ESP Horizon DIs for you (Killswitch content)

I'm still not 100% positive on neck-thru guitar designs, so I'll probably re-do this with my Hellraiser after setting it up for Drop C. Interested to hear whether I get a bit more snap that way - the 707s will probably sound more similar to the actual pickups used too.

I'm still not 100% positive on neck-thru guitar designs, so I'll probably re-do this with my Hellraiser after setting it up for Drop C. Interested to hear whether I get a bit more snap that way - the 707s will probably sound more similar to the actual pickups used too.

I've always found bolt-on's to sound more precise and have an overall clearer sound...

707 is a cool P/U for the neck position IMO but I much prefer an 81-7 in the bridge. Just my personal taste.

In both Phils Prestige RG1527 and the Japanese LTD I play (belonging to Phil) have 81-7 in the bridge and a 707 in the neck.

It's AMAZING how similar both of those GTR's sound, though. The prestige is much more precise but the LTD I play (right-handed GTR strung backwards and setup for my lefty-ass.....even WITH a Floyd) has a bit more beef but then you kind of sacrifice some of that clarity.

I still think the Trident S20 is one of THE BEST pre's for capturing DI's...

cymbals are metal foundry, kick is one of the sneap bass drum samples combined with the low end of a kick drum I recorded and snare is a lot of snares and ambience I don't remember what I used when I sampled those combined, with a sneap snare sample (all those snares combined are just one sample repeated through the whole song and not very satisfied with it). Bass is broomstick bass. I would definitely get that trilian vst some day...

I'd really love to hear some real amp reamps of these DIs. I'll be taking them to the studio to run through a bunch of different heads early next week, but I suppose I was hoping for a sneak peak before then!

pretty fucking beastly..... hearing some strange grain in the upper register and the mids are a taddd stuffy for me but it's still brootzzzzzzz.

I should add, it's about impossible for me to judge a GTR tone/a waste of time without hearing it in the context of a mix....damn. haha

Thank you, sir :)

The EOH tone is pretty darned grainy too; it's just a weird kind of distortion... I'm assuming it's the clipping from the actives.

Only HP/LP and a little C6 on there, so I'm sure it could benefit from a little eq to taste. Some bass would probably help too :D

Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm really keen to try this with other guitars now. Hearing the same grain as CJ up in the high mids, and it doesn't jive too well with me. Wondering whether it's the maple neck, Alt 8 or maple/gloss top. Keen to give it a go soon with a Blackjack.

I actually did some cutting on those DIs to alleviate the "grainy" quality. I'm almost 100 percent sure it's the pickup in that case. I think a JB would have done the job better.

The one thing I did notice in the DIs was a low-mid buildup that definitely needed multiband. Your playing is pretty good for someone who is out of practice. If you lightened up on the open chords a bit, it would have been pretty spot on.

After buying Ermz's guide, and posting about it without embarassing myself, I've decided to try and participate in the forum more than just lurking so hopefully noone thinks this is too bad compared to some of you, but here's my humble effort. Drums and bass are from the midi file posted earlier, and ran into two presets I made in Logic, with a tiny bit of alteration to the note mapping of the drums.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30475936/ErmzKsEToneTest.wav

Cool, thanks for the impressions, Greg. It doesn't put my mind at ease about the new Untruth EP which we'd tracked using that pickup... I was shooting for a smoother/scooped tone like the first one we did. Looks like it might end up a hair abrasive unless the Blackmore is able to dull it out.

I'll definitely do this all over again with a Blackjack /w JB, and if I get the time maybe even my Hellraiser with 707s for the active-loving guys.

Cool, thanks for the impressions, Greg. It doesn't put my mind at ease about the new Untruth EP which we'd tracked using that pickup... I was shooting for a smoother/scooped tone like the first one we did. Looks like it might end up a hair abrasive unless the Blackmore is able to dull it out.

I'll definitely do this all over again with a Blackjack /w JB, and if I get the time maybe even my Hellraiser with 707s for the active-loving guys.

Not sure if the Blackmore is that amp you want in mind when you want something DULLED out.. I've never gotten that impression from the amp.