Fame, would you want it?

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well, what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well, yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do shit.

I'm not interested in being famous, but I'd love to be wealthy. One of my goals in life is to own a lucrative business of some sort. I'm not sure what that is going to be yet, but it's on my mind constantly.

~Brian~

I'm not interested in being famous, but I'd love to be wealthy. One of my goals in life is to own a lucrative business of some sort. I'm not sure what that is going to be yet, but it's on my mind constantly.

~Brian~

Same here. I know in at least one way I would be happier...I wouldn't be at work. It might make me unhappy one day, but for the next ten years I'd be traveling my ass off too much to care.

It's sometimes fun to consider how you'd spend a big lottery prize, noting that if you really wanted to, you could buy some level of fame with the money.

Someone won $130 million or so in the Mega Millions lottery here in Mableton, Georgia, about two weeks ago...and the prize is still unclaimed. Let's imagine that was one of us.

If you take the cash option, which most people do, then you'd receive about $78 million in cash. After income taxes at around 45% total, that's about $43 million (substantially less than that after 2009, of course, after the Bush tax-cuts expire).

So, how would you spend your $43 million?

--Or, would you take the annuity option instead? (That works out to about $200,000 per month for thirty years, after taxes.) How would you spend that?

(I'm thinking an Ayreon sponsorship would be pretty high on MY to-do list..... :lol: )

I would love to be in the national spotlight. I would adore paparazzi following my every move; have people reading about my life for better or for worse, and potentially having an impact on another person-- which I would hope would be a positive one. The object of fame is what pushes me harder and harder in life every day.

If you take the cash option, which most people do, then you'd receive about $78 million in cash. After income taxes at around 45% total, that's about $43 million (substantially less than that after 2009, of course, after the Bush tax-cuts expire).

So, how would you spend your $43 million?

I would put together my own army, overthrow the government, and take back the other $87M. Then I would install a benevolent Libertarian dictatorship and get some REAL tax refunds for the rest of you.

You're welcome. :)

--Or, would you take the annuity option instead? (That works out to about $200,000 per month for thirty years, after taxes.) How would you spend that?

10,000 Netflix subscriptions. :headbang:

yes only because that would probably mean i became succesfull in something i love and put my heart and soul into.

if i was born into it and acquired it through inheritance, or it was giving to me for some other reason in which i didnt seek it out...than no, i wouldnt want it.
and i wouldnt be cool with any type of sell-myself type deal.
^^had to add this so metalsped would stop laughing at me, lol.

yes only because that would probably mean i became succesfull in something i love and put my heart and soul into

Oh yeah? :lol:

sp812_Stupid_Spoiled_Whore_Video_Playset.jpg

I would put together my own army, overthrow the government, and take back the other $87M. Then I would install a benevolent Libertarian dictatorship and get some REAL tax refunds for the rest of you.

You're welcome. :)

I think I'll take odds on Uncle Sam winning that particular conflict; $130 million won't get you very far. That's, like, two Joint Strike fighters and an Abrams tank in change. :)

10,000 Netflix subscriptions.

"For the homeless!"

:heh:

BTW, most of the cash-out loss (from $130 million down to $87 million) is due to not opting to take the annuity. Taxes don't figure into it until later.
Lotteries LOOOVE it when winners take the cash option because they pay out less overall, and with less overhead. That's why if you pick the cash option, you CAN'T change your mind later, but if you choose annuity, you have the option of taking the annuity or converting to cash-option.

I am not sure if its MA only, but if you choose the annuity payment form....... and you die, it is not transferable to a relative. You just up and lose it. One reason the cash outlay is so popular.

$43 million? Invest. Assuming some basically lame no risk investment, call it 5% annually, is still pulling in about $180K/mo. Even after taxes, I can't spend that, no way. Figure with that kind of money, you could do a lot better than that also. I'd just have checks cut automatically to family members, some to charities I like, etc. Principal never gets touched.

I'm not the kind of person that gets into big houses and all that. I don't even like really nice restaurants, they give me the creeps. I'd rather just travel, live in hotels, hang out in the places I like for a while. Go to every concert I ever want, sponsor some if I want. Just enjoy life. I'm not about processions, I'm about freedom.

I am not sure if its MA only, but if you choose the annuity payment form....... and you die, it is not transferable to a relative. You just up and lose it. One reason the cash outlay is so popular.

That's lame.

For the Mega Millions, the annuity goes to your estate in the event of your death. (I double-checked that a while ago: http://www.georgialottery.com/gen/aboutUs/faq.jsp#5 )

$43 million? Invest. Assuming some basically lame no risk investment, call it 5% annually, is still pulling in about $180K/mo. Even after taxes, I can't spend that, no way. Figure with that kind of money, you could do a lot better than that also. I'd just have checks cut automatically to family members, some to charities I like, etc. Principal never gets touched.

I'm not the kind of person that gets into big houses and all that. I don't even like really nice restaurants, they give me the creeps. I'd rather just travel, live in hotels, hang out in the places I like for a while. Go to every concert I ever want, sponsor some if I want. Just enjoy life. I'm not about processions, I'm about freedom.

I agree with this pretty much 100%. I'd take care of family and friends first, and then I think I'd do a lot of travelling.

I just want to be able to afford a nice house, perfect for a family of 3, and where I have a room to set my drums up again(been almost 2 damned years) and start bashing away again. I would only want people to maybe notice me and have some fans that respect my drumming, and make money doing what I like, enough to pay the bills, and that is it. I've had some people message me on myspace recently who thought of me and looked me up remembering how they thought I was badass at drums in high school, and that alone felt good(especially when I thought I wasn't that good in high school). Also, I don't need to worry about "getting laid" because I am happily married, so I get what I need on a regular basis, so just a decent living at what I love to do is all that I ask.

P.S., if there are some musicians in the Dallas, Texas area looking for a drummer or to start up a band, please hit me up, I am wanting to start playing again so bad it hurts.

Well, I'm already there, in some circles, minus the money. Which, if I had the money, the headache would be worth it, but I don't, so it's not.

I'm sorry but huh????? No your not there what I am talking about, sorry to burst your bubble....Fame as in household name...

Bear

I wouldn't want to be famous. Think of how there is always someone with a camera in their face. And what if you do want to be normal and have kids, then you gotta worry about them being targets for kidnapping. Then kids grow up with the cameras in their face as well, etc.

I'd be happy with just wealth and being the regular person I am.