Exposing Others to Metal

ohiogrinder said:
my friend Bill is so fucked up sometimes. he likes classic rock but thinks Slipknot is heavier than Morbid Angel. what a moron!

ugh.gif

Bill is retarded.

While I may get shot for this, Slipknot's sound (Not vocals) is decent for an Alternative Genre Band.

However "heavy" wise, Slipknot is just some dude screaming fuck you and shove my fingers in my eyes blah blah blah.. bullshit. (I really hope Slayer is moving to this crowd..)

Heavier then morbid angel... heh..

I must confess that i like some of slipknots songs, sure they arent metal but i dont really care anymore...i guess ive gone past the stage where i wont listen to a band by principal that they are mainstream and 240974340 young 14 yr old girly fags like em.

I do like the song wait and bleed, much after iowa was turely shithouse though...

Please dont shoot me

edit
but yeh they arent heavier than morbid angel, so tell bill hes a cunt

ohiogrinder said:
my friend Bill is so fucked up sometimes. he likes classic rock but thinks Slipknot is heavier than Morbid Angel. what a moron!
What does liking classic rock have anything to do with it?

Wait and Bleed (IMO) is the only one of their offerings I truly can listen through all the way and not get tired of it.

Danallica said:
I must confess that i like some of slipknots songs, sure they arent metal but i dont really care anymore...i guess ive gone past the stage where i wont listen to a band by principal that they are mainstream and 240974340 young 14 yr old girly fags like em.

I do like the song wait and bleed, much after iowa was turely shithouse though...

Please dont shoot me

edit
but yeh they arent heavier than morbid angel, so tell bill hes a cunt

We must now string you up in the town square for all to see.

SheisMySin said:
I'm totally exposing my 3 year old to metal. He's all about jumping up and down and saying "Raaaaaaaar!"

His grandma stayed with us for a few months, and she's Catholic, and hated my music, I can't wait for him to give her the devil's horns and say "Raaaaar!" to metal....she's going to have a heart attack.

Scott

What a good son/father you are.........

At least he's doing somthing with the child and not leaving him in a parking lot, in a locked car, for several hours like every other family seems to be doing.

Going back to Turbo's point, yes most people think SlipKnoT if they hear the words 'heavy metal', and yes SlipKnoT are a sick band. But compared to stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle and Graveworm, SlipKnoT are fairly light in comparison.
As Turbo pointed out, most people need to start off with something light, and the first metal band I ever heard was SlipKnoT, so it is not neccesarily (however that's spelled) true that evryone needs to start off with soft metal/rock, and I know sum ppl who love Cradle and the like, but don't like the lighter stuff and never have. Just thought I'd point that out...lol

TheVaine said:
At least he's doing somthing with the child and not leaving him in a parking lot, in a locked car, for several hours like every other family seems to be doing.

Lord, children in Florida still die every year because a parent (usually father) leaves them in the car with the windows up and they die of heat exposure. Their tempurature goes up to like 110 and they just boil their brains.

People are idiots. It's always on the news every year and people down there are told not to leave their kids (or animals, who also die all the time that way) in the car but they do it anyway.

Susperia said:
What a good son/father you are.........

I'm a very responsible parent, especially when it comes to music/movies and my son. I don't put on music in which he could hear loud profanity...and if I do by mistake, I turn it off immediately.

I don't see anything wrong with letting him thrash around to metal though? Nothing like Napalm Death...more Nightwish, In Flames, Faith No More, Testament, Kalmah...stuff that is heavy, but not just noise.

Scott

In regards to Slipknot, I definitely think of them as metal...and yes, they are more aggressive and adrenaline inducing than Morbid Angel (not heavier though). I'm not going to argue opinions, so save it. :)

It's a lot easier to get full of hate when you can sing along to a catchy song that is made with simple aggressive riffs as opposed to the monotonous death metal "Raaaaaar!" sometimes. Take away the vocals and their image, and the music is definitely a controlled chaotic metal.

"You can't kill me because I'm already inside you..." Awesome line. A lot more scary and intense than a lot of death metal bands - sorry.

Scott

Yeh, they are more aggressive and all tht, they're my favourite band actually. But anyway, as for intense lines, 'KnoT songs are filled with them, like in 'The Shape':
'I don't wanna do this anymore - Everything's shit - everything's been taken - Forsaken - gotta start it over cuz I'm hearing it Backwards - DON'T make sense - DON'T feel better - Who's better? It's not that simple - You gotta figure it out before you make things difficult - It's not a word, it's a problem, the problem was easy - Draw your conclusions - solutions? Anybody else wanna run? Contorting, distorting - I am undone - One less propaganda nightmare fixture - Are you getting the picture?'

Are we some kind of missonary to educate the pagan savages.

I will stick to just finding interesting music for me to listen to.... I don't give a fuck what other people listen to.

On the strange sub-topic of what our parents listen to... my mum listens to nothing really and my dad listens to metal, hard rock and classic rock... it was how I was exposed to metal.

Casual people don't like metal due to the fact that it's not music that you can just get into right away. It's an acquired taste. A good way to convert non-metalheads into metalheads is to start them out with stuff that's not too heavy and then gradually move them up into heavier stuff.