embarrasing bands/artists you liked before getting into metal

I used to listen to CCM (like Sonic Flood, Kutless, Jeremy Camp, Audio Adrenaline, etc.) way back when I first started listening to music (I was 14) because I didn't know any other music at the time, but I got rid of all of those cds a few years later when I started listening to metal.

I've liked a lot of classic rock before getting into metal, as well as classical music. All the while I despised the pop and rap my sister was listening to.

My road to metal started about 3 years ago with each band on this list leading to the next:

Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Adema
System of a Down

after that were what I call my transition phase bands that helped me get further into real metal:

Rammstein
Metallica
The Kovenant

The Kovenant lead by association to Arcturus, then Borknagar, and the rest of black metal and death metal.

I was into the horrible band static-x when younger. I remember seeing the video for 'push it' one morning on MTV and compared to everyhing else on MTV it seemed really odd and something that parents would find bad. I only bought the first album. This is during the time my dad would take my cds and put them in a bag. My dad is really oldschool and a lot of music sounds evil or is just really bad music to him.

im sure everyone listened to slipknot at one time, I did :cry: :erk: but then I discovered tons of other bands.

i thank god every day i never liked or listened to green day, no punk ever in my musical diet :kickass:

im sure everyone listened to slipknot at one time, I did :cry: :erk: but then I discovered tons of other bands.

i thank god every day i never liked or listened to green day, no punk ever in my musical diet :kickass:

I actually like some punk. I believe real punk died after about 1984. I like punk bands such as Misfits, Samhain, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls, GBH, Exploited, 45 Grave, The Cramps, Dead Boys, Crass, UK Subs, US Bombs, Subhumanz, Testors, Plasmatics, Black Flag, etc. This is real punk though. Pop punk bands like Green Day, Blink 182, and Good Charlotte, are some if the gayest shit I've ever heard.

great thread

I used to listen to alot of horrendous bubblegum pop rap artists (I cringe just thinking about)

used to listen to stuff like disturbed, korn, limp bizkit before I seriously got into metal

The only albums I ever got into that I find a tad embarrassing were Extreme's "3 Sides" album and Dream Theater's "Awake". It was an awkward time when I compromised my musical taste because of my love of technicality and technique.

Britney Spears.
I still own her entire discography.

And its nothing to be embarrassed about.. past makes you who you are. My musical tastes have progressed along with age.

Got into rock with Matchbox Twenty.
Got into metal with Nightwish.

Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Blink 182. I can't believe that I actually listened to those bands 5 years ago.

Y'all gonna shoot me for this...Good Charlotte.

I still have a wide range of music in my collection (metal is actually a fraction) that I still listen to and can defend.