Dungeon DVD (Discussion moved from the other thread)

hahahahaha.

I had to learn that for my year 12 music exam.

I couldn't play it, but they couldn't tell.

So IS it a Dungeon DVD or not? Surely if it has your name on it you get final cut? I know if I bought a Maiden DVD and it had Rod's head all over it I'd be fucked off ;) (Mind you, I haven't seen it yet, so can't really say too much).

I didn't know about any of the other Metal Warriors DVDs, so I was expecting a DVD full of Timmy/Stuey/Dakky/Stevo-y goodness. Then I pop in the DVD and Steve Ravic's name comes up lots of times, and there's even a picture of him on the back of the DVD case. And my thoughts on the cover are no secret to the Dungeon lads either, I think it's the most unprofessional effort I've ever seen.

I haven't watched the whole thing, haven't really had time, just some of the concert stuff and some of the interview stuff. The concert stuff rules, but I thought the whole DVD was a bit too short. Or maybe that's just Tim's influence (giggle). The bonus CD was a nice idea though.

In other news, I saw the Blind Guardian DVD at JB today for $29. Sure beats the $70 or so I saw it going for at Utopia on the weekend! Didn't buy it though.

Nah, well the MW crew is sorta like part of the band when we're on tour in a way, which is why they got such a big mention. When me, Stu and Steve went on the recent promo tour, we really missed the other guys (not to mention the rest of the band!) - it felt like part of the team wasn't with us!

It came up pretty good considering what raw material we had to work with, I thought. If you knew the tech dramas we had at just the concert itself, you'd be surprised it turned out as good as it did..!

In defense of a dvd I havent even seen at the shops, much less bought yet, dvds arent cheap to make, nor are state of the art sound systems to mix them on etc. so I think expecting a Rock In Rio quality dvd, without the crap Steve Harris editing, is expecting a bit much :)

Assshoooeeeee! :bah: :p

Nah, we ended up going OVER the time allocated to us in the festival by 5 or 6 minutes, in fact, so it was the best we could do given the time restraints. I'd say the next "concert DVD" will be the full-length real deal thing, though.

spawn said:
In defense of a dvd I havent even seen at the shops, much less bought yet, dvds arent cheap to make, nor are state of the art sound systems to mix them on etc. so I think expecting a Rock In Rio quality dvd, without the crap Steve Harris editing, is expecting a bit much :)
Well, sound-wise it's not bad. For the cameras, a lot of it was DV cam that was cleaned up later. We really had a budget of $0 to do it (and because of that we ended up going WAY over budget when we were doing it) so we're really hoping to make some money back from the sales one day! :(

But it's priced pretty well because of that - $25 or so, and that includes the bonus CD too...

Its pretty boring actually, you should see this other thread we have going, people use swears and everything! :worship:

I think I missed the start of this... somehow

and I haven't seen the DVD, so I can't speak about it's quality or whatever else.

BUT - i have a lot of time and respect for Steve Ravic as a promoter of aussie metal music (and in bringing international metal to australia). I think he's a champ, and that's coming from someone who hates just about everyone - especially every OTHER promoter I ever did a gig for.

My expectations for the DVD were actually quite low so I'm happy to say it's much better than expected. :) I wasn't expecting state of the art sound or editing, but the package itself is a tad amateurish. That's OK for a first attempt on a minor label, though.

I gotta step in and defend Steve here a bit, though...

For a minor label, MW has accomplished quite a lot including several international tours for bands on the roster and promoting international metal coming down here too. Now all of that is done really with a MINUTE budget, if any at all. I know we were really killing ourselves to do the promo tour and we're gonna be scraping hard to get the $$$$ we need to do our touring next year (which is already in motion now, just need the cash).

So when it comes to packaging and artwork, a lot of stuff is really trying to do the best we can with as little money as we can do. All of the other MW releases looked pretty slick I thought, and this would have looked just as slick if the original art we had in mind actually materialised, but we were let down at the last minute.

Being on THAT tight of a budget, what was created was really out of necessity and really quickly. Most labels would actually pull the plug on the release if that happened, but Steve keeps pushing stuff until it's out.

The size of the label really doesn't have THAT much to do with the products, really, is what I'm saying here. It's just if things go wrong, there's less options for a plan-B.

Main cover art aside (not gonna get into that, everyone likes what everyone likes at the end of the day), I personally thought the package as such looked pretty good and was put together really well, myself...