Exposing Others to Metal

I'm going to start printing out lyrics to Death songs from Spiritual Healing on up and taping them to the wall.

Then when people get curious about then I'll tell them that a great band wrote them, and then they will be interested in the band, and then they will seek them out.

Then once they do that the ones that don't like the vocals will go back to crap, and those that do will go on and explore the metal scene!

I can dream ...

Teh Grimarse said:
you don't know very much about very many things, do you.

well I'm only defending the fact that Rammstein are metal, as you may know. I was highlighting a few characteristics often found in metal that are present in Rammstein.

Teh Grimarse said:
having two guitarists and double-kick drumming is in absolutely no way something unique to metal whatsofuckingever.

so what else is it unique to? And I didn't mean it as unique to metal I was saying that it is most predominant in metal.

It's ok to admit your mistake in thinking Rammstein aren't metal rather than trying to win a debate on a subject you could care less about.

you're right. we have our own perspectives and opinions. There's no sense arguing over classifications. No hard feelings.

Well first of all, it took me a while to get to the stuff I listen to now, but it was only because I was very interested in exploring other genres of music. I started out listening to rap since about 9th grade, I never though I would listen to metal, I always said I hated it and thought it was gay, the only rock I listened to was Linkin Park. Friend of mine introduced me with Tool, which I know is not metal, but it was the only other rock band I've heard, and I enjoyed it, then he sent me a song by "Dry Kill Logic" which I know is a shit band, but I kinda liked it. From there on I started discovering bands by myself, from Slipknot to Nothingface to Killswitch Engage, to the stuff I listen to now.

My family doesn't really listen to any metal, my older brother listens to rap and believes I worship the Devil, my parents are old and don't listen to any music, just Brazilian samba and their country's music.However, my sister who is 13 years old grabbed my iPod one day and enjoyed listening Evergrey and Cradle of Filth, now all she talks about is Evergrey's new album, so it looks like their might be hope for her.

As far as friends go, I only know 2 people that actually listen to death metal/black metal. Another friend of mine who listened to a lot of the same music back when I was listening to metalcore and nu-metal, listened to a few songs on my iPod now and thought most of it sucked. I put on a Hypocrisy song and he says "dude, this is gay I don't like it", I replied "dude stop listening to Slipknot" and he just kept babbling on about how Slipknot is better then the bands I had on my ipod :lol:

I believe that metal isn't for everyone, for some it appeals to them and some it doesn't, they will never get past the myth that it is all about death/violence/satan and "All they're doing is screaming, I can do this shit."
Until people get past these myths, they will not see it my way, and look at metal a unique form of music. Some call it brutal, I call it beauty.

UndyingDarkness said:
I believe that metal isn't for everyone, for some it appeals to them and some it doesn't, they will never get past the myth that it is all about death/violence/satan and "All they're doing is screaming, I can do this shit."

And that's part of the reason I'm of the opinion that power could be a good way to start people. I'm not intending to say or imply there being anything wrong with other lyrical styles, but with power you're more like to have a trained singer who do vocals in a way many people wouldn't think of as metal.

After giving them a softer start, showing people that metal isn't only screaming and devil-worshiping, you can then move onto heavier, harder, more brutal stuff.

Coat the knife in cake, it will be easier to sneak in.

cookiecutter said:
Bring in your favorite Grindcore album and play it as loud as you can. If they question you act normal, and say "what, you guys listen to your music all they time":kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I should. most of the people I work with are special needs kids (for the record, I myself am Autistic, so I'm one of a kind, being an autistic man who listens to extreme music).

anonymouswierdo said:
And that's part of the reason I'm of the opinion that power could be a good way to start people. I'm not intending to say or imply there being anything wrong with other lyrical styles, but with power you're more like to have a trained singer who do vocals in a way many people wouldn't think of as metal.

After giving them a softer start, showing people that metal isn't only screaming and devil-worshiping, you can then move onto heavier, harder, more brutal stuff.

Agreed, although it really depends on the person. If they are curious and open minded, thrash like Slayer may be a good start as well. My mom liked Dead Skin Mask :kickass: :kickass:

anonymouswierdo said:

I agree, some people believe that power metal will be the next big trend :)

It's not the best sub-genre of metal, but it's better then fucking rap.