Face Off 6: Anathema vs. Porcupine Tree

Who is nicer?

• Total voters
Alternative 4 is a dark rock album, with some piano/keyboards, acoustic guitars, and totally normal vocals. It's doomy in the sense of being of depressive, but not in the sense of being "doom metal".

Both bands mean a lot to me, but I chose PT.

I love all Anathema albums except The Silent Enigma and A Natural Disaster (both albums have a few good moments but I rarely find myself listening to these albums) and I still haven't listened to the new one enough to be able to say anything about it. As for PT, at first I didn't really care about anything released prior to In Absentia, but meanwhile Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings belong to my favourite PT releases. Signify/Insignificance is also still growing on me and the further I work my way back into their (extensive) discopgraphy, the more and more great songs I discover, it's amazing how one man can compose so much great music.

Another thing hugely, amazingly, ridiculously in favour of PT is live performances, where Anathema are a very shaky live band (particularly their drummer is all over the place) PT are absolutely amazing live.

I went with Anathema too. It's been said before, and I know the years are clicking by, but 'Alternative 4' is one of the top three or four albums ever created. Then you have 'Eternity', 'Judgement'... PT are a great band, but Anathema changed my life.

very tough choice for me, but what it came down to was, although deadwing is a perfect album start to finish, i think i like just a bit more anathema than that, alternative 4 is ok, kinda loses my interest after a few songs, silent enigma is awesome, and a natural disaster is also a perfect album imo

i would also like to tip my hat to bluesky for these threads, i know some people haven't liked these, but i have to say i've really enjoyed these topics, even if im not a fan of all the bands suggested :D
i like hearing others opinions on bands i love

Porcupine Tree are THE music lovers band. there's a little of something for everyone, and then some. possibly the greatest band the world has witnessed

^haha you know i somehow have the feeling that insurgents is secretly the greatest album ever written, and i just havent gotten all of it yet

^haha you know i somehow have the feeling that insurgents is secretly the greatest album ever written, and i just havent gotten all of it yet

no, i was also disappionted in insurgentes, a little. its just to electronic for my tastes. and that post is an just an EXTREMEly exagarated way of saying they are one of my favorite bands. not that everyone in the world should worship them, just to clarify.

Since Porcupine Tree sucks and Anathema is a great band, this is an easy one.

Made me laugh, nice! I don't think PT sucks (I am kinda indifferent to them), but Anathema are one of my favorite bands of all time and their lyrics are fucking sooooo deep. Alternative 4 is a total, epic masterpiece.

no, i was also disappionted in insurgentes, a little. its just to electronic for my tastes. and that post is an just an EXTREMEly exagarated way of saying they are one of my favorite bands. not that everyone in the world should worship them, just to clarify.

oh yeah i got you

i have to say i agree about insurgentes though, i like a lot of it but some is just a bit too repetative and electronic for my tastes also. although everytime i heard it i like something more, so that was my comment, that slowly over years it may become my favorite album

Porcupine Tree and Anathema are both in my top 5 bands, but I would have to say Porcupine Tree. Their discography is much more diverse and they seem to just do almost EVERYTHING well, from a technical standpoint they are a much more impressive band as well.

Porcupine Tree and Anathema are both in my top 5 bands, but I would have to say Porcupine Tree. Their discography is much more diverse and they seem to just do almost EVERYTHING well, from a technical standpoint they are a much more impressive band as well.

Porcupine Tree's discography is quite diverse! But Anathema's really is as well: they went from death metal on the demo's to doom-death, to pink floyd meets doom, to pure atmospheric rock, to more of an indie rock sound, all the way to the dreamy, slow band they are as of today (not even sure what genre to stick them in with the new album).

Anathema.
From Crestfallen all the way up to Judgement are untouchables.
But the later releases from PT are more to my liking than Anathemas later ones.