Engl fireball 100 vs pod hd300

Thumas

Apr 25, 2009
Well i have both, so i decided to make a quick test.

Fireball has the midgain boost switch on, i read at line6 homepage that their modelation was done with that.
Pod in fireball's loop, with the settings: preamp,+live mode+stackamp
both clips are recorded thru same cab and mic incl placement.
The reason i did this clip was not to compare whats best, just wanted to get you an idea how the real thing sound vs digital copy

*edit* looks like pod hd300 and hd400 don't have "no cab" option. they use something that's called "specially voiced live cab" so i guess hd500 will sound alot better when using no cab option. if you are hd300/400 user this is what you get if you doing this method .hope this clip still be interesting to someone ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd mic placement?
yeah. well i tried to place it near at first but did'nt like the sound.. i'm not used to do this..
mic is 20inch from the speaker.. but it's same on both clips so i think it's fair.

Pretty cool :) But I suggest that you try something practical... like:

1. Record the preamp out of the real fireball and use an impulse (preferably s-preshigh (The fireball doesn't need a dummy-load, does it?)
2. Do the same with the Pod Fireball with the same impulse.
3. Post a clip.

You should try to make them sound the same next.

Because the Engl sounds like it has absolutely no highs--almost like there's a lowpass at 3k. There is a whole world of highs on the Pod clip thats not there in the Real amp clip making it impossible to judge.

Don't understand. if you can't select no cab does that mean you ran an already impulsed signal into a real cab? Explains why the pod sounded umm...awful

Oh and is that seriously how you micd it? that would be like recording vocals with the microphone up to the singers forehead

EDIT: just saw your post about mic position. So it wasn't like in the picture then? Either way you should probably research micing techniques for guitars because that is some ghetto rigged stuff

Don't understand. if you can't select no cab does that mean you ran an already impulsed signal into a real cab? Explains why the pod sounded umm...awful

well here you can find a clip from the "preamp" sound coming from pod. http://www.4shared.com/dir/vqt6Uk7Q/sharing.html
the setup settings i have done with the pod is what the manual tells me to do when connecting the pod thru guitar amp.
and what else should i do with that signal?
i have hd300 and with that model you can't do it "more right"

If there is no possibility of turning off the cab simulation then I would never even consider running it into a real amp honestly. However that preamp clip you just posted doesn't sound like it has any cab modeling going on at all so now I'm really confused. What does the "Specially voiced live cab" option do then?

If there is no possibility of turning off the cab simulation then I would never even consider running it into a real amp honestly. However that preamp clip you just posted doesn't sound like it has any cab modeling going on at all so now I'm really confused. What does the "Specially voiced live cab" option do then?

as you hear you get a preamp signal, but when i change cab sim on pod the sound changes alot.
too bad i did'nt know that before i did the clip.