Explorer, what is the best?

Stondis

May 16, 2002
I'm thinking about getting a Explorer style guitar... a Gibson is way too expensive for me.
Has anyone played an Epiphone/Jackson etc and would you recommend it? Or do any other companies make similar things? (I love that 1950s idea of a futuristic shape)
Damn, I need a proper axe! My Strat sucks the root!

EDIT: Oops! Meant to put this on the other forum. Efterbliven!

btw....explorers are awkward as fuck to play, you have to raise your elbow really high to get it over the back. It's okay to play rythm stuff standing up but its really awkward sitting.

I already have problems with my right shoulder because of guitar playing, playing the explorer for a while would cripple me!

Originally posted by bleed for me
btw....explorers are awkward as fuck to play, you have to raise your elbow really high to get it over the back. It's okay to play rythm stuff standing up but its really awkward sitting.

I already have problems with my right shoulder because of guitar playing, playing the explorer for a while would cripple me!

I don't think you're supposed to play the explorer sitting down, you're supposed to play it with 1 foot on a monitor (same goes for the Flying V or any other rock "axe")

Cheers for the recommendation!

yea, but when you practice at home do you practice standning up with one foot propped up on something? coz when i practice at home i sit down and relax! its all about personal choice i guess...

Originally posted by bleed for me
yea, but when you practice at home do you practice standning up with one foot propped up on something? coz when i practice at home i sit down and relax! its all about personal choice i guess...

Heh heh, I ALWAYS rock out

Yeah good point though...

FUCK epiphone...they are so shit

Actually... my Epiphone LesPaul Custom is just briliant..
sounds great, is heavy enough, and i love the looks of it..
Epiphone/gibson sound depends a lot of the mic´s (you cant go wrong with those humbuckers )... so if you dont like the original, just go fetch for a new set of them... =)

I hate Epiphone and I hate Explorer's .. I don't understand why someone would wan't to play something as shitty sounding as an Epiphone and as uncomfortable as the Explorer .. if you could combine the shape of the Epiphone Les Paul and the sound of the explorer you'd have a nice guitar Id think ..I'll stick to B.c RIch and Gibson ..

Most of your extreme looking guitars', such as Explorers/Kelly's, BC Rich, V's etc., value ends at their looks. The construction methods, wood quality, pickup quality, usually don't equate to the price you pay. Explorers typically have all mahogany set neck construction. This set up produces very bassy/midrangy tones. Stock pickups in Epiphones, Jacksons, etc. typically leave this guitar sounding like mud. If that's the kind of sound you're going for, then maybe its worth it. If the sound is more important to you than the looks, I'd go with a Carvin or Warmoth. Both companies build factory direct custom guitars, meaning you can get one for about the same price as an ESP, Jackson, Epiphone, or BC. Rich. Carvin builds neck through guitars which is an excellent construction technique, and they offer many wood, color, and pick up options. Warmoth is similar, but they build bolt on guitars only. They have many options for body styles, including Explorers. Also, they have alot of information about neck and body woods and the kinds of sound they produce. Stay away from the Japanese import guitars. In my opinion, they are not worth the price.

I thought this thread was about Ford Explorers, heh heh...

Anyways, I agree with most of what dune_666 said... All except the part about Japanese import guitars... I play a Jackson Import and I love it! I've been playing this single guitar for 7 or 8 years now and it's practically stock... (I just changed the bridge pickup...)

I've played Jackson Kelly's before and they are really nice (but I love Jackson's in general) but the only Explorer I've played was one a friend had that he built/hacked... I've played Warlocks and other odd shaped guitar's and I have to say, I don't like them all that much... There is one odd shaped guitar that I really think is interesting and it's made by Jackson... For the life of me I can't remember what it's called... Excalabur or something like that, I think... Kinda shaped like a V mixed with a Kelly or something like that... Really odd... If I were ever to buy an odd shaped guitar, it would be the one I get, mainly because I've never seen anybody else with one... (Anybody know the guitar I'm talking about?)

All in all, I'd take dune's advice and check out some Carvins or Warmoth... (Carvin has some odd shaped guitars that look pretty cool, plus they make really good quality guitars for the buck...)

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you're really set on an Explorer, I'd try out some ESP's... I don't like 'em all that much but I do like them better than Epiphone...

Originally posted by dune_666
Stay away from the Japanese import guitars. In my opinion, they are not worth the price.

imo they are! japanese guitars are really worth it because the price is alot cheaper than US built guitars and the quality IS good. Definetly stay away from KOREAN made guitars. Now they are fuckin crappy.

I myself am an ibanez RG man. Easily the best guitar i've played in terms of feel. The neck is so fuckin fast and they probably have the best licensed floyd rose bridges. AND they look amazing, it has these awesome mirrored shark tooth inlays. Once i replace the stock pickups, its gonna be unbeatable!

As for b.c rich, i fuckin hate em. They look so cheap and tacky.