Exposing Others to Metal

There was one song that actually perturbed me greatly. It was going on and on about how rednecks were "the chosen ones" (no joke) and how great living in the South was. Made me go
ugh.gif

cookiecutter said:
I listened to country on the radio on a long car trip recently. It was really wierd. They were saying GOOD things about Jesus. It was a radical shift from the usual.
"Jesus take the wheel!"

I hate that song, as well as all other country.

They said Metal had subliminal messages...

Listen to some Alan Jackson backwards and in fast motion and don't tell me that he's not speaking of evil chipmunk overlords from heaven coming to kill us all..

Do it.. Do it now!

I find that it's a lot easier convince other music enthusiasts rather than the casual radio listener to listen to metal. It also depends on the genre that the other person is familiar with. I would never bring an electronica fan to a metal show, but I would bring an indie rocker.

Easiest bands to get into are fringe metal bands like Green Carnation, Boris, Sunn O))), Isis, Katatonia, etc...

i got my friend of mine into metal...he only listened to punk and emo so i saved him from a fate of slit wrists and girls jeans. he started out with trivium but moved onto iced earth and bolt thrower and celtic frost and even for some reason...finntroll...my friend still likes punk though...the emo is gone thankfully

Impudent said:
"Jesus take the wheel!"

I hate that song, as well as all other country.

I think you would like Aeon - God Gives Head In Heaven country version, I only like this song because it has funny lyrics.

Teh Grimarse said:
sunn o))) = easy to get into = wtf?
Seriously no joke! Every Sunn O))) show I go to is 10xs more packed than any metal show at the same venue. I know many indie people that are into Sunn O))). They're like a fad now.

I'd scan the article if I had it, but they were even featured in the New York Times Magazine last Sunday (May 28th). How's that for popularity? It's probably 'cause there's no blast beats or insane vocals.

Edit: Oh yeah... the article: http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0613FC3B5A0C7B8EDDAC0894DE404482&oref=slogin. You can only read it if you're a NYTimes member.

There is no point in exposing metal or anything to someone unless they ask.

I'm totally exposing my 3 year old to metal. He's all about jumping up and down and saying "Raaaaaaaar!"

His grandma stayed with us for a few months, and she's Catholic, and hated my music, I can't wait for him to give her the devil's horns and say "Raaaaar!" to metal....she's going to have a heart attack.

Scott

One time my christian aunt was over and I did not know and I was listening to Immolation really really loud.

No wonder she rarely brings her kids here. She probably thought demons were conjuring up in my bedroom.

my parents were exposed to metal through my band playing at battle of the bands at my school. we r progressive death metal with some thrash and once my lead singer brought out the death metal vocals my parents denounce anything with screaming...my drummer's mom wouldn't even go to the concert cause we practice in her basement and my cousin jumped from her seat...we blew out the mics and the amps and the drums and the eardrums of the audience...it was so gr8

noitcefrepdewalf said:
my parents were exposed to metal through my band playing at battle of the bands at my school. we r progressive death metal with some thrash and once my lead singer brought out the death metal vocals my parents denounce anything with screaming...my drummer's mom wouldn't even go to the concert cause we practice in her basement and my cousin jumped from her seat...we blew out the mics and the amps and the drums and the eardrums of the audience...it was so gr8

that's the way to do it! convert the masses!

my friend Bill is so fucked up sometimes. he likes classic rock but thinks Slipknot is heavier than Morbid Angel. what a moron!