Einstein quote and Vintersorg connection.

thruldom

Dec 18, 2005
Sweden
"Den skönaste och djupaste känsla vi kan erfara, är förnimmelsen av det mystiska."

The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion.

Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science.
Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man.

To know that what is impenatrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sentiment.
In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself amoung profoundly religious men.

This emotion i can feel emanate from within when listening to a record (for example Vintersorg), when walking in the nature or expanding my perception of the world in some way.. and it's probably why I atleast keep listening to vintersorgs records.

A reason for one to stay alive for a little longer, to experience the wonders of nature and cosmos.

^ lol
thruldom said:
to experience the wonders of nature and cosmos.

- the meaning of life. What else are we to do besides consume resources. Mr. V is a very well rounded person. Exploring the micro and macrocosms and making great music. :headbang:

another favorite Einstein quote: "A Table, a chair, a bowl of fruit, and a violin. What else does a man need?"
I have an answer, but I'll just leave it at that. :D

Braighs said:
^ lol

- the meaning of life. What else are we to do besides consume resources. Mr. V is a very well rounded person. Exploring the micro and macrocosms and making great music. :headbang:

another favorite Einstein quote: "A Table, a chair, a bowl of fruit, and a violin. What else does a man need?"
I have an answer, but I'll just leave it at that. :D

Einstein had the skill of putting complex matters into understanable words.

Like this one "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

mr V

Vintersorg said:
Einstein had the skill of putting complex matters into understanable words.

So do you, if I may say so.

Vintersorg said:
Like this one "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Maybe, that's what all true science is about, uncloaking laws, finding the hidden connections, revealing motivations as far as they go (to god? Who knows?). To be able to filter out the heaps of informations obtained by our senses and complex instruments.

Like a musician having spent a lifetime percepting sounds and take out those who mean something and put them togheter to a higher harmony so to speak.

(Sorry to the forum readers if this is uninteresting but I am sort of enjoying to think about these things, if you have something at all to say, post it; and we could get an interesting discussion going.)

PS. Sorry for using the "quote" tag and explicitly stating that it was Einstein who stated them originally, but now you know. DS.

braighs said:
Exploring the micro and macrocosms and making great music.
I think that by exploring the microcosm you can come to understand the macrocosm. ;)
thruldom said:
Maybe, that's what all true science is about, uncloaking laws, finding the hidden connections, revealing motivations as far as they go (to god? Who knows?).
Not completely... There is one great quote I heard just today, but unfortunately I can't remember its originator.
It says: "Scientists look at things that already are and ask Why? Engineers think of things that never were and ask Why not?"
Interesting, huh? :)

As an becoming engineer i know that my limitations are set to existing knowledge, and i would say im not a scientist, i agree with your quote, but im afraid you have misinterpretated it ( in my way of thinking; drunk at 3 AM)

thruldom said:
As an becoming engineer i know that my limitations are set to existing knowledge, and i would say im not a scientist, i agree with your quote, but im afraid you have misinterpretated it ( in my way of thinking; drunk at 3 AM)
If you think of yourself as with limitations, then (don't get me wrong) you won't be much of an engineer. Scientists and engineers are not that different.

Even Einstein thought of a limit to the human knowledge, i can think that he meant the time of mankind given, and the planck length which is the smallest resolution we can observe nature, and Schrödingers uncertainty principle.

My limitations i haven't explored yet, so far i have encountered any major one, maybe you are right, maybe i doubt too much, because i do so.

Horz said:
If you think of yourself as with limitations, then (don't get me wrong) you won't be much of an engineer. Scientists and engineers are not that different.

I disagree. Engineering is all about working within limitations. An architecht designs a structure and the engineer tells him if it will stand up against nature. Engineers use the information that scientist gather.

Now that we discussed this thoroughly maybe we can discuss some more intresting things, like knowledge, the fabric of the universe or some other thing, otherwise this thread will have to be put out of it's misery

I like Vintersorgs alnalogies like raindrops making up an ocean. Just stuff to make you think and expand boundaries.

I have been building 3 dimensional analogues of 4 dimensional platonic solids.
example:
0. point
1. line
2. triangle
3. tetrahedron
4. hypertetrahedron

It has been hypothesised that we live on the surface of a klein bottle witch is like a 4th dimensional mobius ring.

It can be fun or agrivating to think in this way.

One needs a universe with some decent laws to have a nice room ;(

Preferably one in which you don't forever die (and not roast in hell also)
Braighs said:
I have been building 3 dimensional analogues of 4 dimensional platonic solids.
example:

Because of my outright bad english I'm hoping for a explanation of "platonic solids".

Braighs said:
It has been hypothesised that we live on the surface of a klein bottle witch is like a 4th dimensional mobius ring.

Is there some evidence which support this hypothesis? If, not; why has it been hypothesised (?) this way? The Möbius band i have heard of before, as an illustration to that a surface can not be orientated :)

Please, tell us more!

Its been a while since I read that article about possible shapes of the universe. I think it was used to explain the "dark matter mystery" lol. Once an object passes a certain point (though the location of which is vague), it gets flipped. This could be interpreted as left to right or whatever. If the "spin" on a particle gets flipped, it becomes dark matter.

Platonic solids are the 3D objects that can be formed using polygons which are equilateral and the same size.
There are 5 of these in 3D; 4 in 4D; and 3 in any higher dimension. But it is really hard for me to think in any higher dimension.

in 3D...
tetrahedron
hexahedron (cube)
octahedron
dodecahedron (soccer ball?)
isosohedron