Every decade has its band...

blimey said:
You're missing the entire point. Just because the bands were formed in the 90's doesn't mean they are "90's" bands.

If we were to use your logic, you would notice that Nirvana was actually formed in 1985, therefore Nirvana would be an 80's band. No.

Even though Emperor, My Dying Bride, Katatonia and At the Gates were formed in the 90's the majority still continue to make music and they have an enormous fan base today.

what the other guy was getting at, and what most people here probably understand (hopefully) is that emperor, katatonia, at the gates and my dying bride (along with most other quality extreme metal ie: Dissection, carcass, death, edge of sanity etc) released their best albums in the 90s, and were fluently active/fresh in the 90s, unlike today. sorry to break it to you, but at the gates has been dead for almost 10 years, emperor HAS recently reformed for some festival dates, but haven't recorded anything in the past 4-5 years. Katatonia hasn't done anything metal in 10 years...and my dying bride's heyday was in the 90s. Those are 90s bands...in the nightside eclipse (1993)...slaughter of the soul (1996), dance of december souls/bravemurder day (1993-1995) and turn loose the swans/angel and the dark river (94-96). Tool was definitely massive and very groundbreaking in the 90s. Now they appeal mostly too either people who love lateralus, or pseudo intellectual existentialist high schoolers who fail to make themselves happy.

Having thought about this issue now, I'd probably say Nirvana, Radiohead, Korn and maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica too. I know 3 of those bands' debuted in the 80's, but they did have a large impact on the following decade too. There are obviously many more important bands, but well, I think (for now) these were the biggest.

*cries*

I cannot see why Nirvana are revered so much...their music sucked! (in my opinion)
Seriously its just powerchords!
I'm sorry but that stuff just does not interest me...

NB Best band of 00s Blut Aus Nord, Akercocke and Opeth
No need to hear any other music for the coming 5 years...these bands own!

April Etheral said:
*cries*

I cannot see why Nirvana are revered so much...their music sucked! (in my opinion)

I don't know how old you are, but to really grasp what made Nirvana so good, you kinda need to be a 14-19 year old in 1991. Looking back on their albums now doesn't seem all that special, but their impact was humungous and sparked a shift in rock n roll music in general.

April Etheral said:
*cries*

Well, I don't like their music either but you can't deny the influence they had on thousands of bands worldwide. Even if those bands suck too.

Dreadful said:
slaughter of the soul (1996)

how anyone can think this was their best work is beyond me, though its popularity seems to place me in the minority

Ayuga said:
want it or not Pantera owned the 90`s !

See, I was a big fan of Pantera, I still am. I grew up with them and I know what you're talking about. As I said before, they were fucking big and respected in my country, not to mention that Dimebag Darrell influenced a legion of guitarists/fans and bands as well as every other member alive in the band (at least in my country). Their impact in the 90's were huge because of Phil's big ego (he's also famous for throwing shit to every thing that walks on this earth) his lyrics, the great band they had, their addictions/parties/jokes/ and well known fights, their music ...and now their musical legacy for generations to come.
Just like every other fucking metal band who marks or make a difference in music. (ex: Death, Venom, Candlemass and so on.)
I'm not showing off the passion and the terrible respect I have for them, because everyone knows it. :D

I never liked Nirvana, but they had their own big shit back then and whatever you think or not, they were responsible of a new kind of sound (personally I liked more Dinosaur Jr. a band that were constantly ripped off by Nirvana because Cobain was a big fan of them, but who cares now, right?) and they deserved being respected for that. Period.

But saying that Pantera 'owned the 90's' I guess it's too much, I'd have said that but just because of my fanatism with them. We're exchanging opinions here and you said that -which is a personal opinion- but I believe, not objective.

My respect to you.

Scarlett Letterman said:
I don't know how old you are, but to really grasp what made Nirvana so good, you kinda need to be a 14-19 year old in 1991. Looking back on their albums now doesn't seem all that special, but their impact was humungous and sparked a shift in rock n roll music in general.
I don't really like their music, but I was just nominating them because of their immense influence on 90s music. Even if it was a bad influence. But, of course, you can't call bands bad because they had a bad influence on music...Pearl Jam is good, even if every crap generic rock singer of the 90s tried to copy Eddie Vedder's vocal style.

Let me put Opeth (firmly) at the position of the 00's band
....because of their blossoming in this decade.

and The Beatles as 60's...
...for their complete output, but mostly - as this really is an ON TOPIC response - for their really progressive hard rock (!) song "Helter skelter".

(If you haven't heard "Helter skelter" yet, then you are in for a big surprise or even shock!)

You simply can't ignore that song for it's grim sounds and it's effect on other musicians.

RiffBoy said:
Let me put Opeth (firmly) at the position of the 00's band
....because of their blossoming in this decade.

and The Beatles as 60's...
...for their complete output, but mostly - as this really is an ON TOPIC response - for their really progressive hard rock (!) song "Helter skelter".

(If you haven't heard "Helter skelter" yet, then you are in for a big surprise or even shock!)

You simply can't ignore that song for it's grim sounds and it's effect on other musicians.

Again, Opeth is too underground to own any decade. Noone would say camel owned the 70's would they. Besides, Opeth's 'blossoming' happened with Orchid in 94 imo, or you could make an argument with MAYH.