Emperor... vocals on Prometheus?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I heard Emperor's "singing" vocals are horrible (not distorted, the clean ones)... havent bought or heard any Emperor yet but strongly considering it... but does anybody have a clip so I can hear these "annoying" vocals and decide for myself?

Yeah Ishahn's clean vocals are pretty bad, they're not used enough to spoil the material (which is good on Prometheus and far less good on IX Equilibrium) but they have the potential to amuse and annoy in equal measure.

As for samples, get a p2p program. DC++ is the best.

The vocals aren't nearly as annoying on "In the Nightside Eclipse" or "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk", seeing as they're not overused on either album.

they arent that bad, ive heard some really bad clean vocals. the guy from obtained enslavement has a really bad singing voice. otherwise they are an awesome band.
~gR~

Thing is I can't go p2p cause in general I'm kinda against it... even if it just to sample a song. I like paying for all my albums, and supporting my bands ;)

genocide roach said:
they arent that bad, ive heard some really bad clean vocals. the guy from obtained enslavement has a really bad singing voice. otherwise they are an awesome band.
~gR~
See I think the same thing, sometimes its ok sometimes its like "holy shit stop." Like the clean vocals on Scrolls Of The Shadowland arent too bad.

And I hope the people who say emperors clean vocals arent good dont like vintersorg, cuz they sound similiar, if not worse.

WNxScythe said:
Thing is I can't go p2p cause in general I'm kinda against it... even if it just to sample a song. I like paying for all my albums, and supporting my bands ;)
Well then go to a music store and ask them to listen to the album before you buy it...I can do that in every place I'm buying cds so I suppose most store do it as well.

Here's what you need to do. Go out and get Scattered Ashes: A Decade of Emperial Wrath (a best-of collection). It's got two songs off of Prometheus, and the clean vocals are there with the growled/raspy/distorted vocals. If Prometheus isn't your thing, you might like the songs from the older albums better. Trust me, this is the first Emperor you should get. Then from there you can decide which albums to pick up next.

Erik said:
This comment wins.

Actually, as truly annoying as the drumming/drum mix is, what annoys me the MOST with "Prometheus" (which I traded away for Blut Aus Nord, yay, although I don't even like TWtTG as much as most here it's better than the worthless tripe that is PtDoFaD) are the rasped vocals, which TOTALLY. COMPLETELY. UTTERLY. SUCK. This guy rivals Anders fucking Fridén in terms of pure suckage. At least on the earlier releases Ihsahn was low in the mix so he didn't grate so much, but on the new one he 1) has an even weaker voice than before 2) it's mixed more up front and 3) it has really annoying effects almost all the time, probably in a futile attempt to hide how pathetically weak they are. The clean vocals are adequate, I've never been bothered by them.

Yeah, I never liked his rasped vocals at all.