Facts/pictures about your country

One evening there was particularly beautiful fullmoon.

IMG_1566_zps99bf2ecd.jpg

Which reminded me of some older moon pics, too...

moon2_zpsa9f8e02b.jpg

moon3_zpsc160c0f5.jpg

moonrise_by_wolverica-d2yki_zps56859e0f.jpg

Celestial_by_Wolverica_zps7b6bade0.jpg

Earlier I posted a photo of a pike head; here is better one of the same thing.

IMG_1986_zpsab9bc691.jpg

Speaking of these animals... Fishing isn't among my hobbies, but couple of days ago my friend and I caught pretty big pike. Of course it ended up fish food and I must say it tasted very good.

IMG_2017_zps8d51c3e4.jpg

Lake seemed beautiful...

IMG_2007_zpse36973c2.jpg

....and there were some swans as well.

IMG_2024_zps876e227d.jpg

I saw couple of cranes too, but they were far and I had only my compact camera with me, so I don't have better pics of them.

IMG_2048_zps4d4baf2b.jpg

And from the other day.

IMG_2180_zps1cd5396f.jpg

IMG_2173_zps3972361d.jpg

IMG_2164_zps4fbc7981.jpg

Before I haven't had much time to explore the nature sights of Helsinki, but this time I could walk around Keskuspuisto. I read that the most beautiful landscapes are in Haltiala (grove forests, rapids and old primeval forests), which sounded quite attractive to me. Here are some pictures from there.

IMG_2235_zpscdc1ba19.jpg

IMG_2236_zpsb8df29ea.jpg

fields_zps8c7c9009.jpg

Pitkäkoski rapids in Vantaanjoki river.

IMG_2276_zps9b09b628.jpg

IMG_2291_zps3e0d30f8.jpg

IMG_2249_zpsb3223ebb.jpg

IMG_2318_zps412924c3.jpg

IMG_2341_zps2a04c98f.jpg

Before I haven't had much time to explore the nature sights of Helsinki, but this time I could walk around Keskuspuisto. I read that the most beautiful landscapes are in Haltiala

Keskuspuisto starts practically at my back door, but for some reason (laziness...?) I haven't been that far north yet; Haltiala is almost Vantaa. Looks like it might be worth a bicycle trip some day, thanks for the tip.
Thumbs_up.gif

Anyway, tonight I went in the other direction for a little midnight stroll around the neighborhood and actually remembered to take a camera along - even though at first it was so foggy that you could barely see more than 50 meters. But it cleared up after a little while - here's the same spot
at 23:49
23-240613_1.jpg

... and at 00:11
23-240613_2.jpg

The boat harbor fading into nothingness:
23-240613_3.jpg

This mast actually looked better than usual tonight...
23-240613_4.jpg

Behind this bench, ladies and gentlemen you can see the lovely island of Seurasaari... NOT.
23-240613_5.jpg

Okay, here you actually CAN see it, mid-picture in the background, but again, this pic was taken half an hour later than the one above:
23-240613_6.jpg

On my way home, 00:25 (gotta love midsummer, seriously...)
23-240613_7.jpg

Where the wild roses grow
23-240613_8.jpg

Only towards the south, the sky was a bit darker, with a quite lovely moon:
23-240613_9.jpg

And now that I've sorted and uploaded these pics, I notice that it's only an hour left until sunrise. Maybe I should go back outside and catch a few pics of that as well. Yawn... maybe not.
sleeping.gif

All kind of fog-things are SO beautiful.

Haltiala is very nice place. I prefer Nuuksio 'cause it's diversity and longer paths, but Haltiala is nice for a couple of hours walk. There is a small domestic zoo in Haltiala: pigs, sheeps, hens etc. which is nice and cute.
And also this guy who just went to the hairdresser
058.JPG

And guess twice which song I have had as a earworm from yesterday...

This scene is quite a predictable when you're travelling to Kuusamo (or anywhere in northern Finland) - deers that are running on the roads. And there were plenty of them today.

Untitled-1_zpsf858b3c5.jpg

And couple from the yesterday evening, from fishing trip with a lovely company...
Heart.gif

IMG_4193_zps9ab0c8c1.jpg

IMG_4218_zps0f0e89c1.jpg

IMG_4165_zps4a2a4b42.jpg

Tuuletar lovely photos, thank you very much :) :worship:

In FB there is a Suomenusko site, meaning ancient pagan religion of finnish. Tomorrow is an important day and I copy the information from Suomenusko site, it is their not mine but you might like these things so I will share their news to you.

Olli’s Day tomorrow marked the first milestone between summer and autumn. Fishing rods were put away, haymaking was over and people started to prepare for fowling season. A sacrifice feast was held where the local earth spirit (maanhaltija) was thanked for the harvest bounty and their protection of the cattle. This was the way the future of livestock luck was ensured. A unsheared spring lamb (villavuona) was slaughtered for the feast.

During the day land was considered sacred. One was not allowed to cut even a blade of grass or collect wild berries. People dressed in their best clothes, and avoided everyday work. Banquet was prepared and beer brewed specially for the occasion. In Karelia, people ate ram and cabbage beef soup. In Ostrobothnia, a special cheese called ‘sirppijuusto’ was prepared.

When the lamb and other foods were carried into the house, water was sprinkled with alder and spruce branches to mark the way of the person carrying the foods from the door to the table. The hostess took little bit of each food and drink and sacrificed them to the maanhaltija by placing the offerings on the floor and into the holes in the kitchen bench. Then the hostess went outside and placed offerings at the foot of the ‘aattokoivu’, a birch placed in the yard on Midsummer’s Eve. Only then were the others allowed to start the meal.

Only long-time residents of the house were allowed to participate in the maanhaltija’s feast, which meant strangers, and even new servants, daughter-in-laws and son-in-laws were excluded. The Scandinavian Forest Finns, however, usually had a well-known musician performing in the feast.