Drumming in Deliverance...

Originally posted by metalmancpa
When I first heard this album - it was the drums that came to the forefront for me.

They are beautiful, powerful, and fill every last gap in each song.

I totally agreed. At first, the drumming was the only aspect that I really liked. Now I think the cd is phenominal.

I really cannot wait for Damnation. Although they are my favourite band, I really dig the mellow shit. I am hoping that they will do a mellow tour to promote it.

Lopez's drum work on Deliverance is phenomonal IMO. It was the first thing I noticed when hearing the album for the first time. Its technical, yet not stifeling and compliments the rest of the music. I can't wait to see him live in action behind the kit. :)

Originally posted by Nugent Goes AOL
No one answered the question asked a few posts ago...what is triggering? I don't know anything about drum triggers, would some one please explain?

Triggering on the drums is basically when a small pick up pad is placed onto the drum head and basically when contact is made this "triggers" a sample, which is chosen using a sound module.

Triggering drums basically tightens up the sound. But because the information is MIDI it can be quantised in a sequencer such as logic or cubase. This is why I think that using triggers is cheating in a way, especially on an album because there is a whole lot of editing going on.

However in the "mellow" moments the bass drum is acoustic and not Midi to get a more dynamic, natural or ambient feel. This in my opinion is not a great thing as it is kinda unatural going from Midi triggered sound to a anologue sounding bass drum in a matter of moments.

They should have gone acoustic all the way as on Black Water Park, or picked a more natural sounding sample for the bass drum and used it all the way through.

Originally posted by Morningrise

Because I claim something is basic dosn't mean that I claim that I know more about it than anyone else does. Did you even read threak's post which I was responding to? If you had you would understood the context. Threak claimed that Fyhed was being arrogant, and wrong in his opinion on the drumming on Deliverance, and I was responding to that. If anything threak was the one being arrogant in his poorly stated assumption that Fyhed's opinion was WRONG. Don't come into something if you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

What Threak said in his post is irrelevant in this. I did NOT mean you think you know more than Fyhed...no, what I found funny was how you could pass off his knowledge of drums as 'basic' just from what he said in his post. How do you know that? If anything that's arrogant. The truth is theres no way, just from that reply, you could really know the extent of his knowledge anout drums and it's pretty stupid how you accuse Threak of arrogance and then that little 'basic' creeps into your post making you look like a hypocrite.

You must have misread what I meant because your reply seems to completely miss what I was getting at. :p

And you misread what I was saying, because my intent was to get across that what Fyhed said was basic, and I can see how it came off how that may have confused one. Try and view something from multiple angles.

Originally posted by Morningrise
If you are going to respond to my post, at least respond to the part that is in context, and not the section that was blatantly just fucking with you. If it was "just the internet" you wouldn't have gotten so offended by the comment. Plus get some basic grammer lessons please, and until you learn how to state a proper OPINION you don't deserve to roll your eyes at anyone.

Because I claim something is basic dosn't mean that I claim that I know more about it than anyone else does. Did you even read threak's post which I was responding to? If you had you would understood the context. Threak claimed that Fyhed was being arrogant, and wrong in his opinion on the drumming on Deliverance, and I was responding to that. If anything threak was the one being arrogant in his poorly stated assumption that Fyhed's opinion was WRONG. Don't come into something if you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

ONCE AGAIN YOUR A DUMBASS.I didnt say that fyhed was wrong,i just think that he's over anylyzing waaaay too much.Theres no need to be so picky about a little thing such a triggering.My point is that if he is gonna let such a small thing as this bring down his opinion of an incredible piece of work,then its very sad.

fuck grammar,its only the intenet.oh look,no capitals,you must be mad:rolleyes: And if your going to tell me to get some grammar lessons,at least spell the word "grammar" right.Dumbass.

The drum sound on Deliverance is incredible. It's definitely the best produced drum sound on a metal album I've heard in a long time. The fact that you can hear the drums so well is why many people are really *noticing* his performance this time around. He's always played linearly, and he's always played tons of ghost notes - now you can really hear them.

I'd like to add another note about triggering... It's also possible to indirectly trigger the drums (i.e. mic the drums without trigger pads, and synch a triggered sound to the acoustically recorded drums in ProTools).

BTW... Was the triggering comment a speculation, or is this fact? I think it's quite possible that the drums weren't triggered. Martin (and many other drummers, especially jazz drummers) utilize a different technique when playing soft or hard, and this produces a different sound.

Regardless of whether or not the drums were triggered, they sound great and that's all that should matter.

ONCE AGAIN YOUR A DUMBASS
It's "you're"
:lol:

This is fun! Notice how you actually started using capitals in your post, so my comment didn't affect you?

I didnt say that fyhed was wrong,i just think that he's over anylyzing waaaay too much.
Next time you bash someones opinion, say "think" as you just did. AND you DID claim that it was wrong (no need, same difference) for him to be so picky. Matter is, you made it pretty clear that you thought it was wrong of him to state his opinion in that way. Heh, I could go on and on.

My point is that if he is gonna let such a small thing as this bring down his opinion of an incredible piece of work,then its very sad.
I think your a dumbass, but it's not gonna let my opinion of the forum go down. Is that wrong?
It is called an opinion, that is the whole point.