Engl 4x12 V60 :yuk:

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
What a :puke: box.

Yesterday I tracked guitars with a band I currently working with, and we tried to find the perfect sound for the second guitar-player.

The first guitar was tracked:
Marshall V30 4x12 - engl thunder - tubescreamer - Ibanez SZ with Dimebucker
->GREAT SOUND (very tight, in-your-face palm mutes....)

The second guitar player has a engl half-stack.
Engl fireball and engl V60 cab.
So I miced his stack up, and it sounded like I´m micing up the back of the cab!!!
I changed the sound, put a tubescreamer in, tried every speaker but it still sounded like shite.

He used my Ibanez 7 signatur guitar with EMG 81....

So we took the marshall v30 cab and the sound was great!!!!!!!!
But the ENGL thunder sounded still much better then the FIREBALL.

I had to turn in ALL of the mids and took out mostly all of the bass, to get a descent sound....

So what da fuck, why ENGL wants so much money for such a bad piece of gear????
I think the standart BEHRINGER cab sounds more open, miced up...

Yeah, Lasse made comparison clips between the Engl Pro w/ V30s and the Engl Standard w/ V60's, and the V60's to me sounded like the V30 with the mic like halfway between the dustcap and the edge of the speaker :ill:

Always had my best Fireball tones with Marshall cabs, Engl cabs were usually a bit too scooped for my liking...

Could it be that the "deep" switch on the Fireball was enabled?

No I played with his settings for five minutes. Decided they sounded like poop, and tried to make a better sound.
I switched off the strange bottoms, and used the pure amp.

I think the fireball is great if you want a totaly scooped deathmetal tone with guitars tuned very low...

but we wanted something more with mids(with crunch, and punch:) )

But in the end we got something very sweet out of the amp with the marshall cab. But the thunder still sounds much better!!!!

IMO the ENGL thunder is one of the best amps for smaller money.

Same experience here... miced up the Fireball with my Engl V60 cab and couldn't get it to sound decent. We ended up using two Marshalls (one with V30s, one with G12T75), worked way better!

I think the fireball is great if you want a totaly scooped deathmetal tone with guitars tuned very low...

but we wanted something more with mids(with crunch, and punch:) )

My buddies band has two guitarists, one using 6505 into I can't remember what cab and the other guy using a Fireball into a Marshall 4x12 with V30's and it sounded insane. Crunchy and middy as fuck.

ive only heard good things about these cabs up until now?
i own a fireball and use my 1960 cab, im tempted to buy the engl cab with v60s but now im a bit put off, any clips?

there was a thread not so long ago where most folk on here were voting the v60 over the v30?

if lasse sees this post, im curious about the set up on the alestorm albums
to my ears it always sounded like an engl? any info on the cabs used dude?

some clips would be nice with a comparison to maybe a 1960 cab, was this cab broken in or new?

if its not properly broken in theres a chance its gonna sound like shit lol
or this is the results ive always came across with a brand new cab or speakers.

ive only heard good things about these cabs up until now?...there was a thread not so long ago where most folk on here were voting the v60 over the v30?

Uhh, where was this? :lol: IMO/E the only people who prefer V60's have little no experience mic'ing them up (and thus don't know anything :D), and Alestorm was indeed an Engl cab, but the Pro with, surprise surprise, V30's ;) I dig 1960 cabs with T75's too, but not as much as a Mesa OS! (though I've never played a Fireball)

Wait, what? The Thunder better than the Fireball? I would so love that to be true. . . I was eyeing the Engl Thunder at one time, but nobody had any info on it here.

Could you post some samples of the Fireball and Thunder? With the Marshall cab. Please? Pretty please?

Wait, what? The Thunder better than the Fireball? I would so love that to be true. . . I was eyeing the Engl Thunder at one time, but nobody had any info on it here.

Could you post some samples of the Fireball and Thunder? With the Marshall cab. Please? Pretty please?

Yeah man, I'd be really curious to hear those too, as the Thunder, Screamer and their other sub-Fireball (price-wise) heads were (how do the Thunder and Screamer differ, by the way?)