Drum Samples, Replacement, Triggers FAQ

I didn't mention Battery simply because it's not a sound replacer, but more of a VSTi that you can load drum sounds into. However, if you had something like KTDrumTrigger where you were converting audio to MIDI then Battery would definitely fit the bill, just like EZDrummer, DFHS, BFD or Addictive Drums.

~006

About ghost notes: I usually make a copy of the already compressed + Drumagog'ed + EQed + maybe reverbered snare track, and mute it all except for the ghost notes (or low volume drum rolls) parts. Then I mute those parts in the main snare track. Next thing is to lower the sensibility in Drumagog (in the copied track) so that it catches all of those mofo snare ghost hits. Should I do this thing on the main snare track, I'd have a flam mess all along :D

Sometimes I also tend to add a bit of short delay (23-30ms), 20-25% wet mix and no repetitions (or a simple doubler, maybe even better), especially when I don't have proper drum roll samples. This way, even single-hit low power snare hits gain that "brushing" sound. Last thing, I raise the volume of the modified track by a notch or two: with 4 guitar tracks, screaming and growling vocals, OH and such, you want to make sure those drum roll parts don't come out as if the drummer stopped playing :)

On my band's MySpace page (in the signature below) you can listen to the raw mix of a new track, where I used this method for the ghost notes and drum rolls. Let me know what you think!

Oh, and BTW: for metal, especially if you have a pussy-hitting drummer, make sure you put a compressor + noise gate before Drumagog (the Steinberg dynamics plugin will work wonders, we're not striving for sonic quality here cause our sound will be eventually sampled, so better to keep the CPU usage low) - it will give consistency to your parts, helping drumagog use the right (=hi power) snare hits during the song, keeping the lower power hits for subtler passages.

I just wanna add that the pro version of Drumagog, will do with midi what you mentioned KTDrumTrigger can do (can be fed into DFHS/EZDrummer).

+1
Awesome thread... I'm still learning new tricks, keep em coming... thanks guys!

Just to add my 2 cents: My personal preferance is Drumagog. For a snare track that is hard to find the right trigger settings I sometimes will make 2 passes at it. First pass with the setting that I get the best results over all then bounce the audio out to a new track. Next pass adjusting the settings to get the subtle hits that weren't accurate and bouce that audio to a new track. I then splice the two new tracks together and presto! Nice new perfect sounding track. I've tried other methods but this one was the least time consuming.

:cool:

Very nice!!

Consider your trick stolen!
cheers!:headbang:

+1
Awesome thread... I'm still learning new tricks, keep em coming... thanks guys!

Just to add my 2 cents: My personal preferance is Drumagog. For a snare track that is hard to find the right trigger settings I sometimes will make 2 passes at it. First pass with the setting that I get the best results over all then bounce the audio out to a new track. Next pass adjusting the settings to get the subtle hits that weren't accurate and bouce that audio to a new track. I then splice the two new tracks together and presto! Nice new perfect sounding track. I've tried other methods but this one was the least time consuming.

:cool:

hmmm i must try this now!!

I have one question concerning the snare samples posted on this forum. How do I combine the top and bottom samples? with 2 instances of drumagog?

I also don't know how much of each is used. I program my drums so I use drumagog's midi features, I use 100% blend for the snare when its an all in one sample, but how do I blend the top and bottom samples?

Thanks

I have one question concerning the snare samples posted on this forum. How do I combine the top and bottom samples? with 2 instances of drumagog?

I also don't know how much of each is used. I program my drums so I use drumagog's midi features, I use 100% blend for the snare when its an all in one sample, but how do I blend the top and bottom samples?

Thanks

You would replace the snare top track with one instance of drumagog and the stand bottom track with another instance of drumagog. Im not sure if you can replace the top and bottom if they are both merged to one track.

What do you usually do if you wanna compress a track?
I mean, do you compress the original track and after that apply Drumagog/Aptrigga? Or do you compress the "mixed" track after the replacement?

If the sample is already pretty squished you could compress before replacement, but otherwise I'd say that compressing after blending would be more consistent.

Jeff

Hey guys, maybe this has been mentioned, but I can't find it anywhere - I'm using KTDrumTrigger and diggin' on it, but does anyone know of a free/CHEAP (<$50) sampler that can accompany it?

Did you ever try to put the sample not completelly in time with the original track? I ask because listening some Tue Madsen production, it seems that there are very little flames on the snare/kick hits that sound cool and I think it's a little delay of the sample....did you ever noticed this?

Haha, I know, but isn't APTrigga a replacer rather than a sampler? (meaning, it goes through and prints samples to a track rather than being fed a MIDI signal and playing back in real time?)

Nah man, you can send a MIDI signal into it and it will trigger in real time. :)

~006