Face Off 8: Sentenced vs. Amorphis

Choose your Finnish!

• Total voters
Thing is I could care less about the whole death doom scene or arguing over either of these two bands to be honest. Anyhow if I were to think in terms of impact I'd think Paradise Lost first.

Amorphis didn't have a *HUGE* impact on death/doom, they released a great straight death metal album though.

i can understand this statement only if you discovered sentenced through crimson.

frozen was the same down but improved a bit. crimson was the same frozen, with some good singles, but some bad songs as well. after crimson only the production of the albums got better, but the songs got worse. it was the same stuff they already done on down & frozen if you look at the wider picture, you know.

I totally agree. The Cold White Light and The Funeral Album are by far the two worst Sentenced albums for me, totally lacking the catchy & memorable choruses of the previous albums, and the music seemed bland. After listening to each album for several months they ended up being the only Sentenced albums I got rid of. Even though I picked Amorphis I do love Sentenced, they really did some great stuff between North From Here to Crimson!

I totally agree. The Cold White Light and The Funeral Album are by far the two worst Sentenced albums for me, totally lacking the catchy & memorable choruses of the previous albums, and the music seemed bland. After listening to each album for several months they ended up being the only Sentenced albums I got rid of. Even though I picked Amorphis I do love Sentenced, they really did some great stuff between North From Here to Crimson!
Both TCWL and TFA contain a few excellent songs, but overall they are indeed weaker than the preceding albums.

I don't like anything I've heard from Sentenced.
I like most of Amorphis' stuff, old and new. Last albums with the previous singer weren't very good. First and last album with the new singer are really awesome, the second one seemed like a boring clone of the one before it.

Sentenced never grabbed me at all, and I love Amorphis so the choice was easy for me. Like many others, I think Amorphis had a few weak albums toward the mid-point of their career, but I love early and recent Amorphis and I think Tomi Joutsen does a brilliant job performing the older songs. I'm really looking forward to their upcoming DVD (and seeing them at Wacken). :kickass:

I almost can't believe what I'm reading. I'm not gonna say that Amorphis is bad or anything (they're not, but truthfully I don't own any of their albums and have only heard their songs through Youtube over the past couple of years), but for so many of you guys to say that the last couple of Sentenced albums weren't good... I don't know what to say.. I didn't think I'd comment on this thread but after reading some of your comments I felt quite incredulous. I feel that Sentenced is right up there with Kata, Opeth, etc in terms of the sheer power and effect of their music-and I am referring specifically the Ville era. If anything, I'd believe if people had qualms about their music/sound to be too passionate and in your face about it, but saying stuff like the last 2 albums were too bland and not catchy enough, it's like saying we might be breathing a different kind of air that keeps us alive, each one of us. It makes me wonder why we even like Kata and if we even have a few of the same reasons for liking it...

Granted, I'll give you that one has to have a bit of a perverted or morose air about them, or at least be in that kind of mood, to fully enjoy and love Sentenced, but then what about loving Katatonia? Aren't they really more similar than different in this aspect of their music-and is this really a bad thing?

I don't mean to badmouth you guys or anything but feeling as strongly as I do about Sente and wishing that they'd still be together and making music of this kind-- after all, why change what works, if it does as good as their clean, melodic period was-- I feel they deserve at least an inkling more credit than what I've seen here on this thread. Any true intelligent person and music connoseur worth his own salt won't deny that they were true artists living their lives in that music and it's evident by the small(ish) but very well-deserved legion of devoted fans who never leave out words like "They changed my life", "power" and "emotion" when talking about the band. Again, no disrespect, I know people have different tastes in music, but then again there's the "different air" issue and all that..

How much different can peoples' similar tastes in bands get? This is just something that leaves a mystery, and perhaps forever will.

I have only one album by each band and for me Frozen wins over Elegy,so Sentenced it is.

Even though they wrote this love song that shall not be named fron Cold White Light which haunts me to this day ^^

Amorphis didn't have a *HUGE* impact on death/doom, they released a great straight death metal album though.

Totally disagree! There are about a thousand reviews out there that state otherwise and that specifically mention how large of an impact that Tales had on the underground metal scene. Most people I know regard it as a total classic.

I'm going to jump in here too and just put my two cents in that the last two sentenced albums are amazing. 'The Cold White Light' and 'The Funeral Album' are easily Sentenced's best albums - although of course I do love the others, too. I agree with the Sentenced fan, they are up there with Kata and Opeth as far as emotional power and great riffs go. Now doubt.

@ Cerulean: If you think the second of the new Amorphis albums starts to get boring, don't bother with 'Skyforger', the third! It's more of the same. I absolutely love their new sound (I voted Amorphis!) but I really think they need to do some different things for the fourth of Tomi's albums.

@ Cerulean: If you think the second of the new Amorphis albums starts to get boring, don't bother with 'Skyforger', the third! It's more of the same. I absolutely love their new sound (I voted Amorphis!) but I really think they need to do some different things for the fourth of Tomi's albums.

He said he liked the first and third album with the new singer, not the second one.

Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes RULEZ.

In my opinion Sentenced lost a lot after the departure of the old vocalist, Taneli Jarva... their 'North from here', but 'Amok' and 'Love and death' especially are great, but what they recorded after ''Down'' with Ville, is really inferior to the early years.

Amorphis kept going great till 'Am universum'. Unfortunately the following 'Far from the sun' in my opionion is their worse release ever and I didn't neither like the vocals. Great they were back some years after with a vocalist such as Tomi Joutsen and record such as ''Eclipse'' especially. Maybe the last 2 records sound a lil' repetetive if compared to ''Eclipse''.

The 20th anniversary of Amorphis is approaching...

Totally disagree! There are about a thousand reviews out there that state otherwise and that specifically mention how large of an impact that Tales had on the underground metal scene. Most people I know regard it as a total classic.

I don't know how Tales has influenced death/doom specifically anywhere near as much as the actual classics like Winter, Autopsy, etc., but whatevs..

First ep and lp destroy Tales...I think I'm going with Sentenced as my final decision. Amok was the clincher...I know the first two Sentenced albums are overlooked DM classics, but Amok is just a great fusion of metal, and is one of those great standout records that should be recognized as a true breakout album.