Drone Doom

Sunn are quite good, their recent Australian tour with Attilla from Mayhem was incredible, however a band I prefer musicially, though Sunn put on a better spectacle is KTL. Its very extreme, computer orientated with black metal running right through it but I would still hazard to call it drone.

I wish there were more drone bands, you'd think there would be, considering it's not the most difficult genre to compose songs in. That's my only real problem with drone is the difficulty in finding a variety of bands. Of course they're mostly sound similiar anyways, considering there's not a lot of room to radically change or diffreniate in. Like I'm not saying you can't experiment and the such (as that's one of the primary aspects) it just seems limited quite often.

I listen to a little drone doom. Interesting stuff. I love playing Sunn O))) through some good speakers.

Some other drone doom/drone bands I like:
Boris (when they're doing drone)
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Earth
Fear Falls Burning
Nadja
Orthodox (sort of drone...
Deathprod

I listen to a little drone doom. Interesting stuff. I love playing Sunn O))) through some good speakers.

Some other drone doom/drone bands I like:
Boris (when they're doing drone)
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Earth
Fear Falls Burning
Nadja
Orthodox (sort of drone...
Deathprod

First three are good. Of the others I'm only familiar with Nadja, and I can't really picture the sound in my head so I have little to comment on at the time.

God damn...This thread hasnt been touched in over 2 years...

Just started scratching the surface with the genre the past few months, hitting all the big names previously mentioned...Sunn, Boris, Earth, Jesu, Nadja etc.

One thats really been kicking my ass is Bong.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the first genres I really dived into when I first started listening to metal (besides BM) was funeral doom. Through funeral doom, I cam across drone. Admittedly, first encounter couldn't get into it (weird, huh coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed funeral doom), but after awhile totally got into it.

Khanate are REALLY an acquired taste, weird vocals and all even for drone... but still one of my favorites from this genre. I didn't think to post this for the thread the most depressing music you own, but yes this would be among them!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the first genres I really dived into when I first started listening to metal (besides BM) was funeral doom. Through funeral doom, I cam across drone. Admittedly, first encounter couldn't get into it (weird, huh coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed funeral doom), but after awhile totally got into it.

Khanate are REALLY an acquired taste, weird vocals and all even for drone... but still one of my favorites from this genre. I didn't think to post this for the thread the most depressing music you own, but yes this would be among them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1HSHjeJ4w[url]

Hi evryone, i checked internet, but here seemed to be the best place to ask.
I listen to drone/doom/sludge etc...
And i'm lookin for something to fit my tastes.

My prefered albums are :

Burial chamber trio - s/t
Gravetemple - ambient/ruin
Sunn - black One
Moss - sub templum
Teeth of lions rule the divine - rampton
Khanate - s/t

would like to know if there are other albums like those
:3

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned in the thread but I'll list them all anyway:

Black Boned Angel - One of the heaviest sounding along with Moss. All their studio stuff is good, but particularly The End, Verdun, and the reissue of Supereclipse.

Monarch - Their earlier stuff is great, but I quite like Never Forever too.

Plastic Gods

Eagle Twin - More of a sludge band with elements of drone/doom. Check out The Unkindness of Crows.

Also these classics of the genre:

Earth - Extra-Capsular Extraction
Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version
Boris - Absolutego
Corrupted - Llenandose de gusanos

first of all, thx for fast reply Bloopy
after hearing your recommendations, corrupted and black boned angel are on the moss vibe for sure and huge sounding i like it.
the first album of plastic gods is really nasty with the vocals, the second seems too eclectic for me :|
but quadriplegiac is very good .
i'll dig more into earth today (they still are the roots)

eagle twin is more sludgy, as for boris... welll... how should i put that..... maybe if i were into drugs , but not anymore, i kinda don't get them, but i do recognize them as an influence for many and respect that.

and finally : monarch... they try too much to be and sound evil but as yoda said :
do or do not, there is no try. they fail on that imo

and by the way earth reminds me of clouds taste satanic, you may like it, the first album from beyond the earth is amazing ;)

many thanks to you for helping me find new amazing bands (corrupted,black boned angel and plastic gods )