Dungeon DVD (Discussion moved from the other thread)

DVDCOVER1smallcopy2.jpg

agreed. Set too short.
Given low budget it's not a bad effort. Would love to see it done with a little more money (e.g. better cameras for one thing). Somewhere down the track,......

looks OK to me Lord Tim.

As you said.. you have to take the budget into account and all that stuff.

Bottom line is - you guys have a DVD out of you playing overseas, how many other Aussie metal bands (or any bands) can say that?

That's how we saw it. We knew some of the stuff would have been better given a bigger budget, etc. but what a great opportunity - way too big to pass up. And the good thing is, if WE can do it, it's proof that any good Aus metal band can do it... we're really hoping that it'll open a few doors down here.

We've already been back to Japan once since then, and we're going again next year too. Every time we go, more people hear about Aus metal, so it's a fucking good thing! :)

just to stick my head in here, because in the past I've been pretty vocal about my dislike for the artwork that was put together for it. People will like what they like, as Tim said...but there is a big difference (for me) between something that someone doesnt like, and something that doesn't look professional. There are plenty of cover art out there that I dont like, but still looks well done.

My input here is simple. No budget, no time doesnt have to mean no quality. I mean, damn...I would have put something together for you in a day for free if it was THAT desperate. Swing me a copy when it's out and all's well. I've done it like that in the past, I'm sure I'll do it like that again in the future. It's not like people are beating down my door offering me grands to do cover art for them...yet! lol

And if not me, there are plenty of up coming artists out there who would probably do it for the same. Or maybe not...who knows...maybe I'm just THAT much of a cool dude hehe.

But yeah...like I said, I've been a bit vocal about it in the past, so I figured I would throw my hat in here.

If you're ever stuck again in the future...you have my number :) :kickass:

On the actual topic of the dvd itself...I've watched a big chunk of it, and thought the amount of MW stuff that was in there was a bit much...being as it is a Dungeon DVD, I dont see why there should have been a ton of stuff about the management in there.

Mobstar's DVD doesnt have clips of me harping on about how awesome the band is...the music and visuals do that for the band themselves.

To each his own though...again, like Tim said, different directors will project their subject in different ways.

Oh, also, one other crit...having the phone montage dates the DVD incredibly...and to me, was kinda corny and out of place. I mean...a few years ago when every man and his dog didn't have flip top phones in Australia I could understand putting it in then...but now it just comes across kinda silly.

Anyway, I'll pick it up sometime soon :)

Well, in defence of the stuff on the DVD, in essence it was an advertisement for Dungeon in a way to help score us more tours in Europe, so a lot of the things we take for granted and assume is common knowledge is stuff that a lot of Europeans and Americans would be interested in hearing about. All of the interviews and introductions, etc. are pretty necessary, IMO.

As far as the phone stuff goes, yeah - I see your point about it "dating" the product, but think of it this way: it was a tour from 2003 and all of the memories that go with it, so if we saw a lot of people with those kind of phones in May 2003 and it was a big deal then, then it's sort of representative of that moment in time. In 10 years time, I'm sure we'll be looking at it going "Ha, now we have holographic phones that we wear on our wrists like watches! How lame is that stuff" but it's still a good piece of history right there all the same.

The cover was a last minute thing, sure, but by the time the alternate cover was put together, in amongst the million and one other things that we all had to do, and by the time we thought about other alternatives to it, it was already half-way out the door. Any outside art, no matter how good it was, would have to be dropped into the project, approved by everyone, etc. - there just wasn't time in the end (although the irony was there was delays with the encoding and pressing, but that was out of our hands).

So yeah, there's reasons for everything! :)

I'd just like to say something here.... for I have a vague recollection of (1)Playing in Dungeon in Japan, on the tour where the DVD footage was taken (2)Being in Dungeon...and I don't have a copy yet!!! Fucked if I'm going to PAY for it too! :Smug:

TIMMAH!? :wave: