Dumbass Question

wwallinga said:
Ok. So comment on these two bands which I have gotten into in the last 5 years:

1) Godsmack

2) Disturbed

Before this thread I had assumed that they were also nu-metal, but now I don't think so. Comments?
i like both. godsmack's acoustic live cd is great.

RJBeals: Great picks there! :D

I doubt they'd be considered nu-metal since they're a bit lighter, but i really like Hoobastank. they've got some wicked grooves to headbang to. except "The Reason" which is a fucking terrible song.

WTF? Now its cool to like Nu-Metal?..............I like American HeadCharge

wwallinga said:
Ok. So comment on these two bands which I have gotten into in the last 5 years:

1) Godsmack

2) Disturbed

Before this thread I had assumed that they were also nu-metal, but now I don't think so. Comments?

Heck if I know, I've only heard Godsmack's early material, and they always reminded me of a tougher, dumber Metallica. As for Disturbed, I've only heard their first cd (which is AWFUL imo) and would probably qualify as nu-metal due to lots of lame power-chord riffs, an interlude where the singer starts "freaking out" and saying "fuck you" three hundred times to "mommy," and some rappish song called "dropping plates" where he boasts about the band's quality with lines like "A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YOUR EAR-HOLE!" and "WE'VE GOT THE BASS KICK THAT WILL BLOW OUT YOUR EYES." Also he makes bizarre sound effects like Awww AH AH AH AH! and various half pukes for super hardcore effect.

THIS SAID their single "Remember" had some actually decent melody and guitar work ^_^

EDIT: WRONG SONG TITLE, WHOOPS

in any kind of music there are the good bands and there is the crap. I mean in pop you have the Madonnas, but there are 1000 Britneys out there. Classic rock had Led Zeppelin, and a lot of crap. Rap has Ice Cube and Snoop, and a lot of crap. I could go on and on. If a certain kind of music gets popular, there will be copycats. But remember, there are people who copy it note for note, and there are bands that use it as inspiration, but the talent might not be there to pull off something amazing.

Does anyone else think that the riff [0.25-1.00] in Diabolical Masquerade - Blakkheim's Quest to Bring Back the Stolen Autumn sounds quite similar to the riff [5:12-5:57] in Black Rose Immortal. I sure do.

ha! bastard. i was typing with one hand and felt i had to comment. "no" is shorter than "yes".

"fucktards" liking "aggressive pop" seems to sum up the bad stuff here (to quote 2 previous posts). it's catchy and stuff, shit, if i have to listen to the radio, i sometimes check out the stations that play this sort of thing, but looking below the surface there's not much going on. i guess it just works for some people. the majority of people are not musical or intellectual and they listen to what gets them in the gut and/or has an image they like. (although i don't see kids dressed like slipknot at the mall...) they aren't interested in really listening or being challenged. (i teach too and i'm sorry to say that a great many students are this way.) it's not evil, it's just what people like. we have other needs and requirements and luckily there's music for us too.

I don't really have much to add, since everything has been said, but like most genres, there are bands which are ok in nu-metal.

Deftones and Mudvayne are ones that come to mind.

System of a Down are ok too, but I can't stand listening to them anymore because of the amount of times I've heard their albums (my dad is a big fan).

wwallinga said:
Ok. I'm 29 - probably older than the average person in here. I grew up listening to 80s thrash, fell for 90s grunge and generally lost my taste for any new music after 1994. I really haven't picked up any "new bands" over the years. Oh, sure, I've bought cd's - I have over 500, but I really can't say I've gotten into any new types of music - other than Opeth - in the last 10 years. So, perhaps I'm a bit "out of the loop".

So, in a round-about way... here are my questions:

1) What defines nu-metal?

2) Why do we hate it?

These may seem rhetorical to you but I really am curious and you guys seem to be more knowledgeable than me.

I didn't read through t his entire thread, I'm just spewing out an answer. I have gotten into all sorts of music, I didn't get into music until the early 90's, so my first real taste was the "grunge" era, and I moved forward from there. Today I enjoy many styles of msuic, but my main interest lies in metal. I dig all metal, not just one "style".

1. My opinion is anything played on the "local-popular radio heavy metal station"

2. We? I don't hate it. I like a few songs by band thats are played on the radio, they are usually just songs that fase in and out of my life. A few nu-metal bands I dig for the lyrics, Iam a sucker for any lyrics that relate to me in any way. I guess I'll say this. There are many reasons I listen to music, not just for the kick ass musically-driven bands, but also for emotion, anger, peace, etc. etc. Different kinds of music effect me in different ways.

Nu-Metal at its best really does just seem to be dark'n'heavy rock songs, which can just be plain enjoyable, if often simple, music. Ive always been partial to Spineshank (2nd album at least), Mudvayne (1st album), Sinch, and, though not for a while, Sevendust (Home album).
Nu-Metal at its worst is just whining illiterate bitches (dear god the lyrics! so.....BAD!) who have discovered how to play 3 chords, which they rearrange ad nauseum and release in song form to the amazement of millions of screaming morons. Guilty of this are bands like Disturbed (though 2nd album is actually quite good...but only because it abandoned practically ever facet of the 1st), Type-O Negative, Linkin Park and Korn (though some albums have some decent enough songs)

suislidE said:
Moonlapse your post made me laugh enough that i used it in my sig. :) my thoughts exactly.

Sweet.
icon14.gif

Risquit said:
To succeed in nu metal you must:

1. Whine--I'm gonna do things my way, my way or the highway
2. Perfect a not quite gutteral scream of pseudo-anguish over what some girl has done to you--'Cause I'm one step closer to the edge, I'm about to break
3. Wear a goatee without the mustache part.
4. Black t-shirt, baggy shorts, forearm tattoos. No exceptions.
5. Make sure each band member stares ominously into a different direction in group shots.
6. Have a "DJ", scratching in the background. 808 bass(optional).
7. Either be bald or have some serious gel action going. Long hair not allowed.
8. Every song must oscillate between slow parts with single string guitar plucking followed by single chord bursts of sound generated through effects pedals (rather than talent).
9. When on stage, your head must bob, in fact, if you can make it look like you are fornicating with your instrument, even better.
10. Through lame ass "gang signs" on stage and in publicity photos.
11. When interviewed about your new album, mention that you were going for something "much darker" than your previous work.
Verywell said man but u forgot too add Skeletons,rings and HEAVY METAL necklaces
And generally man-this-is-Motherfucking-heavymetal tools and toys ;)

@wwallinga: imo, disturbed and godsmack are pretty much devoid of originality; godsmack especially have made a career out of ripping off alice in chains--even their fucking name is an aic song for christ sake!

@rj: no complaints there dude, and johnny cash (rip) was a complete unadulterated badass to the core

@wankerness: primer 55! haha, i had a friend who listened to them like five years ago, what a b-level band they were :tickled: ! i maintain there is nothing worse than b-level "modern rock"...no, fuck that, they're not even b-level...just one of those fluke no-talent bands that got signed in the mad late-90s major label rush to cash in on the trend

My friend dragged me to a Soulfly / Ill Nino show several months ago. And I have to say that Soulfly kinda brought it. I liked their energy (although the lyrics didn't do much for me). Max, if anybody, can be forgiven, for he truly did help invent the nu metal sound--he didn't follow. And their sound is more tribal now than nu metal.