Dream Caused By The Flight Of a Bee Around a Pomegranate One Second Before Awakening. .
actually, the entire album is! and lucid dreaming, with this as an example

look at the anagram: brushstroke dcbtfoabaaposba.

i must confess that i have a bad prejudice about groups like dredg.i think that they were like creed,soundgarden,audioslave...etc.but when i listen catch without arms i was shocked.it is really very good album.these guys are good musicians.it is not a hollow music and includes a lot of different senses.i regret about my prejudice.but i think it is not too late.

I really enjoy this band. One of the few GOOD commerical bands. Everything is different by them and they can really suit almost any mood for me. I love to just sit back and listen to some Dredg.