Every decade has its band...

Oct 8, 2005
the 60s had Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, the 70s had Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and the 80s had Metallica Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. But what band (or bands) do you think represent the 90s? I'm reluctant to say Nirvana because I think they lean more to the punk than the metal side. Or maybe there was no single band...

Well it depends on what genre you're talking about. Overall I think it was Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, and Tool.

affinityband said:
And of course darling Opeth.

Yes. Opeth. They're good. Point is

Katatonia
Anathema
Opeth
Tool

All the above metal bands have been around for a while. They aren't 90's.... Slayer was just "80's". All of the bands I listed haven't died out yet, they still have an insane fan base.

I think ALice in Chains, TOOL, and NIN own the 90's, unfortunately Korn did have their time, they suck balls though at least those other 3 bands I mentioned still rock out, well AIC is dead, but Jerry Cantrell himself still rocks out!

angelofdeath9308 said:
the 60s had Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, the 70s had Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and the 80s had Metallica Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. But what band (or bands) do you think represent the 90s? I'm reluctant to say Nirvana because I think they lean more to the punk than the metal side. Or maybe there was no single band...

What criterias are demanded here? Popularity, quality, personal importance? Each of those decades "had" tens, maybe hundred of bands (especially the 90's). Besides, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were mainly 70's bands (Led Zeppelin's debut was released 1969 and Sabbath's 1970).

edit: and Iron Maiden's 1980.

I think Pearl Jam deserves some recognition for the 90's

My vote would go to Nirvana for killing off that horrible girly/ballad garbage, if for nothing else. Thank you Kurt

GNR was the best from 88' to 92'. I'm not sure if they really defined either decade though ???

~~~~~~~ RIP Layne ~~~~~~~

if we are talking about a band that best represented the american attitude during the 90's, probably limp bizkit. is there any other band that started so shitty and sold out so much??

annt said:
What criterias are demanded here? Popularity, quality, personal importance? Each of those decades "had" tens, maybe hundred of bands (especially the 90's). Besides, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were mainly 70's bands (Led Zeppelin's debut was released 1969 and Sabbath's 1970).

edit: and Iron Maiden's 1980.

Haha everyone look at the first sentence of his post. Sound familiar?

As much as I hate to admit, Metallica might very well be one of them. The Black Album in 1991 soared them to popularity among, well, pretty much everyone. And then, Load and Reload later in the decade were talked about so damn much because of the argument of sellout or not that you could walk into an old folk's home during Bingo time and pretty much expect the topic to come up at some point.