Drumming in Deliverance...

opethfan4life19

New Metal Member
Jan 19, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Visit site
I am just wondering, what does anyone else think of it? I really liked it, it seemed so precise. I mean the drumming has always been nice in the Opeth albums but I guess since I have this one playing lately I am noticing it more. Also does anyone in here also have an upgraded stereo in their car? Double bass drums sound:eek: if you have one.

While Lopez is a great drummer, on this album I was kinda disapointed with the fact that he decided to trigger his bass drums for the heavy fast moments.

I mean triggering is all well and good but it is cheating in a way, especially when they start quantising in a sequencer, Opeth are not fear factory for gods sake! They are not supposed to be ultra precise and computerised in my opinion.

Also I hate it how the bass drum sound then isnt triggered in the "mellow" moments, as the it doesnt flow as well from a production point of view.

Another thing is that Lopez CANNOT pull off those fast bass drums live. Ive seen them 3 times now and not once has he nailed it!

Deliverence is a great album though as far as songs and the other aspects of production, just the drums were a let down for me.

WHAT? I dunno what you're talkin' about, dude... I saw them play in Virginia and he was DEAD ON. Lopez is a TERRIFIC drummer. I think the drums on Deliverance sound amazing... what I especially like is his non-linear style... it lends a very organic sound to the music which I think fits perfectly with the rest of the instrumentation and the songwriting. His drums just flow, he doesen't worry about playing the EXACT same combination of kick to floor tom to hi hat to snare every single time... he just understands what should go where and he does it.

Originally posted by Fyhed
While Lopez is a great drummer, on this album I was kinda disapointed with the fact that he decided to trigger his bass drums for the heavy fast moments.

I mean triggering is all well and good but it is cheating in a way, especially when they start quantising in a sequencer, Opeth are not fear factory for gods sake! They are not supposed to be ultra precise and computerised in my opinion.

Also I hate it how the bass drum sound then isnt triggered in the "mellow" moments, as the it doesnt flow as well from a production point of view.

Another thing is that Lopez CANNOT pull off those fast bass drums live. Ive seen them 3 times now and not once has he nailed it!

Deliverence is a great album though as far as songs and the other aspects of production, just the drums were a let down for me.

dont be so god damn picky.i guess people will look for any reason to complain about something that is a great piece of work.oh,and a bonus,you came off looking smart with all of you drum knowledge.now i guess no one can critisise you.:rolleyes:

threak, you are a dumbass.
1. Fyhed did NOT come off as arrogant in his "supreme" (actually pretty basic) knowledge of drums

2. Just because something is a great piece of work dosn't mean he can't comment on something he dislikes about it

3. You are the 1 billionth person to have Bloodbath as your avatar, you are not special

When I first heard this album - it was the drums that came to the forefront for me.

They are beautiful, powerful, and fill every last gap in each song.

It doesn't sound very triggered to me... what exactly ARE triggers anyway? I usually hear it in reference with drums that sound programmed, but Martin's drumming in Deliverance seems to be very real to me...

I love all the subtle snare and cymbal hits that you have to really listen for to hear. They did a good job putting a lot of stuff back, otherwise it might seem way too busy. It's not the most amazing drumming ever, but it's very good, and Deliverance would seem kind of weak without it.

The bass drums sound triggered to me too, in the fast parts. Sounds good, anyway if they are. I have a number of albums like that, and it's not a thing I care about anyway. Real drums, triggered drums, drum machine... as long as the samples are good, it's fine by me.

The double bass pedals sounded well sweet on Deliverance and I thought that overall on the album they sounded thicker and also more precise. It's hard to describe it, but I am a big fan of the way the drums sound on this album. Much props to Martin for songs like Wreath and Master's Apprentices where his legs must've fallen off afterwards! :p

Originally posted by Morningrise
threak, you are a dumbass.
1. Fyhed did NOT come off as arrogant in his "supreme" (actually pretty basic) knowledge of drums

2. Just because something is a great piece of work dosn't mean he can't comment on something he dislikes about it

3. You are the 1 billionth person to have Bloodbath as your avatar, you are not special

im a dumbass.your the one who makes stupid and pointless comments about avatars.jesus,what a geek you are.its only the internet dude,i couldnt care less what i have as an avatar.

And where the hell did i imply that i am special,you dumbass.:rolleyes:

Now Morningrise is coming off as arrogant, with his comment that Fyhed's knowledge of drums is actually quite 'basic', implying that he knows better...just from the short few words that Fyhed wrote Morningrise can seem to judge his knowledge of drums as 'basic'.

:lol:

Anyways...back on topic, Deliverance has far and away the best drumming I've heard from Martin himself and almost any drumming. I don't agree with Fyhed about all that trigger nonsense...that's just nitpicking IMO...what we have is an amazing drum performance, and whether there was a slight electronic touch up of them or something-a-rather, seems irrelvant to me.

im a dumbass.your the one who makes stupid and pointless comments about avatars.jesus,what a geek you are.its only the internet dude,i couldnt care less what i have as an avatar.
And where the hell did i imply that i am special,you dumbass.
If you are going to respond to my post, at least respond to the part that is in context, and not the section that was blatantly just fucking with you. If it was "just the internet" you wouldn't have gotten so offended by the comment. Plus get some basic grammer lessons please, and until you learn how to state a proper OPINION you don't deserve to roll your eyes at anyone.

Now Morningrise is coming off as arrogant, with his comment that Fyhed's knowledge of drums is actually quite 'basic', implying that he knows better...just from the short few words that Fyhed wrote Morningrise can seem to judge his knowledge of drums as 'basic'.
Because I claim something is basic dosn't mean that I claim that I know more about it than anyone else does. Did you even read threak's post which I was responding to? If you had you would understood the context. Threak claimed that Fyhed was being arrogant, and wrong in his opinion on the drumming on Deliverance, and I was responding to that. If anything threak was the one being arrogant in his poorly stated assumption that Fyhed's opinion was WRONG. Don't come into something if you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.