"Evil In You" lyrics - meaning?

Necrometer

Jun 8, 2006
I already have some thoughts on these lyrics, but I don't want to bias the discussion, so I'll come back and post what I'm thinking in a few days. But I ask - what do you all think these lyrics mean? If the band could comment, that would be great, although sometimes that takes away the fun and discussion of interpreting...

The time is right you and I
We will fight the final battle
Gone away the bond of passion
Death of faith, left aggression
We sworn the oath, now it is broken
Gone away with deception
I'll root out the nest of rebellion
Wage of sin, total subjection
The ancient law from the old union - obedience !
In the face of judge you regret
Sue for mercy before the creating
Remove the one for me to end
Only way to endless purity
Now you find the path of rightness
Opens the gate to deepest openness
True peace in the place of paradise
Will decay
Whiplash, flowing tears
Resumed respect
Supreme power
Beats the evil out of you

well i think - and personally i love the lyric - that its about confessing the sins and the prize we get after death "true peace in the place of paradise"...

take into account that Ancestor i sometimes described as a Christian metal band - wheather u like it or not :p

thats what ive seen on forums or sth.. personally i havent heard ancestor yet.. and yes yes SHAME ON ME... i better take some time and look for it somewhere- both music and the lyrics..

and what u see in the lyric depends on your point of view..

i discovered Kalmah through Christian forums and ancestor.. i think i read a bio of ancestor or sth...

that was quite long ago O.O

Corialote said:
well i think - and personally i love the lyric - that its about confessing the sins and the prize we get after death "true peace in the place of paradise"...

OK, glad I wasn't the first to say it, but these lyrics seem to have strong Christian overtones. However, it's hard for me to say if they are endorsing Christian traditions or condemning them. Corialote quoted true peace in the place of paradise but it's important to note that the next "line" (will decay) is probably part of that sentence, basically saying that the true peace will decay.

I think the overall theme of this song is to criticize the idea that FORCED repentance is no repentance at all. A sensible moral code would have a person willingly atone for their sins, and come to terms that way. However, in Christian practice (Catholicism, especially in the past) atonement is done through an assigned practice (such as saying prayers on the rosary) or even beating or torturing people to punish them for sinning (this DID happen in medieval times, right?). This theory doesn't help the first verse of the song make sense (The time is right you and I / We will fight the final battle... WHAT final battle?) but I think the second verse and the chorus certainly work with my explanation... Supreme power beats the evil out of you: This idea seems like a big contrast to the traditional idea of a regretful person repenting for their sins.

Whether Kalmah's roots were Christian, I never found strong themes in their more recent lyrics, and "Using the Word" on They Will Return certainly seems to be anti-Christian, or at least extremely critical of certain Christian practices:

Surrounded by lies... and greed
Killing a thousand years old culture
Taking away the dream
Wasting development
Disturbing the peace
Using the word means power
Using religion as a shield

Any comment from the Kalmah guys would be great right about now :)

-Rivfader- said:
It means taking a shit after eating White Castles

Don't test me - I know a thing or two about White Castles...

100_1987.jpg

For the lyrics, remember that "faith" is not equal to religion. I'd guess the meaning has a bit of that "faith" here or there, mostly like writers personal, but the lyrics are still pretty clearly antireligious.

You guys were supposed to talk about the deep lyrical themes here, not laugh at eating small hamburgers! :(

Anyway, I've eating 33 of those in a day, and my speed record was 20 in an hour or something like that. Ewww, I don't even like those nasty little things...

Those aren't even real hamburgers, as opposed to...
thurman1.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it could be about...divorce?

The final battle would be the breakup or the divorce, and this would indeed be the FINAL battle that the couple would have. Then it goes on to mention the 'bond of passion' that has gone away.
'we swore the oath, now it is broken' That being the vows said during a marriage. 'gone away with deception' hints at possible cheating that's causing the problem. (cheating is mention later in the song)
'in the face of judge you regret, sue for mercy before the cheating'
Again. Judge, sue, cheat. Sounds like a divorce.

I'm tired of deciphering lyrics. You get the idea. Probably not right, but a different approach at least.