Engl 4x12 V60 :yuk:

's one of my fav live cabs

yea, my bandmate plays an engl v60 with his engl savage 60 ... it sounds awesome in the rehearsal room, i dont know why ... it's so present and can cut through the drums with no problem ... i use a 6505 with mesa/krank cabinets, and cant get such a tone! but i never heard it miced up properly ...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ds/518759-rough-mix-real-drums-engl-amps.html

this clip has both amps in it, with ts and marshall v30.

I´ll post clips of the amps later.

The thunder is more open. Better to work with in the mix.
The fireball is more compressed sounding in the start, not so friendly in the mix great for leads and a go to amp for a live situation but when you put a mic in front of the cab it is a totaly different situation:)

v60's sound great in a live situation...probably the best I've tried with my powerball. They are the tightest most cutting. V30's are too honky and middy, probably the worst with the powerball. Keep that in mind before you decide to hate the powerball its a beast. Speakers are just as important as the amp itself and you can't use v30's on every amp.

How is it you can't get a good recording of them if they sound so good live? It seems to me it would be more of a problem with the engineer not using correct methods/mics rather than the cab. A lot of people don't know how to work around more than what they are use to. You cant use the same settings/mic positions/cab/processing for every amp.

use the fireball with some passives, a marshall with 75's, adjust the presence and treble carefully, and give it some poweramp volume... adjust treble/presence again to compensate for the volume change.

you will crap your pants.

I personally don't like Engl (and Mesa) cabs at all. To me they sound like a brass bucket.
I like Marshall and Hughes & Kettner cabs.

a little late for me to chime in, but what I figuredout is that the fireball is voiced to v30. if you want to run the amp on other speakers you have to put the mids almost to 3#oh clock. but it still sounds better with v30.
did someone ever noticed engl wrote the word "standard" wrong on the back of their boxes. they wrote "standart"! ;)