Enemie of reality re-mix...

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hello...

I bought "Enemies of reality" re-mastered & re-mixed by andy sneap yesterday.
There's really no comparison with the old one and in my opinion it was worth buying it.

However i can still hear a lot of clipping distortion mostly on the guitar solos. The track "noumenon" it's filled with it (even without it, though,it's one of the worst nevermore songs anyway).

I would like to assume that this distortion was created during the recording proccess and that andy couldn't do anything about it during the mixing and mastering proccess. However in my (little) expirience with recording, i have found out that clipping distortion during solos is caused by compression... in other words during the mastering proccess... I guess only andy can answer this question.

noumenon is actually not remixed, just remastered, from the original cd, I didn't have time for that one track so the "proper" tracks got priority. Well spotted Keregioz, blame the original mastering guy, not me.

Andy Sneap said:
noumenon is actually not remixed, just remastered, from the original cd, I didn't have time for that one track so the "proper" tracks got priority. Well spotted Keregioz, blame the original mastering guy, not me.

Well... that makes sense.
However i still hear clipping in other songs too during solos... Much less noticable but it's still there...

I got my copy of EoR yesterday!

Even with the magical touch of Andy most of the record doesn't shine like it would have to.

That is a sign of the old truth: if you don't dial in a good tone from the start you can't do much later...

I must say that the songs aren't the best Nevermore songs... ...a fact that occurred to me is that after 'Dead heart...' they wanted to renegotiate the old Century Media deal and they didn't have success... ...the songs on 'Enemies...' maybe are some leftovers and the real shit will kick in in the new record, since after 'Enemies...' they received offers from other labels and Century Media did propose them a better deal (and better money) to record the REAL NEW songs.

Am I wrong? :err:

fabbio... i seriously don't think the nevermore guys would sell their fans short like that no matter what state their contract negotiations were in... they are musicians, not "rock stars"... and quite cool guys i might add. i also agree with Kazrog and marty, the songs on Enemies are quite good.

keregioz... after listening to a lot of tracks soloed on the Pro Tools sessions Andy was given to work with i can assure you that any distortion you are hearing was in the original tracks.. there was loads of it.. especially in the vocals. not to mention the terribly poor editing job. given what he had to work with, Andy did a killer job, and honestly the album sounds better now than a lot of the crap cds being peddled to us by labels touting them as "stellar productions".

James Murphy said:
fabbio... i seriously don't think the nevermore guys would sell their fans short like that no matter what state their contract negotiations were in... they are musicians, not "rock stars"... and quite cool guys i might add. i also agree with Kazrog and marty, the songs on Enemies are quite good.

I fully agree with James on this one, the guys in Nevermore are some of the nicest guys I've met and are definately not "rock stars" who would sell their fans short. I also think that not only are the songs on Enemies are good, but some of them are great in my opinion.

Sorry, guys I didn't mean to paint the Nevermore guys like some greedy contract/money/driven characters....

It was only a thought that occurred to me and obviously the Kelly Gray poor production left me with a BAAAAD imprinting of the songs.

I really believe that Nevermore are great musicians (I would not care to partecipate to this forum if I didn't care about them or their music), Jeff Loomis left me astounded many times when I had the chance to see them live (5 times here in Italy).

Something's missing from the songs from EoR, it's like a feeling I have.

The same feeling I got when I listened to 'Politics of Extasy' many years ago.
I strongly prefer the debut album and the EP 'In Memory' to 'Politics...' the same way I worship 'Dead heart...' instead of 'EoR'.

You see, as I write this i'm wearing a 'EoR' t-shirt (from the gig in Milan where Arch Enemy didn't play for problems with the tour bus, remember?) and I bought the damn record twice so maybe subconciously my mind wanted a miracle.

Don't mind my rant, if you ask me 5 years from now I might have changed my mind 100 times.

NEVERMORE RULES :Spin:

Fabbio said:
The same feeling I got when I listened to 'Politics of Extasy' many years ago.
I strongly prefer the debut album and the EP 'In Memory' to 'Politics...' the same way I worship 'Dead heart...' instead of 'EoR'.

The same to me Fabbio, I really prefer the first record and the ep to Politics.
Politics it's a very strange record, I mean is really weird.

Fabbio said:
(from the gig in Milan where Arch Enemy didn't play for problems with the tour bus, remember?

I remember the tourbus was infested by... uhm I don't know what.. I think they were cockroaches!

Maurizio

I think, after talking to the guys about it, they had a very stressful time doing enemies, and believe it or not, they are a band that needs to have someone guide them a little when it comes to recording. Actually, they need someone to force them to record at times but they have to be one of the nicest bands I've worked with, Warrel was great this time around, he's really got himself straightened out, in a good mind set etc and I think he actually smiled a couple of times!!!! We finished tracking 4am Sat morning, so I'm getting into the mixes, sorry theres been no constant updates we've just been too busy.

Hey guys!!
I must say that I agree with James and understand perfectly Fabio.
Besides that, after listening to the remaster I found a completely new record!!
I can ear everything that Jeff does on guitar!
But, I still don’t like the sound of the snare. Maybe Andy couldn’t done better!!

PortVic said:
Hey guys!!
I must say that I agree with James and understand perfectly Fabio.
Besides that, after listening to the remaster I found a completely new record!!
I can ear everything that Jeff does on guitar!
But, I still don’t like the sound of the snare. Maybe Andy couldn’t done better!!
andy replaced the snare and i personally think it sounds great.

Got the remix today...

Absolutely amazing work, Andy. Comparing it to the original, I can't stop smiling, I am so happy! Finally this album can sit proudly next to "Dead Heart In A Dead World."

Andy Sneap said:
I think, after talking to the guys about it, they had a very stressful time doing enemies

Funny, I remember reading some interviews with the band members when the album came out and they were supposedly very happy with the job done, but I suppose noone would slag the producer and the sound on the day of its release... ;)

and believe it or not, they are a band that needs to have someone guide them a little when it comes to recording. Actually, they need someone to force them to record at times

Interesting, who would've thought... :)

Word up my homiez...

I just ordered it through the CM Distro site. You can order the full $12 edition online now. I figure I might as well get the whole thing...

I fell in love with EoR again when the remix/remaster came. I'm really stunned by the improvements in most of the songs - this definitely is an Andy Sneap album!
I especially like the drums on this one, all the way through. I had hoped that they would replace some solos though .. like that really really pointless one at the end of the title track ;)
That being said, I still think I like DHIADW better, but EoR is great in its own right. I'm happy they created something different.