Evil Dead remake

I'm not looking forward to it, it doesn't even have Bruce Campbell in it so it's not evil dead to me. It's just a wannabe film of a classic, remakes never are as good as the original.

Well, hard R rated films these days are rare as they come, from big studios anyways so I'm really looking forward how far they are going to push this. And with Sam Raimi's blessing I don't consider this as blasphemy, originals still stand their ground untouchable despite how many remakes are made (and this goes for all remakes out there). Nice touch to leave CGI out of this, that really in my mind is great homage towards original films.

Okay so there's no CGI and it actually looks like it might be okay... but I'm going to be a party pooper - as a big time horror fan I have a massive, MASSIVE problem with Hollywood (if you can call it that - 'Hollywood' has been dead for years in my opinion) remaking all the classics. While I'd agree it's difficult to come up with original concepts these days, I think it's pretty obvious all these remakes haven't come about due to the lack of ideas. It's more likely down to the fact that remakes are safer and more profitable than coming up with something new - and slapping a 'Nightmare on Elm Street' or 'Evil Dead' tag guarantees bums on seats (as Dave says, he'll probably check it out, and I'm the same), it's all £$£$ in the pockets of the big production companies. You really think they care about the genre? Hell no, they take a steaming shit on horror, it's classics and it's fans every time they rehash one of these franchises. If you want good horror these days you need to look outside of Hollywood.

Though I will say this, not ALL remakes are bad. And this one DOES look like it might be okay... it's just something I feel pretty strongly about...

Rant over/ :loco:

I believe Bruce Campbell is producing it or some such, he has a hand in it anyway. Buuuut, it doesn't need to be made, the original is good enough. They will just make it look pretty, add a sex scene and then cash in.

Lame

I don't mind studios doing remakes, there's always a choice to ignore them and watch originals. I'll bet that Raimi has always wanted to remake this classic with decent budget, I know I would. Of course making money is main goal these days, but if product pleases me as viewer then why not. Shut up and take my money I say:popcorn:

what about young people that have never seen the original

it's rated R, instead of PG-13, so there's prolly gonna be some female nipples somewhere in it

but

being rated R is not really going to stop people under 18 from seeing the movie
(i myself must have seen a whole hundred seperate rated R movies before i turned 18)

the original evil dead movie is from 1981
so there's gonna be a lot of people 18/19/20 who will have already seen the re-make before they even realize that's it's a re-make

i think the "lack of CGI" is to please the fans of the original, (which i personnally love btw) but at the end of the day, i think a huge chunk of the ticket sales (perhaps even most of the ticket sales) are going to be from people that will watch the movie without even knowing that it's a re-make

and will it be entertaining to the people that don't realize it's a re-make??
i think so, i think people that don't notice that it's a re-make will love this movie

Wasn't Evil Dead 2 a remake of the first one? :lol: I don't know about anyone else but I prefer Evil Dead 2 over Evil Dead. Dead by Dawn! Dead by Dawn! :lol:

Well, let's hope that this movie inspires some of those youngsters to watch original.

yeah
i think i think for a lot of people it would,
me personnally, when i watch a movie that's a re-make, i usually end up watching the original on DVD

Its getting good reviews. I'm more than happy to let someone else have a go at the world of the Evil Dead, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it, plus it seems like more of a seperate story than a remake....... even if it is poor, it doesnt take anything away from the original, it's always there.

even if it is poor, it doesnt take anything away from the original, it's always there.

My point exactly, as with any remake.

Edit. Reminds me of discussion few times back when Amorphis released their Magic & Mayhem, collection of songs from early years re-recorded with some updates and naturally new singer Tomi Joutsen. Those pointless rants like "why they make this" "is this really necessary" etc etc... It's very simple, if one does not like new singer or doesn't want to hear new versions of old songs it's better to listen those oh so beloved originals. They don't magically disappear when new versions are released...