Election 2010

I keep hearing how the Greens are dangerous like Michael Jackson, but that's as deep as it goes.

What did the Australian say?

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3010433.htm

Greens leader Bob Brown has accused The Australian of trying to wreck the alliance between the Greens and Labor. We wear Senator Brown's criticism with pride. We believe he and his Green colleagues are hypocrites; that they are bad for the nation; and that they should be destroyed at the ballot box.

— The Australian, Editorial, 9th September, 2010

Murdoch's lickspittles are presenting deeply biased opinion as news. I'm not suggesting Ferret is incapable of forming his own opinion, but when the average voter is fed this sort of one-sided and blatantly wrong bullshit from the mass media, it's not surprising that people think the Greens are trying to destroy us all. The Greens are a savvy bunch. Most of their more extreme policy ideas are ideals, more than actual policies. They know they have zero chance of ever being in enough control to re-introduce death duties and impose a flat 50% tax rate, and they know they would be run out of town if they actually tried it.

I still reckon Turnbull will be PM before Abbott.

Abbott came out today and said that he wants to constantly challenge the election results and get the cross bench away from Labour so we can have another election

that would be the worse plan for him because if he pushes and pushes in the media and shows people that he was the one who caused another election, he'll most likely lose out right because he would appear petty and vindictive (which he is)

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't the current balance of power mean that the opposition would be able to introduce bills of their own with a chance of getting them through if one or two independents vote with them or (less likely) a green or labour member crosses the floor? Then in the lead up to the next election they could go "remember this good thing that happened? that was our idea. This one too, that was ours" and so on. Surely that would be better than just acting like a bunch of spoilt kids doing the typical obstructive opposition thing trying to force an early election. You'd think that would be better for the nation and better for democracy.

some of you guys seem more knowledgeable on the subject than I am so if that's not how it works feel free to set me straight.

Nah Dave you're spot on. The problem is that Abbott's an obstructionist. His idea of Opposition is literally opposing everything. That's why I'd much prefer to have Turnbull there.

so the likely strategy is just obstruct everything and then run a campaign on "these guys couldn't get anything done", rather than actually come up with any policies other than the usual xenophobic smokescreens we've come to expect from the Liberals. Hopefully the people are smart enough to see through it.

Agree with you guys that Turnbull seems like a much more respectable fellow.

so the likely strategy is just obstruct everything and then run a campaign on "these guys couldn't get anything done", rather than actually come up with any policies other than the usual xenophobic smokescreens we've come to expect from the Liberals. Hopefully the people are smart enough to see through it.

Agree with you guys that Turnbull seems like a much more respectable fellow.

Again, this is how they work, and point the advertising to the lowest common denominator who never pays attention to politics, welcome to modern politics kids