drummer problems

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
My drummer doesnt practice outside of band practice, has problems playing to a click and doesnt tune his drums. He is frequently off beat. i encourage him to practice and tell him how important it is because how it makes the whole group sound but it just doesnt even seem like he's listening half the time when I talk to him. This is really been eating at me for a while and now its starting to affect the rest of my group. my bass player is really awesome super dedicated dude but the last two band practices hes walked out in frustration because of my drummer. i dont really want to lose either of these guys because there good guys who have skill and potential. If i had to choose i would let my drummer go. we are very tight without him. theres really just no drummers in the area who play this kind of style without needing payment just to be in the band.

what would you guys recommend? i have tried almost everything i can think of except having my drummer record. this is because of the reasons above(drums sound like shit and hes off alot tempo wise.) and i dont want to waste time in money with something that may not help.. Should i just fire him?

I thought he was your "brother" and this is how it is in a band and you could solve this by like ejaculating on his face while he sleeps or something? :lol: But seriously, I'd try to seriously sit him down and talk to him about it (preferably outside of band practice, and preferably on your own, so he doesn't get too defensive with everyone ganging up on him - it kinda makes you the "bad guy", but fuck it, someone's gotta be it); if that doesn't work, I say give him the boot dude, best to not let fear of the unknown (being unsure whether you'll be able to find a replacement) keep you in a shitty situation I'd say! (obviously easier said than done though)

Welcome to drummer world. I have this same exact issue, but it's usually me on the edge of walking out after telling him the importance of his own growth.

Drummers with brains in their heads are in pro bands for a reason.

I thought he was your "brother" and this is how it is in a band and you could solve this by like ejaculating on his face while he sleeps or something? :lol: But seriously, I'd try to seriously sit him down and talk to him about it (preferably outside of band practice, and preferably on your own, so he doesn't get too defensive with everyone ganging up on him - it kinda makes you the "bad guy", but fuck it, someone's gotta be it); if that doesn't work, I say give him the boot dude, best to not let fear of the unknown (being unsure whether you'll be able to find a replacement) keep you in a shitty situation I'd say! (obviously easier said than done though)

nah hes not my brother! hes just a buddy really. i have tried the sit down outside of the band. it just didnt seem like he cared much. he always says either A)We are too demanding as a band B)we are too critical and we think we suck for no good reason. truth is he is really holding us back but we all think he has the potential to be a great drummer. he just doesnt put in the work.

Haha, I know, I was referring to that thread your co-guitarist started a few months ago about ways to get back at him for ditching practice to boink his girlfriend :D Doesn't really sound like he's committed though, and I know how frustrating that can be - again, I don't know the whole story of course, but if you feel you've done everything you could to try to motivate him, it's time to give him the boot IMO!

hhaha i didnt even read his thread until you brought that up, god that really sucked when he did that. yeah i really should give him the boot. hes had enough chances honestly. part of me thinks in time he will get better. my friend said we should give him an ultimotive were he has 6 months to get better or step down.. i thought that was a little harsh but it might be what it takes.

Give him an ultimatum - say that he's holding back the band and that he needs to bring his shit up to par or he's getting kicked out. If he wants to make excuses about why he shouldn't have to step his game up, it just means he's really not as dedicated as you think he is.

Give him an ultimatum - say that he's holding back the band and that he needs to bring his shit up to par or he's getting kicked out. If he wants to make excuses about why he shouldn't have to step his game up, it just means he's really not as dedicated as you think he is.

yeah i think im going to do this. thanks for the input guys.

Naturally though, be sure that the rest of the band is behind you on this - the last thing you want is for you to give the ultimatum, and then one or both of the other guys to later say to him something like "nah, don't worry, Mick just needs to have his period, whatever, lets drink some beers" etc.

Naturally though, be sure that the rest of the band is behind you on this - the last thing you want is for you to give the ultimatum, and then one or both of the other guys to later say to him something like "nah, don't worry, Mick just needs to have his period, whatever, lets drink some beers, etc."

Im 90% the rest of the band is behind me on this. infact whenever a group of us gets together and our drummer isnt in the room he is a main topic. If anything i am usually the one who defends him but its come to the point were i cant raise that flag anymore.

Is there any way that you can record 1 song? Do that and dont touch the drums...mix it all and show it to him and when he actually hears how shitty his drumming is maybe thatll be a slap of reality?

Does he know about the lack of drummers in your town?

Otherwise you can do what I do when people just don't want to pull their weight when it comes down to recording.
Threaten them with getting another drummer to play for you (doesn't have to be the truth but at least have someone in mind :p). Trust me, It's like telling your Girlfriend "sorry honey...there's someone else".

That normally shocks your average musician into practicing. Because at the moment he's feeling like there's no punishment for him slacking so why should he bother.
Also tell him that his slack is affecting (negatively) the lives of 3, 4 or 5 other guys trying their best to reach their goals.

"60% of the time...it works every the time."

If he's not dedicated now and doesnt take it seriously, what will happen when things go to the next level and things become really strained? Some people LIVE for playing music. Some just like to do it in their spare time. The spare time dudes will not hack it when things get really serious.

That being said, I only play my bass when I'm playing a show or writing/recording something, haha.