Easy Guitar to Synth [REAPER]

Sloan

Sounds like shit!
Oct 22, 2006
Atlanta, GA
www.sloanstewart.com

Guitar
ReaTune (check Send MIDI events when pitch changes)

1. Disable sending to parent track (master)
  2. Send that to another track with midi controlled VSTi
  3. Make sure to just send MIDI, not audio
  4. Party hard

It will be monophonic only and kinda buggy, I just tried this on my lunch break and thought it was hilarious, but great for controlling synths for when you don't want to use a keyboard. Haven't had time to tweak settings and see if it can be more accurate. I was amazed at the latency, it's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for a midi pickup! However, that's why it's monophonic, if it required a mini pickup it'd obviously be polyphonic, but hey, this is some secret treasure :D I set window size to 50 and used my fretless with trillian, and put a slap bass preset. Now, THAT was funky, in both meanings :D

Dope! I'm making a tutorial right now with the same thing but you can play full chords and it recognizes it flawlessly with this plug I found. Cheers!

Dope! I'm making a tutorial right now with the same thing but you can play full chords and it recognizes it flawlessly with this plug I found. Cheers!

yes! more details!
this was a super quick thing during my lunch break and i thought i would post since i haven't seen anything similar mentioned here before. very handy if you want to just slap some quick synth stuff on, or any midi controlled deal.

This is one of the things you might never actually need, but it is so 'cool' you'll have to whack it into something :D

The midi-guitar vst is good enough to use in place of a keyboard for us guitar playing but piano challenged types. Tracking aint perfect, but good for pads and non-shred melodies. You have to play clean though.

Edit: Did you try it out Sloan?

My first thought too, but it seems like reatune has difficulty picking up on rhythm when there isn't a note change. Should be fine for simple bass lines though.

To get over this, put a gate on it that cuts a lot of stuff out, and use an expander on the signal, it will make the attack more prominent.