Drinking horns?

at the AA show here last Friday there were lik 20 people with drinking horns, and not a SINGLE one had any drink in it. They just brought the shit to raise every time Hegg raised his.

Goddamn Americans.

Eeeeh, well, if you go farther back in this thread, or maybe it was in one of the other horn-threads, you'll see I've written clear warnings: IF YOU DO NOT CLEAN AND TREAT THE HORN PROPERLY BEFORE YOU USE IT, IT WILL SMELL PUTRID. Forever. Dead animal is a good way of putting it. Like something curled up under a rock and died. Whoever sold it to you did not pre-treat it properly. If it is not waxed properly, you can get food poisoning from it, too, so, dude, re-wax it just to make sure, OK?

Eeeeh, well, if you go farther back in this thread, or maybe it was in one of the other horn-threads, you'll see I've written clear warnings: IF YOU DO NOT CLEAN AND TREAT THE HORN PROPERLY BEFORE YOU USE IT, IT WILL SMELL PUTRID. Forever. Dead animal is a good way of putting it. Like something curled up under a rock and died. Whoever sold it to you did not pre-treat it properly. If it is not waxed properly, you can get food poisoning from it, too, so, dude, re-wax it just to make sure, OK?

Haha, I guess you're referring to me ;)
I had contact with the seller, and he gave me a few tips how to clean it properly. If that doens't work, I'll re-wax it.

Thanks for the tip!!

You pretty much have to take the wax of, boil the horn thoroughly, maybe even sand it a bit more on the inside (use a dremmel - it's way quickera, looks better and gets the smell out for sure), then re-wax. It's a pain in the ass to work with horn, since it's very hard to sand properly inside a horn, which is why it's quite common to get things that stink off the net. When you buy them in person, you'd not buy something that smelled, so the ones that do, get shipped off via the net. Not to worry, though, it is possible to get rid of that putrid smell. The nest thing to do is what haayema already did - contact the seller and ask, or contact Tandy or someone who knows what they're doing. There is a limit to how "historically correct" one needs to be. Personally, I can put up with hand sewing itchy garments, wearing uncomfortable shoes and sounding lika a walking christmas tree, but I draw the line at food poisoning, and using an improperly finished horn will give you food poisoning. Therefore, I consider it OK to get the horn finished with modern methods if that's what it takes. Maybe someone who deals in horns, bone and antlers knows of more modern techniques than I do. But, for what it's worth, that's the good old way of fixing putrid horn smell.

I was thinking of bringing my horn to the Baltimore show in a couple of days but I don't know what the hell I would do with it if I got in the pit.

i brought my horn to the show. being in the pit was no biggie if you have it attached well- just make sure it's empty. :)

yeahh... mine smelled like cow for the first five or so times I used it.

i've got pics i need to develop- i don't know of any other girl with one so i must stake my claim as first! haha.

Bought myself a horn today!
But I have a question:

1) How do I know mine is waxed? I scratched the surface to see if some wax came under my nails
but the surface is very hard so I assume it isn't treated with wax. I asked the seller (who is very reliable)
if it was already treated and he confirmed.
Stupid as I am I didn't ask with what product it was treated..
And it still smells a bit, it doesn't stink but it's not a pleasant odor either.
I think I'm going to re-wax it.

dsc00158.jpg

About 0,5m and I can fill it with 0,7 l

OK, if it's treated with wax it's the inside only. Wax is visible with the naked eye, and you'd smell it and you'd certainly feel it if you pressed down on the inside with your finger. If it's waxed, you'd know. Wax goes on thick. "Treated", however, can also mean treated with any number of chemical coats, a more modern way of doing it. It makes for a quick way to get a nice shiny horn with less elbow grease, which looks great but it generally doesn't get rid of that famous stink. Some modern coats are not food safe, either - just meant to look good - so make sure yours is, OK?! Chances are, that what you have is a horn that's been treated to be food safe with a modern chemical coating. You can still wax the inside, even if you have a modern finish horn. That might help out with the smell.

Tyra, you seem to know what you're talking about so I have yet another question for you.
I still didn't fill my recently purchased horn with anything but water (two times). Each time I poured the water out of the horn (after a day) it kinda stinks for a few days until the stench fades away.
About two weeks ago I noticed some spots in the inside of the horn (at the bottom), looks like fungus.
Now it's invading all the inside of the horn (the couple of spots multiplied, and still are multiplying and turning bigger).
I took an iron nail and scratched the surface of those spots but nothing came off so it's not fungus, I think...
If it helps, the spots are the biggest at the bottom..
But I wanna know if it's safe to drink out or not.

I think the seller didn't know what he was talking about (he said it was treated with wax while I can't scratch it off the surface)
Maybe that's the problem, that it isn't treated yet.
Tyra, do you recognize what I'm talking about?
Thanks

Very nice horn Lopt. Anyone know of a site where I can get a med-large sized horn and see pictures of the actual horn I'm getting? A lot of the sites just give you a random horn when you order, I have a pretty nice one now but it's brown and creme colored, I want a really nice glossy black or mostly black horn.