Evergrey- Monday Morning Apocalypse (review/spoilers inside)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Ok, let's get something out of the way first before I post my thoughts. I am an Evergrey fanboy. They are my favorite band in the world (ok..behind Buffett). I have enjoyed every single Evergrey disc to date, some more than others. I'm also the promoter of a show in which I booked them as a headliner and I want to sell tickets. There is no way that I can remain purely objective based on all of that. However I make NO apology for it either.

I love this disc. I love it because Evergrey decided to tweak the formula and take some chances while keeping the core sound/vibe in tact. Will some call it a sell-out based on one song? Of course. You can't have a metal fan base without having idiots in it. Will some be disappointed because it doesn't sound like ISoT (or insert your favorite Egrey release). Yes. That's the way metal fans are about beloved releases..obsessive to the point of not being able to enjoy anything new because they want another alien anal probe. Will some love MMA? Absofuckinglutely.

Now, let's get the sonic aspect out of the way. I am no audiophile. I don't go apeshit over the acoustics of the snare sound, the bass reverb, or the dryness of the vocals (whatever the fuck that is). If you are looking for that kind of stuff, head over to Sneap or Kernon's forums and pick their brains once this is released. All I know is that it sounds awesome to me so you may as well stop with the producer bitching. The ingredients are all still there: Tom's vocals, driving rhythm section (drums really have been taken up a notch), haunting piano/keys, riffs and soaring solos galore, and the lovely Carina providing some great backing vocals on several of the choruses.

Spoilers Below:

The following are random thoughts on each of the songs. They are not meant to be coherent, compressive descriptions for the most part. It's just how I felt while listening....

1. Monday Morning Apocalypse- The disc starts out with what is sure to be the most controversial track on the disc. This is the lead single and may indeed bring in the band a new legion of fans. Yes, it has a bit more of a modern feel. As you can tell from the clip, the vocals are processed throughout the verses of the song. I was a bit shocked myself. However, after hearing the entire song they work perfectly because they really enhance the clean chorus. Besides, it's just catchy as hell.

2. Unspeakable- The old guard can relax the sphincter now. This is the traditional Evergrey tune you are looking for. The intense build up is there followed by the pounding melodic chorus. This reminds me of some of the better moments from Recreation Day.

3. Lost- This one goes back to the IsoT formula: quick crunchy intro that slams to a halt with intense vocals backed by the choir. Fantastic. The chorus is a bit lighter than what you may be expect, but that's ok. This is where change is a good thing as it keeps things fresh. Wait till you hear the solo. It's what I call a clean, soaring type instead of some fast technical sweep.

4. Obedience- ROOOOOCCCCKKKKK!!! If the band had posted this as a sound clip, there would be no "hmmm" going on. This is the heaviest tune on the disc. The riffs bitchslap you and the chorus makes no apology afterwards. The shredheads will be happy here as well with the extended dual soloing.

5. The Curtain Fall- A great up-tempo number in the tradition of "Mark of the Triangle." This is another tune where their guitar tone is going to throw some people off.

6. In Remembrance- Doomy with shotgun style lyrics. That makes no sense as I type this, but once you hear it.... I love the lush atmosphere with the piano interlude. Tom's vocals rule.

7. At a Loss for Words- Hello vocal processing...hello awesome fucking song. It's heavy as hell and drips with attitude. This is my favorite chorus on the disc. Ranks right up there with "Obedience" as one of my faves.

8. Till Dagmar- Beautiful piano instrumental.

9. Still in the Water- The most "modern" sounding track as it grooves more than anything. I think you get the idea from the sample on the website.

10. The Dark I Walk You Through- Fuck..the lyrical theme of the disc is dark enough, but this is just despair ("He waved to her and turned, and that was the last time he saw her") The doomy guitar riffs don't lighten things either.

11. I Should- Intense. 'Nuff said.

12. Closure- Tom's most soulful vocal performance to date. It's just him and a piano and that's all it needs. The chill bumps hit me instantly. Hell, even my wife said...he sounds "amazing."

I've said my piece and I'm sure some will disagree with me once they hear the disc. However, music is a personal experience for me. I don't need anyone else's approval in order to love Evergrey.

Cheers,

Glenn H.

Oh dear God, I really want to hear the album now! The snippets are not enough! Maybe I should pretend to run a metal website or something so I can get hold of a promo! ;-) !! Enjoy it in the knowledge that some of us are green with envy!!

