Drums and you...

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
What's your favourite way to pan drums?

Audience of Drummer perspective and your reasoning?

Ideally, i MUCH prefer drummer perspective (hi hat on the left, ride on the right) as this gives the track far more "airdrumabillity" and power...

Though, i hardly see any CDs doing it and my new CD will be audience perspective...

What are your views on this?

i imagine the drummer is never consulted regarding this topic. it always trips me out that most metal cd's pan the drums from audience perspective. the ride on the left is weird for me, but maybe the drummer was a lefty, and it is his perspective?

anyway, from the few mixes ive done on drums, ive always put hats left, and ride right. i havnt done much experimentation (im still new) but for tom placement i put t1 at 50 L, 2t at 25 L, 3t at center, and 4t at 25 R.

All my recordings ever done are from drummer's perspective. Audience perspective just feels so unnatural. I mean when you're watching a drummer play, the stereo spread isnt that wide, it all really sounds like its coming from the one direction... so audience perspective just seems so exaggerated. On the other hand, when the drummer is on the throne, the hat really is all the way left and the ride all the way right... so it seems like a more natural representation to me when its done in a mix.

The air drumming factor is always a big one too.

Thanks guys, i've always noticed this on CDs..

I am not a drummer but i'll still airdrum if the beat is awesome! Hahahaha

Can't do that if iäm airhi-hatting on the left and it's coming out of the right speaker!

I've always felt it gives the tracks a lot more power...

Drummers perspective!
I know sneap does it the other way, but that always fucks with my airdrumming-timing when it comes to a fill and I hit the wrong tom....

Hearing toms going from right to left jsut fuvks up something in my brain and makes me desoriented for a while....don't know why, but I'm always panning from the drummers point of view.
(although I'm not one of those strange animals)

All my recordings ever done are from drummer's perspective. Audience perspective just feels so unnatural. I mean when you're watching a drummer play, the stereo spread isnt that wide, it all really sounds like its coming from the one direction... so audience perspective just seems so exaggerated. On the other hand, when the drummer is on the throne, the hat really is all the way left and the ride all the way right... so it seems like a more natural representation to me when its done in a mix.

The air drumming factor is always a big one too.

How wide are you panning your hats?? I'm usually betwen 40-60...

Drummer's perspective, for the above stated reasons. In front of the kit from any distance, it might as well be a mono instrument.

As a drummer myself I prefer panning everything crowd wise!
When ever you're in front of a drumkit you will also hear that. And the only one who is behind the kit is the drummer!

I really hate the drum panning on the new machine head to...hihat left and ride right..yuk!

You're crazy guys ahahah ;)
I mean I don't get all this pain in the ass panning "from audiance's perspective".
I do a lot of air drumming as well but I feel comfortable even listening to a audiance perspective.
Well I usually pan from audiance perspective because
a) it's like watching a band playing in fron of you
b) it's cool :p hat on the left is gay

Yea i try and put panning as if you were back watching people play on a stage. Drum hat's right and ride left. I have never tried from drummers perspective and just seems weired to me but to each his own right guys!!

I might have to give it a try though:kickass:

Yea i usually put hats about 60 to the right...Were do you guys stick the ride like 60 to the left? thats usually were i put mine but just curious.....

Drummers perspective. Ive been panning my cymbals hard L/R but recently ive been taking a lot more notice of CD's and how they have done it, never seems to be hard L/R for cymbals. I also thought its usually a china thats on your HARD right if your a drummer, crash about half way between the middle and the hard right so 75%. Im going to try this set up and what its like. Still having the china coming out of 1 speaker only tripps me out!

I have always used audience perspective because it always seemed right to me, but once I bought a studio kit and started dicking around trying to play them (I am a tragically BAD drummer)now it seems weird.
Now I'll catch myself panning shit the wrong way (drummers perspective) once in a while and not too long ago I realized I had my room mics reversed from the OH's

Audience. When mixing I usually image the listener to be on the stage in front of the drums. If it´s from drummers perspective, it just feel like too... drummy :D Don´t know, it really depends. On the other hand in stuff like Meshuggah it feels very natural that the drums are in drummers perspective. Probably because the drums don´t have that much reverb, they´re more present.