Fates Warning @ MoJoes Rollcall

Hrmm...
Well, not sure who or what your sources are.
Can't recall last time they headlined the states.
From what I remember, last they toured was with Dream Theater and QR, and the time before that was supporting Savatage.

Way back they toured headlining over Sanctuary.

Pretty sure they played a few shows here and there last year or the year before. Just things I heard, but actually come to think of it I might be mixing them up with Redemption. Regardless, I'm still shocked they drew that well. They've never been the best band at promotion from what I've seen.

Pretty sure they played a few shows here and there last year or the year before. Just things I heard, but actually come to think of it I might be mixing them up with Redemption. Regardless, I'm still shocked they drew that well. They've never been the best band at promotion from what I've seen.

Oh, in Connecticut, yeah, they have played a couple times.
I thought you meant here in Chicago.......

As far as MoJoes, maybe you are right...
I really don't know.
I have also noticed a lot of improvements at MoJoes.
(IE - sound is better, shows run a LOT more on schedule, you can drink on the main floor, etc...)

Al was telling me that he saw Fates Warning play to 10 people at House of Blues...I can't remember when but the last time they put an album out maybe.

I dont think they toured for FWX, so maybe this was for Disconnected???

I remember shortly after I came back to the area from college they opened for Savatage at HOB (Dead Winter Dead tour, I believe).

If anyone would know for sure, it would be Al!

And finally, ALL prog metal bands could learn a thing or two from Fates on how to "perform" live.

Fates/Savatage is one of the tours on my "ARRRGH WHY DID I MISS THAT" list.

I was just getting back into metal when that tour hit.
I remember seeing the ad and going, "Wow, that would be cool to see Savatage" but then passed since at that time they had a good number of albums I had never heard.

Saw the show the next night in Detroit. FW kicked ass but that was my first time seeing them so take it for what its worth. The turnout, however was horrible even for Detroit. Maybe 100 people in a place that holds over 2,000. Didn't help Slayer was playing 10 miles down the road.

Was it at Harpo's? I've seen some serious dead zones there. Lacuna Coil in 2003, Symphony X/Seven Witches in 2003, Therion in 2005 (shameful), a few others.

Yeah, though there seems to be a lot of new underground metal bands in the Detroit area, shows there do TERRIBLE from what I hear.

Really odd since Detroit has always been a rock n roll town in general.

I mean, Cobo Hall!!! 'Nuff said!

Heh, from going to (metal) shows nonstop from 2001-2008 in southeast MI, I can think of maybe three or four that were packed houses, and I don't think I remember a single one that was actually sold out. Many of them were memorably empty.