Drinking horns?

theguywiththedrinkinghorn

boot destroyah
Sep 2, 2008
vimaranes, north of portugal
Hi there

I recently (a month ago :p) bought a drinking horn, but it absorves the damn drinks....and has always some dust, it sorta erodes

what shud i do? from what i heard most of them have some sort fo wax in the inside...mine doesnt... ive been told to have some coca-cola to corrode all the fat or something, wud that work??

anyways, if u guys have pics from your drinking horns post them :)

ill post mine soon.... its a small pic tough from a crappy mobile phone...

btw mine costed 10€...a blowing horn was 15€ at the place i bought...

there was some similiar thread but was some years old i guess i shudnt ress it :p

EDIT:
heres is the pic :p

i can get it out of that leather thing its not glued or anything :)
horngb8.png

I got a 0,5 L Horn... for 24€ on a midages market, so it was a bit more expensive. just try cleaning it with normal cold or a bit warm water. not hot water and no soap or something. should work. no picture from it. but my buddy I was on Rockharz to see Amon, he got his Drinkin Horn signed by the band. kicks fuckin ass...

i washed with water, it cleans it enough for drinking i guess, it wont be a bit of queratine in the drink that will kill me :p

but the damn thing absorves the beer! really, it just starts gettign weat in the outside and beer slowly disappears....

i guess i just need to drink it fast :p

idk the words lol, but i bougth mine in those events recreating medieval era, its really nice to go there, and hidromel is good! only found it there so far...

havent seen horns for sale in stores :(

and there werent big horns either...... mine has about 0,33 L that aint bad i guess :)

i didnt have the oportunity to see AA live yet :( when they came to portugal they came to the far south and im from the north...

geeze, you guys really have tiny littly faggot horns :D

Mine was already waxed when I bought it so I can't help you out there (I have another non waxed one which makes the beer bubble like crazy when I put some in... pretty weird... but anyway I never use it, its too damn small). I also have an olliphant (sp?) but i have difficulty producing a sound with it (i lack practice).

mine has been waxed, too. actually 0,5 L is enough, so... but I got to drink out of a 13 L drinkin Horn, there was a Horn maker on the festival. this was the biggest one. I paid 10 € to get one drink out of it :D it was a huge drink and it was fun. there was met in it and a little ship boating around on the met, looks pretty strange to drink then ^^

found a picture of that huge drinkin horn...its before we put met in it, I had to discuss that with this guy.

geeze, you guys really have tiny littly faggot horns :D

Mine was already waxed when I bought it so I can't help you out there (I have another non waxed one which makes the beer bubble like crazy when I put some in... pretty weird... but anyway I never use it, its too damn small). I also have an olliphant (sp?) but i have difficulty producing a sound with it (i lack practice).
Not everyone needs to compensate for lack of size in "other areas" with a huge drinking horn, Celtic... :lol: (Dude, you walked right into that one...)

You melt the wax, pour it in the horn, swish it around until it cools, then repeat until the horn is coated all the way. It is not safe to drink out of an unfinished horn, so use bees wax or go the "non period" way and varnish it. Different countries have different brands of varnish, you'll have to ask for a food grade on at your local hardware store. Wax is much better than varnish anyhow. You might be able to find bees wax candles to melt down if you can't find just plain wax. Any store that sells wood generally will carry wax, since it is used for wood finishing, but you can also go to the health food store, a candle maker's supply store or a bee keeper's store (apiary).

You can always drink it fast to avoid dripping.

If you make your own (its quite hardcore but possible) I think you can also seal it in some way while it is still "fresh" from the slaughterhouse?

If nothing helps, you can recycle it as one of these. They are called Alboka and sound quite cool.

alboka1-full.jpg

Do you have Tandy's in Cali? Tandy's sell stuff on-line, are very reliable and give discounts to bussinesses. They stock unfinished horns at very reasonable prices. I've bought several from there for personaly use, but my living history group also uses them to supply us with unfinished horns that we finish and sell.
I have friends that make very nice horns. If you have no luck with Tandy's, PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up.