Eve of Seduction. Underrated?

I do think that The Turning and Incantations... are filler, but it's not because they're bad songs. It's just that the other songs on The Odyssey are stronger, in my opinion.

Also, I too am amused by the intro riff to Eve of Seduction. It sounds nothing like Symphony X, yet it manages to work.

I agree with the Odyssey comment.

Eve of Seduction was my favorite tune on the album from my first listen.:headbang:

I do think that The Turning and Incantations... are filler, but it's not because they're bad songs. It's just that the other songs on The Odyssey are stronger, in my opinion.

I was actually talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday, but in regards to Iced Earth. Something Wicked has a lot of filler songs, not because they're bad sogns but because the goodness of melancholy and the something wicked trilogy just eclipses the other tunes. Oh, other than blessed are you, my own saviour, and reaping stone. and that fucknig watching over me song.... that song is terrible. I mean, i understand he wrote it for his dead friend, but that song is sappy as shit. Fuck, if i died and someone wrote a song about me that sucked that bad, i'd come back and haunt them.

Melancholy = good iced earth "ballad"
Watching over me = bad iced earth ballad
Ghost of freedom = terrible iced earth ballad
When the eagle cries = worst iced earth ballad

still, i argue that filler is in the intention of the band...

with Iced Earth I can't make an educated opinion on whether or not i think its filler, but with regards to symphony x, i don't think they would ever make a filler song.

Black Sabbath had a filler song... it was called Paranoid... it may be a huge fan favorite but its still filler cuz it was written in like 15 minutes with the intention of filling up a little extra space still available on the album.

All a matter of opinion and symantics anyway...

I wouldn't call them filler unless that was their intention.

Well, speaking from the standpoint of someone who does write music, doing so has only made me *more* of a critic of things I don't like than I would be if I were not writing music. Conversely, it also has increased my appreciation of music I do like.

And I like Eve of Seduction :p

And yes I think The Sacrifice is a lackluster song.

This post made me realize how misunderstood I became simply because I asked a question. Back a few posts prior I said something about stuff just comes out and you go with it, make it into something. Sometimes its just not good enough or you cant get the song where you are happy with it and it goes in the closet. Or its too similar to something else or its going no where or just kinda cheesy and gets disregarded. Then the stuff you keep might express different moods or ideas but its part of you and your thoughts. Everything cant be a "smash hit" or they would all sound the same. Someone that creates might better understand this. Im highly critical of my own stuff but accept others as something they wanted to portray. Except the garbage music but no one here listens to garbage music...... right ?

Now take the Paranoid example just given. Though they may have needed another song and set out to find it and it came quick doesnt mean when it was done they still view it as "oh well, it will have to do". Makes you wonder how long they worked on "Ironman".... gawd save me, that had to have been filler........ Some of the best stuff comes quick and others have you at your wits end to get worked out.

These highly skilled, knowlegable, and creative bands like SX I cant speak for. Im sure witnessing the process would be better than than just hearing the end product. I still cant see them as having fillers or crap songs, lesser? of course. I expect no one to deliver the same sound every song of a recording and especially their career.

And yes I think The Sacrifice is a lackluster song.

I think it is at least and incredible performance by Russ... but then again, what song isn't?

Except for Lady of the Snow... I love that song personally, but the vocal drive demands vocal perfection, and there are some things that just didn't hit it in that song for me.

I was actually talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday, but in regards to Iced Earth. Something Wicked has a lot of filler songs, not because they're bad sogns but because the goodness of melancholy and the something wicked trilogy just eclipses the other tunes. Oh, other than blessed are you, my own saviour, and reaping stone. and that fucknig watching over me song.... that song is terrible. I mean, i understand he wrote it for his dead friend, but that song is sappy as shit. Fuck, if i died and someone wrote a song about me that sucked that bad, i'd come back and haunt them.

Melancholy = good iced earth "ballad"
Watching over me = bad iced earth ballad
Ghost of freedom = terrible iced earth ballad
When the eagle cries = worst iced earth ballad

They could swap the verses and choruses around in all of their ballads and no one would know the difference. You also forgot I Died For You.

Reaping Stone is one of my favorite songs by them. It's so groove heavy (which they rarely ever do), and it's mid-tempo (OMG mid-tempo IE?! WTF?!)

I did forget I Died for You... i wasn't really trying to hit every IE ballad, but great catch. But i do like that song.... it's not quite so shitty as those such as ghost of freedom.

Reaping stone never struck me as good. oh well, i can do without.

I think it is at least and incredible performance by Russ... but then again, what song isn't?

Except for Lady of the Snow... I love that song personally, but the vocal drive demands vocal perfection, and there are some things that just didn't hit it in that song for me.

Awww man! You didn't like what Russell did in that one? I love it. It's very different from the normal S-X; the Asian influence gives it extra feeling as well.

A wonderful song!

"Her Silhouette awaits in the cOOOooooOOOOld...a kiss of stone....tempting meeeeee" Ahhh....

Awww man! You didn't like what Russell did in that one? I love it. It's very different from the normal S-X; the Asian influence gives it extra feeling as well.

A wonderful song!

"Her Silhouette awaits in the cOOOooooOOOOld...a kiss of stone....tempting meeeeee" Ahhh....

i like what he tried to do, i think the melody and phrasing is all really great, i just thought he sounded like his control was a little off... his vibrato wasn't as good, and he even sounds like he's straining to sing that last note he sings that fades out just before the guitar solo. "...There is no escaping this feeling, I can't fight ANYMOOOOOOEOEOEOREEEEeeeeeee" that part sounds to me almost like the fade out is covering up the fact he was struggling with it.

Idunno maybe he had a cold or an injury or something, but I just think his fine control was out for that song.

On the other hand, the intro vocal harmonies and stuff of that song are golden.

Reaping stone never struck me as good. oh well, i can do without.

i like reaping stone myself, i think its slow moodiness is a great addition to the album as a whole. elspecial since it has that high energy bit in the middle "think not of one's you've lost, nor the ones you leave!"

certainly not their best song though, nothing they have ever done nor ever will again will touch dantes inferno or a question of heaven.

Russells voice is just awsome. If someone didnt know better they would think SX had a few different vocalists. I know its wrong to name "sounds like" but my first impression was "sounds like Dio but sounds like the guys from Kansas" then theirs the multi harmonys that are far beyond any power metal band Ive heard. Better than any stupid Monks ........ :cool:

I know its wrong to name "sounds like" but my first impression was "sounds like Dio but sounds like the guys from Kansas"

Lol! He does have a sort of "Kansas-ey" sound sometimes.

I like to think of Russell as the baby of Layne Staley and Dio. Although it would be an ugly ass baby...very talented.. :lol:

Yeah, screw those damned monks! What did they ever do for music!? (Aside from singing different pitches at the same time, creating "chords")

Hahaha..no shittles. You receive the protection of the Monks award for today.