extended range - per string outputs?

fretfingers

Jan 16, 2011
Listening to Tosin talk about his done but then hearing how silly the open low 8 sounds clean got me thinking that maybe the right amp for the higher strings isn't the right amp for the lower.

What if we had a way to send different strings to different amps?! You'd lose the string interaction that effects the tone of the preamp but maybe you gain a whole new approach to guitar tone?

Is it just my add talking or could this be an interesting approach for improved extended range tone?

Look at why people use more than one amp, or why it's common to split the bass DI in metal. Granted it's not the same thing, but it's still a similar idea; you're processing different frequency ranges individually.

Reactions: JShadows
Per string output would be weird, but you could biamp your signal. It was a pretty common technique to run a really gainy mesa alongside a less distorted plexi. Getting articulation while still having girth.

Reactions: BearOnGuitar
Could be the future of pickups. More technology in the pickup itself. recording would give you each string output. 8 different signals. I'm not sure how you'd record that because a normal cable probably can't do that I imagine. We have technology like Ax Fx III which sounds incredibly close to real amps. So maybe it's time for pickups? I know there is like one pickup that does this. But I mean more advanced and better sounds. Something allows you to get something like 8 different outputs for the strings or whatever. If not 8 we can start with 4 outputs (two string outputs).

Though we are just speculating. I don't think anyone here (in this post) works on pickups or the technology behind it. Pickups haven't really changed since the 50s, maybe it's time.

What if we had a way to send different strings to different amps?! You'd lose the string interaction that effects the tone of the preamp but maybe you gain a whole new approach to guitar tone?

Look up hexaphonic ("hex") pickups. This has existed for standard-range guitars for a long time. The Kramer Ripley guitar might be relevant as well - mixing of strings was done onboard the guitar with final output being "only" stereo. EVH used it.