Epic = a 12 out of 10.

Such a good album. I've been bouncing around between Epic, PJ Harvey's Uh Huh Her, and the new Neurosis CD, The Eye of Every Storm. Thus far, these have been the best 3 albums I've bought this year...at least until the new Bjork CD comes out on August 31st. :Spin: Mmm... Bjork...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160099

That review sums up my thoughts about this album in a brilliant way. At first listen, I was VERY disappointed with the album - I found that there was too much stuff going on, too many melodies at the same time, some disonnance and disharmonies now and then, and Vintersorg going completely over the top at times. I still bought the album, because I thought this was something I had to listen to a vast number of times before managing to grasp its excellence.

Well, having listened to it a lot more, I'm still a tad disappointed by it. Granted, every song have interesting moments, but there are still too much elements that I don't like that much. I think a 6.5 out of 10 is a fair score. Empiricism, Quintessence and The Archaic Course are MUCH better.

I'm going to disagree with the guy's review. If the album was really as bad as he says it is, he'd be giving it a lower score - probably a 4/10 or 3.5/10.

While I do hear some relationship with this album and Quintessence, I like this album much more. I also hear a correlation in this album and Deep Purple (and it's not just the Hammond! :D ) insofar as innovation and harmonic structuring which brings me to my next point.

I don't hear the "dissonance and disharmonies" that you're talking about, but that's probably because I'm used to hearing the types of harmonic arrangements that you don't find in the typically-orchestrated Heavy Metal band from enough music theory classes where we explore different styles of music - everything is not all root-fifth on this album. There's all kinds of harmonic layering and shifts (much like you'll find in Classical music) that may sound dissonant to the untrained ear but are actually well under control of the writer.

This album is a stylistic shift from what they've been doing before, which is good. At least they're willing to experiment with their material and take a risk, unlike other bands that sell out to their fans' wishes and keep putting out the same album with a new cover, a la AC/DC or Motorhead.

Everyone's welcome to their opinion, of course. :) I still think this is one of 3 best albums I've purchased this year...which is sad because it shows to me that people don't seem all that focused on quality material anymore. Epic, The Eye of Every Storm and Uh Huh Her helped restore my faith that people actually can put out great tunes.

Øystein, you've outdone yourself with this album, Sir. :kickass: My only complaint about this album is that it's not long enough! I want more! :D

winter-frost said:
Yeah I am digging it A LOT more than Empiricism, and I like that album pretty well. It hasn't left my cd player since I got it.

Agreed. Its stunning, and I very much enjoy the "Making Of" video.

I am the string fiddler... I am THE string fiddler.

Marksveld said:
and I very much enjoy the "Making Of" video.

I am the string fiddler... I am THE string fiddler.

haha....oh yeah, if the DVD is going to be any like this I'll very much enjoy watching it. The comments/subtitles are hilarious! :)

'Epic' took a few listens before its genius was fully exposed. It's an absolutely brilliant album.

i just finished watching the enhanced cd feature thing.... i couldn't stop laughing when Vintersorg got his turn at the camera with the vodka.... lol
i just got the cd today and i think it's one of their best. number 1 closely followed by their s/t

ps..... VINTERSORGS IS GOD! :worship: :headbang:

Quite frankly, I'm a little bit disappointed with "Making of Epic" video. There is no bass!!! Also CD liner do not credit Asgeir as the bass player but somewhere mentions he plays the 5 string and fretless bass, why's that?

Hey guys, new fan here, I just want to say, I heard Future Remniscence and was blown away. Was getting some adapters for my home studio at the store the other day, and saw that they had this album, and just couldn't resist picking it up, and I fucking love it. Origin is such a fucking great song, and the whole album is just so fucking innovative.

Hammonds + flutes + folkish black metal = teh win!1!

alperozt said:
Quite frankly, I'm a little bit disappointed with "Making of Epic" video. There is no bass!!! Also CD liner do not credit Asgeir as the bass player but somewhere mentions he plays the 5 string and fretless bass, why's that?

I actually forgot filming myself while I did the bass. Lets's just say I already had my hands full, haha! The reason why I'm not listed as the bass player is because I happen to be the drummer... Look at it as a bass session. Same with the guitar stuff I did.

- Asgeir

in the "making of epic" video..there's one funny part where somebody's kids are playing the drums...asgeir..do u know whose kids are those and what they're doing in toproom studios?? lots of funny parts in that video.. :loco:

asgeir said:
I actually forgot filming myself while I did the bass. Lets's just say I already had my hands full, haha! - Asgeir
Don't belive him! His hands are full when he plays drums, and there is a lot of drum-footage!

I have a suspicion that maybe Asgeir didn't do the bass at all..... no pics at all from a mand who is such camera happy :))) Strange! :err:
;)

Paul said:
I have a suspicion that maybe Asgeir didn't do the bass at all..... no pics at all from a mand who is such camera happy :))) Strange! :err:
;)

Even though I got paid well to keep it secret, I will come clean - it it I who wrote and recorded the bass parts for Epic.

:err:

:headbang:

Am I the only one here that hates Epic and Empiricism? I can't be bothered with those two albums. Their first four, however, are a different story.