Dropping In...

Seems like Trav

No Such Thing
Nov 7, 2001
32.71 N / 117.16 W
www.seempieces.com
Hey you guys.
I was surprised when Wendy told me this forum was up.
But i think it's really cool and i appreciate the input so far.
I'm gonna make it a point to come here everymorning
during my firt 8 cups of coffee. I'll read each new post and
reply accordingly, if necessary and anything unrelated I'll start
a new post. Seems like there are already some issues worth responding to, but at the moment I gotta get some deadlines out the door but i'll be back.

Thanks for the time and interest.

Trav

Wow, cool :) I have a question *puts hand up*

AFDTE cover, I think we just about sorted thisout over on the Anathema board, but the guy has faked suicide yeah? A missed call, a picture of his family, so he's taken his clothes off to look like he drowned himself? If so, why the pills and gun when you turn over the cd cover and see the guys face in the mirror?

And I love some of the discarded Opeth artworks :D I second spawn on this one is there anything you can't do you bastard? ;) :loco: I showed my girlfriend some of your artworks, and I think its safe to say she's jealous to the point of wanting you dead ;) Well not quite, but....

Hi Trav! Nice of you to join us :)

I'm intrigued about the Anathema cover as well, but I'm also curious about your influences. Who influenced your style, or is it something that developed over the years and you can no longer pinpoint when or how you started painting/illustrating this way?;)

Ok, a non arty related question from me, but do you listen to all the bands that you do the art for? If so, who are your favourites?
Go on, just say so, you wont hurt anyones feelings :)

Also, is it true you never heard the dead heart album before you did the art for it? (I read it in an interview with Warrel)
The art fits that album SO well that I think you and nevermore have some kind if mind meld thing going on if thats true!

Good Morning. Ok...

Anathema cover. well that's a tough one. The hints are in the lyrics.
Especially in Pressure, Exit, and Peace. The official word is it COULD HAVE BEEN faked. probably was. The BAck cover ties into the front as
it's the night before. it is real but sybolic. all the items are really in the car.
maybe they were used to cope, and maybe they are just there.
but there are little clues in the booklet art that tell it as it is..

Influences, concious and not so concious. Dave McKean obviously.
I ike Ashley Wood and Niklas Sundin, and Hugh Syme and
many others. I dont know how much influence each has to what level as my frame of mind feel somewhat the same as it always did Yes I listen to (most of) the bands i work with and oddly enough, some of my favorite bands ever are Anathema, Devin Townsend, Katatonia, & Opeth.

Yes It's true about nevermore. Actually the dead heart cover
was a last desperate attempt for a cover after a few others were rejected.
(some rejects wound up around the package). I was out of 'Nevermore'
ideas and started going through my sketchbooks lokking for an idea that might fit and did that one and showed it to warrel. He said 'Holy Shit'
Thats it! It's Perfect". I didnt realize why he was so excited until he faxed me the lyrics a week later. Same thing happened with dreaming, too. but that one
was even spookier. i definitely think warrel and I have some kind of unhealthy mindmeld going on sometimes

I never inked any spawn stuff..

T

I read the story about the DNB cover as well in another interview with warrel, talk about freaky!

I could have sworn you have inked spawn stuff...I must be going mad (or madder) ;)

Yeap! Niklas Sundin kickss major ass :)
It's a shame he is so good, so you won't do a Dark Tranquillity cover, damn!!! XDDDDDDD

well importance is something your art "demmand" asures...but still I'm the ones who think, that is the audience who chooses who's worth and who's not!
and BTW Wendy did choose perfectly entering on a forum where's placed Opeth, Katatonia and Anathema...bands you already worked for :)
cheers 'cause Travis got even more famouse (even I hope that doesn't spoil his creativity!!!)

I hope not too. HAHAHAHAAHA
i forgot to answer a question above:

yes. i listen to most of the bands i've worked with and
many who i havent. Some of my favorite all time bands
incude Devin Townsend, Anathema, KAtatonia, and Opeth,
among many many others. but how's that for coincedence?

T

NP: Soilwork: the Chainheart Machine

Hello Travis,

I'm similar to the throbbing masses who loves your work, especially the Katatonia, Opeth and Anathema stuff. My all time favourite being the 'Tonight's Decision' work for Katatonia. The booklet is sensational.

I was wondering how these European bands got in contact with you? I know it's most likely word of mouth after a while- but what kicked it off? Did you know any of the guys personally?

Regards,

Ben.

well for those 3 bands, I think they are all connected... one day i happened to get an email from Anders in Katatonia. Or so he said because katatonia was one of my favorite bands and i thought it was a hoax. He said he liked my stuff and would be interested in working with me. i put the word out
to them i was an opeth fan as well and the next thing you know. So from there opeth goes over to music for nations and after the black water park thing is done i just asked the guys at MFN if i could submit something for anathema to see what happens. So far i seem to have a pretty good
relationship going with all of them

t