Thanks for the review. I'm sure you'll get those that scream sell-out because you are right, it doesn't sound like IsoT. But those are the kind of people that shouldn't count as 'fans' anyway. If they can't embrace change then fuck'em. I however, Like when a band takes a risk and does something different., Since a band writes for themselves and not for their fans to begin with.

I cannot wait for the CD. I love what I hear so far. Cheers dude. :D

Well this sounds good to me. And being the sucker I am for Evergrey's softer moments I'm really looking forward to Till Dagmar and Closure. Not that I'm not looking forward to the rest mind you. I'm also happy to hear about some faster paced songs as the sound clips, although very good, were all in the same vain and it's good to know that they still varied the material. March 27th can't come soon enough!

NP: Jose González - Slow Moves

These samples are going to be played a good hundred times a day until this album is finally released. Thank god it's a month and a half and not 5 months away. I can just tell by the short samples that this album is going to be MIND BLOWING. Cheers!

Harvester said:
Now, let's get the sonic aspect out of the way. I am no audiophile. I don't go apeshit over the acoustics of the snare sound, the bass reverb, or the dryness of the vocals (whatever the fuck that is). If you are looking for that kind of stuff, head over to Sneap or Kernon's forums and pick their brains once this is released. All I know is that it sounds awesome to me so you may as well stop with the producer bitching. The ingredients are all still there: Tom's vocals, driving rhythm section (drums really have been taken up a notch), haunting piano/keys, riffs and soaring solos galore, and the lovely Carina providing some great backing vocals on several of the choruses.

Glenn H.

Well this is from an audiophiles POV.......this album was recorded superbly, unfortuantely, as close as it was, i cant say (from the samples) that it was mixed right. It's taken me more than a few listens to the samples to get over how loud the fuckin rythm guitars are!

Having said that, i've have gotten use to the sound and im really looknig forward to this album, especially , as someone already said, since you say there is more slower/ diverse moments on this album than the samples portray.

Cheers for the "spoilers" they really put my mind at ease.

As for this talk about some people not being "real" fans, i can only say this:
Evergrey were the first underground metal band that i got into, before EG, all i knew was 'tallica and Maiden. EG turned me into the person and musician that i am now, because they sent me on the path of what i consider "real" music. For them to change their sound drastically would be a real letdown for me personally because i like to feel the nostaljia when i put on an EG cd, and forr them to move away from the ISoT sound would hurt me mroe, because i rate that as the closest an album has come to being perfect!

Stay Grey............'till Forever!

Daniel

Yeah, even just from the samples i noticed that Rick was WAAAAYY in the background. A big shame, especialy after the little Jam on A night to remember with Rick, Jonaz and Henrik just as Tom was announcing As i lie here bleeding....that sounded awsome

After a few listens, I can say that my main complaints are that Rikard doesn't play a huge role on the album, and when those parts are there, they are quiet. But almost everything seems quiet compared to the rhythm guitars. Sometimes they even overpower the vocals and I don't think the solos are loud, frequent or long enough. I also feel the some of the songs are hurt by the incredibly low guitar tuning. A couple of tracks would be improved by simply tuning the guitars up a few steps. When it gets that low it just sounds muddy and loses punch and crispness.

The vocal processing is a little overused...especially since I like Tom's voice just as it is. I don't feel like he ever gets to really show all of the emotion and intensity he has before, except in the short piano track at the end. There are a few moments where the processing is used well though.

As of now, this is my least favorite Evergrey album. Some of the songs I wasn't crazy about at first are growing on me. There are a few tracks I really do like a lot, but there is one track (Lost) that I find myself just skipping, which I normally don't do when I listen through any other Evergrey album (unless I'm wanting to hear a particular song of course). The chorus to Lost is repeated too much....there is even a point where the song seems to being going into an interlude type part and it just jumps suddenly back to the chorus, like part of the song was just cut out.

There are so many elements to Evergrey's music that I love, and it seems many of them are fading away in this album.

Those are just a few random observations and opinions I have so far. I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of the album.

I also find it disappointing about the low mix of the keyboard. In "I should" you can hear there are some really cool keyboard parts but they are too much in the backround. I've only listened to the album once and sofar my favourite tracks would be "The curtain fall" , "Till Dagmar" and "closure". Hopefully it grows on me... I'll still buy it anyway.