dude, don't bogart the hypocrisy

cthulufhtagn

Went Out for Smokes 13 Years Ago
Jul 19, 2004
south of washington
we won't let you grow it for yourself, but we'll let you buy it from drug companies!

'New' Pot Pill For Chemo Patients
Synthetic THC For Treatment Of Vomiting And Nausea Returns To Market

(AP) Seventeen years after it was withdrawn from U.S. markets, a synthetic version of the active ingredient in marijuana is going back on sale as a prescription treatment for the vomiting and nausea that often accompanies chemotherapy, its manufacturer said Tuesday.

Valeant Pharmaceuticals International hopes to begin selling Cesamet in the next two to three weeks, company president Wes Wheeler said.

The Costa Mesa, Calif., company received Food and Drug Administration approval Monday to resume sales of the drug, which it bought from Eli Lilly and Co. in 2004. Valeant currently sells the drug, also called nabilone, in Canada.

Lilly originally received Food and Drug Administration approval for nabilone in 1985 but withdrew it from the market in 1989 for commercial reasons, Wheeler said. Valeant, since purchasing the drug, has revised its label and updated its manufacturing process, he added.

The drug will compete with Marinol, made by Belgium-based Solvay SA. Marinol, another synthetic version of tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana that's more commonly known as THC. It also received FDA approval in 1985.

Synthetic THC acts on the brain like the THC in smoked marijuana, but eliminates having to inhale the otherwise harmful smoke contained in the illegal drug, Valeant said.

Cesamet is a Schedule II drug, meaning it has a high potential for abuse. The 1-milligram tablets are meant to be taken twice daily before cancer patients undergo chemotherapy and up to 48 hours following treatment. Side effects include euphoria, drowsiness, vertigo and dry mouth.

The FDA last month said it does not support the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

and for those who didn't know, cannabis is currently classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency as a Schedule I drug, meaning

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

cocaine and amphetamines don't even fall in this classification

That’s not really weird or hypocritical at all. It's illegal to distill your own liquor as well, or make your own version of any other prescription drug...

This is when stuff gets ridiculous, if it was perfectly legal to prescribe ganja to people who need it to medical patients, everywhere, people would still bitch and moan. People disguise the fact they just want free reign over smoking and growing ganja in there backyard with campaigns for medical Mary Jane, etc.

Are doctors still prescribing medical pot in the Bay Area? I always lose track of who is getting arrested or not up there over that anymore.

KILL TULLY said:
That’s not really weird or hypocritical at all. It's illegal to distill your own liquor as well, or make your own version of any other prescription drug...

This is when stuff gets ridiculous, if it was perfectly legal to prescribe ganja to people who need it to medical patients, everywhere, people would still bitch and moan. People disguise the fact they just want free reign over smoking and growing ganja in there backyard with campaigns for medical Mary Jane, etc.
BUT liquor and prescription drugs aren't classified as schedule I drugs and i'm pretty certain the penalties for growing cannabis plants in your house are WAY higher than for distilling your own moonshine. and good luck making your own codeine.

and yeah, i support medicinal marijuana because studies have proven it has therapeutic value. i think it should be legal for everyone, and terminally ill patients sure as hell need it more than i do.

@nad: to the best of my knowledge the clubs here are still in operation, it's a grey legal area though