european tour 2008!

That set list does indeed look too short. i was really hoping for TNATSW....*maybe* we'll see it on thursday. That said, Deliverance and Hope Leaves strike a good note with me, particularly as I really wanted Deliverance when they played London earlier this year. Hopefully tonight and tomorrows set lists are longer, of hopefully thursday's set will be too.

Also, what did Cynic play? The very moment they break out Celestial Voyage i'm gonna cum

I'm still kinda hoping that what I'm seeing here won't be the setlist they'll go with for the rest of the tour. That it's just some start-up set they had to do cause they need another night of rehearsals at the soundcheck to make sure they're tight enough to play their newest additions to the setlist ... but I realize myself that the chance is beyond slim.

I just can't comprehend how they can go out playing the same songs from their back catalogue year after year, there is nothing new and exciting with this set list except the songs from Watershed ... For us who have seen the band live on the last three-four tours (and we are quite a few), where are the surprises?

I mean, would it be so bloody hard to chuck in one of these: Forest of October (they played this to death their entire career up until 6-7 years ago, shouldn't be so hard to rehearse and remember), The Twilight is my Robe, The Apostle in Triumph, Nectar (Mike talked about how cool he thinks this song is prior to embarking on the Ghost Reveries tour if I remember correctly, as we all know though, it wasn't played), To Bid you Farewell (was played in 2003 and shouldn't be so hard to re-learn), April Ethereal (was also played in 2003), Karma, The Moor (played in the US not too many years ago) ... and so on and so on ...

Come on guys! Add something new to interest your hardcore fans!

basiclly their first Australian tour had the most crushing setlist ever, dont see why they couldnt chuck in a gr song an a couple of watershed songs into the mix.

surely they have to be bored of playing TGC, The Drapery falls, Demon of the Fall and Deliverance.. i mean i guess i can see they will have alot of new fans comin this time, but some of the most enjoyable and well written songs are from the first few albums and with the new lineup would sound tighter than ever.

Well, friday is going to be my first Opeth show and the setlist they played last night certainly suits me, but I'm just a bit peeved that they've been played a 10 song set at all their headline shows up until the UK, where they drop two songs. Bring April Ethereal and The Leper Affinity into the set to bring it up to 10 and that'd almost be my perfect Opeth set :D.

Glasgow show - awesome setlist nice and heavy :) - Opeth are on fire, in my opinion the best they have ever sounded live.
Waited for an hour afterwards, met Opeth - got a conversation with each of them and my Blackwater Park and watershed booklets and Watershed vinyl poster signed by all, lol a dream come true :p

it just annoys me slightly. why do they insist on playing the same songs over and over again at pretty much every gig...? Yeah... ok... they might be fan favourites; but I'm sure there comes a time when even the hardcore fans want to hear a more diverse set list.

Obviously there's a consent that UK/Europe setlist as presented in this thread is rather disappointing, repetitive and short.

Great post by Kirkfjell. There's no way anyone can convince me that a band with such capable musicians cannot find time to rehearse, or even not have courage to tackle unrehearsed any of the songs they haven't played in a long time or that they never played at all!

What the fukc, they could just replace some songs with accompanying songs from the respective albums, e. g. Advent for TNATSW, TLA for TDF, GOP for TGC, Closure for HL, MA for Deliverance... Heck, even that would be a refreshment, not to mention performing long forgotten or even never performed songs like IMSWS, or Harlequin forest, Patterns in the ivy, or other true fans' favorites. Band like Opeth should care about fans who dig their entire catalogue, not go for a calculated setlist that may appeal to more casual fans... Its uncreative and even harmful for the band, imo...

Oh well. I still think there's gonna be some additions, maybe in later stages, there has to be! Where's the precious masterpiece, Porcelain heart? I hope by the time they get to Sweden they come up with new performances and special treats for the end of the tour...

Just back from Dublin gig. Was excellent, though I felt Opeth suffered from a pretty generic setlist. Nothing too spectacular, apart from Godhead's Lament.

Opeth:
Heir Apparent
Grand Conjuration
Godhead's Lament
Lotus Eater
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
Drapery Falls

I thought they could've substituted Drapery for Leper, GC for GoP, and Hope Leaves for To Rid The Disease, but that's just me. I did think that Mike, Fred and Per doing simultaneous vocals was fucking awesome though.

Cynic's setlist was a masterstroke though:
Nunc Fluens
The Space For This
Evolutionary Sleeper
Veil of Maya
Uroboric Forms
Textures
Integral Birth

Absolutely stellar. Masvidal was amazing, and Tymon Kruidenier is no slouch on the fretboard either.

Cynic's setlist was a masterstroke though:
Nunc Fluens
The Space For This
Evolutionary Sleeper
Veil of Maya
Uroboric Forms
Textures
Integral Birth

Absolutely stellar. Masvidal was amazing, and Tymon Kruidenier is no slouch on the fretboard either.

Only that????
They had longer setlist on Brutal 07...:mad:
I expected at least 2 more songs :erk:

Just back from Dublin gig. Was excellent, though I felt Opeth suffered from a pretty generic setlist. Nothing too spectacular, apart from Godhead's Lament.

Opeth:
Heir Apparent
Grand Conjuration
Godhead's Lament
Lotus Eater
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
Drapery Falls
Now that's more like it :D.

Godhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's LamentGodhead's Lament

Now that's more like it :D.

Yep, just by adding that 1 song makes a big difference now. Still, would love to see 1 more song as I still feel it's a bit short but I would be happy to see that set. Would be a bonus if they switched 1-2 songs during the UK leg as I am going to 3 shows!

Still, pissed off today as I've got a friggin' cold.... :erk:

Opeth:
Heir Apparent
Grand Conjuration
Godhead's Lament
Lotus Eater
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
Drapery Falls

I thought they could've substituted Drapery for Leper, GC for GoP, and Hope Leaves for To Rid The Disease, but that's just me. I did think that Mike, Fred and Per doing simultaneous vocals was fucking awesome though.
Bloody great gig, GL was incredible. The Lotus Eater worked really well live, and the trio of Deliverance, Demon and Drapery rounded off the night perfectly, a great show!