Election 2010

Depends I guess on how hard it is to get anything past the senate now. If Liberals do get up, it will be interesting to see what happens to their NBN plans as the Greens and Ind's all indicated that they preferred Labor's plan

Latest talk is that Labor will end up with more seats. Wilkie and Baund most likely ally with them, the three independents are deeply at odds with the Nationals and elements of the Liberal policy with regards to health and communications (but they also don't like the mining tax), and Crook has suggested he'll do pretty much as he pleases. Gillard for PM.

going back to the polls would be such a terrible thing IMO.

we've finally gotten to a point where a third party (greens) is gaining a little ground, plus some independents in seats... i think in part this due to the idea of "well i'll vote for my green rep and that'll also keep liberal out of government so I win twice"... i reckon going back will force people to vote for one of the big two if only to be sure of keeping the other out of power. I think if they can't come to an agreement with either party (preferably labor) they are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

The only problem I'd have with another election is if guys and gals who won seats from incumbents then lost them again. That'd be a shame.

More than likely a lot of them would. There was a big protest vote this time. Another election so soon would probably have one of two results: people would go back to their "traditional" candidate, or there will be a massive swing towards a particular party that resulted in a landslide victory.

Well looks like Abbott's already shot himself in the foot with the Ind's. Refusing their key demand (treasury costing of election promises)

From the analysis I've read in the last few days, what Abbott is doing is totally in keeping with tradition. The Treasury costings aren't even meant to be seen by the PM until the result of the election has been decided. As much as I don't like the man, Tony Abbott has shown a remarkable deal of statesmanship in the last week or so. He really doesn't have to provide costing analysis to anyone. All this talk of a paradigm shift is pretty hollow. If Windsor and Katter wanted to form a parliament, they would have done it by now. Windsor especially probably knows that a minority parliament is unworkable for any length of time: he's been part of one before. They just want to see how much they can get for their electorate before the next poll.

Primary vote:
Australian Labor Party 4,054,797 36.2%
Liberal/National Coalition 4,861,276 43.4%

2 party preferred:
Australian Labor Party 5,597,472 49.97%
Liberal/National Coalition 5,603,625 50.03%

Me likey :headbang: Looks like there's hope after all.

Also highly satisfying that the Greens attempt to blackmail Labor into endorsing a gay marriage "conscience vote" fizzled. Not that it greatly boosts my respect for Labor by any means, but the end result there is what matters.

How does the 2PP vote include the Lib/Nat coalition? In some states the coalition doesn't even exist. This is how the Libs manage to win almost every time. I'd be interested to see what the raw vote for just the Libs alone is. I always find it frustrating that the Libs declare a mandate to govern that they wouldn't even have if it weren't for the Nationals. Neither would ever get the numbers by themselves to form government. How is a two-party vote when the Coalition is actually two parties? The whole "Coalition" thing is complete shenanigans.

On a related note, how retarded is the "let's split Queensland in two" idea?

the Libs lost more than a few seats to the Nats -i.e. Tuckey losing his seat his held since the Dawn of Time to the Nat upstart from Kalgoolie (sp?)
also happened in Queensland and SA

on raw votes, the Libs are down (as are the ALP but not as much) and the general swing in voting is away from the major parties and towards the Greens & Independents
you can see that where in Melbourne the Greens took one of the strongest ALP seats and the people of Hobart voted for an Independent who is opposed to what most people in that start generally oppose (though he wants better stuff for the loggers but with conditions to protect the old growth areas and dismantle Gunns hold on the state a lot more)

one bit of ground swell is that a lot of Coalition players from Queensland -where the Libs & Nats/Country Party have been at each others throats for years- are thinking of splitting away from Abbott's lot and forming their own party
if that happened, it would fuck things up for everyone right royal but would make things interesting

With the independents being who they are, there's no way that the Libs will be able to form a government. There's only slightly more chance that Labor will be able to do so as well. The only result I see is another election in a few weeks.

If the Libs and Nationals split, there would almost never be another Lib PM ever again. If the Nationals decided they wanted to influence legislation, rather than govern, they'd split from the Libs. Should the minority government actually prove effective to any degree, it might embolden them, who knows? Whatever happens, there's most likely going to be another election within 12 months and possibly earlier.

It is all teetering so fragile on a ledge, I can't see anyway out now but another go at the polls, and I think the way Abbott has been in the last week would lose him the election, he has been showing a bit of his actual personality and being a smug dick of late