Duncan's take on the Anathema albums

insidethefall

somewhere nowhere
Jan 26, 2003
pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
Time to raise a serious topic :

Duncan, what is your take on the Anathema albums starting with Serenades to A Natural Disaster? I am just curious and thought everyone might enjoy reading your opinions. that is all

I think they're all good complete 'albums' up till Judgement, which I havent heard all the way through but Ive heard a few stinkers from it. That was a big step backwards I think from what we were doing on Alternative 4, especially if you consider the stuff they're doing now. After that theres been some great songs on each album but the influences are too obvious on some tracks. Still way better than any other band from that scene theyre lumped into. Dunno what happened to the fan base though, all that emotional hero worshipping makes me cringe.

ah, come on duncan! don't tell me you never had any heros? someone to look up too? not even when you where 15 or sth ?

Strangelight said:
Sure, and I still have people I look up to, but not in the teenage girl/Robbie Williams way. Its embarrassing really.
yeah, i can see your point. but, well, not all people are the same. and it's not as if they hurt someone

anyway, if they come here often, they'll see that you guys are not robbie williams :loco:

Strangelight said:
I think they're all good complete 'albums' up till Judgement, which I havent heard all the way through but Ive heard a few stinkers from it. That was a big step backwards I think from what we were doing on Alternative 4, especially if you consider the stuff they're doing now.
I thought Judgement was a spectacular album with a great atmosphere...it loses a little magic near the end but the first six or seven songs are amazing. I don't see how the new albums are any 'better' than Judgement, actually 'A Natural Disaster' follows closer to the sounds they were trying out on Judgement, only instead of Pink Floyd as their influence now it's radiohead, even Vinnie tries his best as Thom Yorke, I have to say I'm not too impressed with it.

But what I was going for by asking you was if you look back on the earlier albums with a different attitude ie. the music, lyrics or themes. Like as a musician who performed/contibuted to the albums, do you view doom metal (serenades, pentecost III) in the same way? or do you think it's sort of 'immature' nowadays?

After that theres been some great songs on each album but the influences are too obvious on some tracks. Still way better than any other band from that scene theyre lumped into. Dunno what happened to the fan base though, all that emotional hero worshipping makes me cringe.
I think respect is due to your contributions to Anathema (I think alternative 4 is brilliant) and Antimatter. But there are only a few people I think of as heroes and they're all close to me...The good thing is that you do interact with fans on the forum, and they get to see that you are not some kind of god, i would absolutely hate that.

thanks for your time dunc

personally, *coughs* to come with an album such as alternative 4, or silent enigma, requires some amount of lateral thinking, think of what was been churned out at these times. i dont think theyve topped alternative 4, but i have faith that they will, not so much as top it, but produce an equally lateral and forward thinking album, not like anything that exists at that time, they have the skill no doubt, oh aye

what was i on about, oh aye, anyways >

1nyomi.jpg

cool thread by the way.

we know duncan wrote a song for his ex-band mates, but have anathema done the same thing? i heard of two tracks, and it makes sense. but im not sure. does everyone know which song im talking about?